IGNORED

Model 1 vs Model 2?

Steel76

I just bought an composite modded model 1 on Ebay, but sadly, the seller noticed that the controllers was failing, when he did the final test before putting it in the box. So he canceled the order and gave me an refund. He is offering to sell me another console of choice at a reduced price, and I noticed that he also had a modified model 2 in stock. Sadly he don't have any more of the original model.

This was supposed to be my first Intellivision console. Haven't played on the real hardware in about 30 years.

But I really wanted to own the original model, since it's more iconic and nostalgic too me. I also like the design better.

Though, I could always start my Intellivision collection using an model 2 for now.

The original model are pretty easy to find over here in Sweden, but I really want an NTSC console, to be able to play the games in 60hz, and the seller has them for a great price as well. Especially since he is the only one selling a modded unit. The other one is in Turkey and is insanely expensive.

I really need an modded unit, as the RF is not compatible with the RF connectors on an European TV.

So my question is:

I know that the model 2 isn't compatible with the IntelliVoice and the Coleco games, but is there any other flaws that I should know about?

Does the homebrews work properly on it?

Is the controller better, worse or basically of the same quality? I read something about some games having problems with the sound on model 2, any truth in that?

The model 2 IS compatible with intellivoice and the computer module and also the system changer (Atari 2600). There are updated ROMs to play the coleco games on the model 2, but you will need a multicart. LTO is on the horizon.

The model 1 is NOT compatible with the system changer (Atari 2600) without modification, but is compatible with the intellivoice and computer module.

The controllers on the model 2 are not as good as model 1, III or some Super Pros (some of these came with something like model 2 controllers)

Edited by SoulBuster
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info :)

Glad it IS compatible with the Intellivoice. Must have misread that info, or if it was one of the Intellivoice games that had problems on the later model?

Too bad the controllers aren't of the same quality.

Are the model 2:s more reliable than the original ones? Or is it just that it's more easy to fix, since it has an external power supply and controllers that can be swapped?

Many questions, but I'm quite a rookie when it comes to the Intellivision ;)

with the model 2, if you can get an Intellivision flashback unit and the controller adapters from nurmix, you can use the controllers from the flashback unit. Now thse controllers are better than any other controllers, IMO. In addition, on the mode2, they just plug in. On the model one you would have to open it up.

Easier to fix, no. But my fix for any of it is to get another one.

Controller adapters

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237113-intellivision-flashback-controller-adapters-round-2/

Edited by SoulBuster
  • Like 2

You mentioned sound issues. There are a couple of sound effects that have minor problems on the Inty 2. Shark Shark's bubbles are slightly different, and explosions in Space Spartans are slightly different as well. There's an issue on Super Pro Football where the QB won't appear until the ball is hiked.

I use an Inty 2 as my main system. I like the ability to simply use the flashback controllers (via adapters) and the fact that it is small on the entertainment center shelf.

• Like 1

There is an almost mint model 1 (PAL), complete in box, that I found locally.

I might go for that one instead, and do my own composite mod.

I haven't seen how the Intellivision performs with RF.

My old Atari 2600 has an terrible RF signal, filled with noise and artifacts, something that was mediocre even back in 1982, when I got the machine.

If the Intellivision delivers a cleaner signal, maybe I will even stick with that, especially since I'm going to use it on a small 21 inch Sony CRT.

There is an almost mint model 1 (PAL), complete in box, that I found locally.

I might go for that one instead, and do my own composite mod.

I haven't seen how the Intellivision performs with RF.

My old Atari 2600 has an terrible RF signal, filled with noise and artifacts, something that was mediocre even back in 1982, when I got the machine.

If the Intellivision delivers a cleaner signal, maybe I will even stick with that, especially since I'm going to use it on a small 21 inch Sony CRT.

the rf on most intellivision is really really good. (Ntsc anyway) to make it better buying a good thick coaxial cable and buying correct adapters to convert it to correct connections to tv and intellivision will give you a phenominal picture for rf.
  • Like 1

The French Intellivision (non SCART models) have an excellent RF output as well. From the stickers on the back, Mattel gave them to the French company CGV (Compagnie Général de Vidéotechnique) for a proper video output. And it shows.

IMG_9993.jpg

(picture from http://www.nightfallcrew.com, not mine)

For the cable, European TV use a FM connector.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

I know that the model 2 isn't compatible with the IntelliVoice and the Coleco games, but is there any other flaws that I should know about?

Is the controller better, worse or basically of the same quality? I read something about some games having problems with the sound on model 2, any truth in that?

Not every Coleco game is incompatible with the Intellivision II. In fact, only half of them are: Donkey Kong, Mouse Trap, Venture, and Carnival. And except for Venture, those games are garbage anyway. Zaxxon, Turbo, Donkey Kong Jr., and Lady Bug WILL run on an Intellivision II. And as mentioned, the Intellivision II is fully compatible with the Intellivoice and all other Intellivision peripherals. I don't know where people are reading that it isn't.

I like the Intellivision II controller, but it's kind of a mixed bag. You will find that most people hate it. One thing to note is that the fire buttons aren't really buttons; they're like little pressure-sensitive nubs in the plastic. But they're very responsive and you don't need to press them very hard, so don't cramp your hand trying to do so. Others cite the flat keypad as a problem since you can't play by feel, but let's be real: anyone who says they can play a game like MLB Baseball or Space Battle or Utopia without looking at the keypad/overlay is a liar. In other words, it's a moot point.

• Like 1

Venture is one of the Coleco games that I really want for the system, so I'm glad that I got the model 1.

But I might add model 2 to the collection later on :)

Venture is a great title for Intellivision. I first got my copy a few years ago and was surprised by how good it was (how could the same company make this AND Donkey Kong? :P). It's the only thing I feel I'm missing out on when I have out my Intellivision II. On the other hand, I can use my System Changer and 500+ Atari 2600-compatible cartridges. :-D So I suppose in that context, the loss of Venture is a small price to pay. (Of course, I have 2600 systems and several flavors of Intellivision I consoles, so it really doesn't matter either way for me...but I prefer the Intellivision II.)

I would also add that Intellivision II consoles seem to be more reliable and are more likely to be functional. I wouldn't say you *need* an Intellivision II if you've already got a working Intellivision, since the only thing you really get from it that you can't get with the Intellivision I is System Changer compatibility (although it does look sweet with the matching ECS). Unless you're focusing on collecting Intellivision stuff, it's cheaper and easier to just get a 2600jr. or something. You CAN swap out the controllers and power supply if one goes bad on you, though, but they don't turn up individually very often, and Intellivision I controllers can be repaired more easily (Intellivision II controllers are a Pain. In. The. Ass. to fix). There are tradeoffs with each console.

My 3 cents (inflation): the power button on the model 2 is godawful. One of, if not THE worst ever implemented on a console.

The controllers are terrible but you can use the Flashback controllers very easily which makes the model 2 better in that regard.

you can modify the power button with a resistor. Works like a charm.

What's "69"??????

for me it is the yin and the yang. How i came about my name was this. I was heading to work and it was when star wars episode 1 came out. I asked my roommate to make the aol instant messanger screen name darthpimp69. The dumbass screwed up an made it pimpmaul69. So that name has stuck with me since then.
  • Like 1