IGNORED

Etiquette for selling homebrews/hacks/repros/etc.

No what hurts the hobby is when the producer LIMITS the quantity. If the producer would just sell them as people want them there wouldn't be flipping happening.

Given Albert has people flipping games currently available in the Atari Age store (And thus unlimited) all the time shows that this is going to happen regardless. The only way it won't happen is if the supply is unlimited AND it becomes public knowledge of where to get them. (And that's just not going to happen sadly.)

Given Albert has people flipping games currently available in the Atari Age store (And thus unlimited) all the time shows that this is going to happen regardless. The only way it won't happen is if the supply is unlimited AND it becomes public knowledge of where to get them. (And that's just not going to happen sadly.)

I will assume Albert does not sell on ebay. This is one of my points. If these games were regularly for sale in the markets they are being flipped, the problem would not be as it is. Seeing as how ebay is the main flipping outlet, if these games were marketed there the flippers would most likely not be able to flip for outrageous prices.

I will assume Albert does not sell on ebay. This is one of my points. If these games were regularly for sale in the markets they are being flipped, the problem would not be as it is. Seeing as how ebay is the main flipping outlet, if these games were marketed there the flippers would most likely not be able to flip for outrageous prices.

Albert does sell AA homebrews on Ebay. You're really batting 1000 with your assumptions as of late :thumbsup:

Albert does sell AA homebrews on Ebay. You're really batting 1000 with your assumptions as of late :thumbsup:

Yes, especially when he sees people listing the same carts for dumbass amounts and time permits.

Yes, especially when he sees people listing the same carts for dumbass amounts and time permits.

It's the whole time thing again currently as he's got nothing up right now so the scalpers are free to jack it on up. While the cats away...

Not me, I talked to him today. But again, nice assumption on your part! Thanks for coming out! :thumbsup:

LOL. I totally misread what you wrote. Wow. Like I said. I assume Albert must not be selling on ebay. What is wrong with you people.

That just supports what I said. Of course if he doesn't have active listings scalpers can sell for what they ask. Jeesh. That's what I was saying. These listings need to be ACTIVE!

I don't actively sell on eBay right now, but I will put auctions up when someone is listing AtariAge games at ridiculous prices, and/or they are touting them as "ZOMG EXTREMELY RARE GAME!".

..Al

I don't want to question your selling but ebay gives at least 20 free listings a month these days w/out a store. You should just take advantage and list those auctions with a high amounts available. List them for 30 days. It can only benefit you and at least hinder the people reselling your games.

I don't want to question your selling but ebay gives at least 20 free listings a month these days w/out a store. You should just take advantage and list those auctions with a high amounts available. List them for 30 days. It can only benefit you and at least hinder the people reselling your games.

I wasn't aware that eBay gives you 20 free listings without a store, so that's good to know, thanks. It is pretty time consuming for me to sell on eBay, though, and eBay's final value fees, combined with PayPal's fees, is a good chunk of change. But definitely something to consider once I have a bit more time..

..Al

Yeah, eBay has been doing it for at least 18 months. I registered on eBay.com before eBay.co.uk existed, and I don't know if that's why I somehow ended up with 40 free listings, as I can get 20 each from the US and UK sites! But they've been handy in trying to sell some of my videogame collection the last few months.

Hello all --

Wasn't sure the best place to post this so I hope it's OK here.

I have not been an active member here for almost a decade, as I had to sell off the bulk of my collection a few years back to pay some medical bills. Cash flow problems have once again reared their ugly head, which has unfortunately led to my decision to try selling off some of the stuff I held onto, which includes a whole bunch of repros, hacks, and homebrews which were lovingly made for me by members of this very community. I'm pretty confident that I could get some pretty hefty prices just by listing these on eBay, but I really valued my time here and the last thing I want to do is upset the current community or especially those who spent the time making some of these for me in the first place. So my question is, what is the general feeling about reselling these? Is it poor form to just let the marketplace on eBay decide on a price or would the proper thing to do be to just post them here? Is it more proper to list them here for set prices or ask for offers? How do those of you who make repros or homebrews/hacks feel about people reselling your work? I have a whole slew of CPUWiz-crafted carts, for example. Is it disrespectful to resell them on eBay for a profit? Or is the general feeling that I paid for them way back when and now they are mine to do with as I please? I am sincere in wanting to do right by the wonderful folks who have put so much of their time and dedication into this hobby, which is why I wanted to get a sense of how the majority of the community feels on the topic before I started the process of selling these. Any and all responses are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

I think the rule of thumb here is as your honest in the action you can auction it in any manner you see fit.

I hate the ones that post "Proto", "Original", etc. where it is not. Or have very misleading auction titles and descriptions that confuse some, intentionally giving the impression what they are selling something it is not.

As for items personally created for you, that is your decision. Will it offend them, etc. Contact them. :)

People profit all the time, nothing wrong with it. The demand could have changed, etc.

I've also seen it go the other way, i.e. the last 2+ years, in which values have plummeted.

As for buying to resell, nothing wrong with that. A deal is a deal. I pick up duplicates all the time to use as trades, etc.

:)

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that eBay gives you 20 free listings without a store, so that's good to know, thanks. It is pretty time consuming for me to sell on eBay, though, and eBay's final value fees, combined with PayPal's fees, is a good chunk of change. But definitely something to consider once I have a bit more time..

..Al

If time is the major factor, one thing that you could always consider is to sell some of your stock at a wholesale price to a trusted eBay seller. That seller could then be labeled an official Authorized Reseller for AtariAge. If you find someone with an eBay store, they have (at least) 150 free listings a month and that only counts for unique listings (listing Halo 2600 with 20 items available is still only one listing).

Then, you make money on volume, the reseller can make a profit and a reasonably priced copy of your games can be constantly available on eBay. It would obviously have to be priced a bit higher due to eBay/Paypal fees, etc, but wouldn't be the outrageous prices that we sometimes see.

• Like 1

..Al

The problem with this is the constant post office trips for just one game/etc..

The problem with this is the constant post office trips for just one game/etc..

Why? I rarely go to the Post office. It's is cheaper to print labels through pp anyhow and you can print through ebay as well and the mailman picks package up from your house.

Edited by icemanxp300

I just wanted to add another thing Albert can toss in a business card to Atari Age whenever someone buys his item. I have people do that quite frequently on stuff I buy. He could put on it shop and save at atariage or something.

Since ebay has 20 free listings. I would definitely use like 15 of them for the most desired games and save a few for when someone offers something RARE, he can add a listing for that game if he doesn't have one.

As far as fees ebay charges a flat rate of 10% now for video game final value fees. If Albert does not accept pp, PP is $.30 plus 2.9% fees for US and 3.9% for international payments.

I generally expect to lose 13% for fees from US customers or 14% from international customers.

I just wanted to add another thing Albert can toss in a business card to Atari Age whenever someone buys his item. I have people do that quite frequently on stuff I buy. He could put on it shop and save at atariage or something.

I've had people here do that.

I'll second selling through eBay, and in fact, I would charge a bit more for them than AtariAge. The fees are off-loaded onto the consumer because eBay offers additional protection than just Paypal, which is what you'd get from AtariAge. That justifies the price difference. Maybe one day they'll find AtariAge (or perhaps there's a link to the store?) and then they'll pay the normal price and join in the discussion here.