IGNORED

IntyBASIC Programming Contest Rules

My 2 cents:

1. I must be blind. I checked the forums last night for the first time in a while and had no clue any of this was going on. I actually found out about this from the AA front page (on a non-bookmarked computer at the moment). We need a thread in the programming forum in case anyone else is as stupid as me. :P

2. Oscar, is there a planned IntyBASIC release coming soon? Just a suggestion, but if so - now's the time to do it. And then stop adding stuff for a while, so that developers have a stable platform to target. I know - people can just stick with one version but I can tell you from experience that it's always oh so tempting to try to incorporate the "new stuff" halfway through the development lifecycle. Which is often less "help" than one might think ;) I suspect others may vigorously disagree with me on this one.

2a. On that note, did you manage to fix the "multiply by zero" bug yet? Or any other outstanding major bugs, if there are any? A lot of entrants probably aren't going to be reading all of the 5000 IntyBASIC posts from the past year or more, so they may not be aware of these things. It would be nice to start everyone off with a very clean version of the compiler, if at all possible. If not, perhaps we should publish a comprehensive list of all known bugs/odd behaviours.

I would expect Oscar to stabilize IntyBASIC throughout the competition and work mostly on necessary bug fixes, if any are encountered. I believe a new version is coming very soon with some fixes, useful constants, and the installer package Groovy mentioned. I also think Oscar is working on implementing some additional helper functions to help newcomers deal with graphics and sprites easily.

There are six months to the end of the competition and plenty of time for people to get acquainted with the tools. Upgrading is always optional, and should not have any breaking changes. :)

-dZ.

P.S. You did start working on your entry, right? ;)

• Like 1

:lol: You can't get any more prominent than the front page of AA. There is also a thread in AA's homebrew section too.

We are working on an IntyBASIC installer package to make contestants lives easier. That should be available this week, if all goes to plan.

Actually, a lot of people enter AA through the main Intv forum. Never go to front page or venture into programming section. That includes me!

• Like 2

Actually, a lot of people enter AA through the main Intv forum. Never go to front page or venture into programming section. That includes me!

I just leave 2 tabs open - the main INTV forum, and the programming forum. I never even noticed the new sub-forum under the programming form. I just check for any new threads or posts.

I dunno, given that INTV and Aquarius are jammed together in the same programming forum, and we don't even have an IntyBASIC sub-forum, I guess I didn't expect an IntyBASIC programming contest to warrant its own forum. This is why I don't organize websites. :P

• Like 2

P.S. You did start working on your entry, right? ;)

We'll see ;) Real life has rather gotten in the way of tinkering lately.

The rules don't prohibit previous projects unless commercially released, so worst case I may just submit one of my older games with some spit and polish. That being said, I'm not exactly what you'd call a competitive person.

And I wish "originality" was closer to 50% of the score, but I don't make the rules. :P

• Like 1

I dunno, given that INTV and Aquarius are jammed together in the same programming forum, and we don't even have an IntyBASIC sub-forum, I guess I didn't expect an IntyBASIC programming contest to warrant its own forum. This is why I don't organize websites. :P

If the programming contest creates more IntyBASIC traffic then there will be a good reason to have one dedicated to it.

My 2 cents:

2. Oscar, is there a planned IntyBASIC release coming soon? Just a suggestion, but if so - now's the time to do it. And then stop adding stuff for a while, so that developers have a stable platform to target. I know - people can just stick with one version but I can tell you from experience that it's always oh so tempting to try to incorporate the "new stuff" halfway through the development lifecycle. Which is often less "help" than one might think ;) I suspect others may vigorously disagree with me on this one.

2a. On that note, did you manage to fix the "multiply by zero" bug yet? Or any other outstanding major bugs, if there are any? A lot of entrants probably aren't going to be reading all of the 5000 IntyBASIC posts from the past year or more, so they may not be aware of these things. It would be nice to start everyone off with a very clean version of the compiler, if at all possible. If not, perhaps we should publish a comprehensive list of all known bugs/odd behaviours.

The next version of IntyBASIC mostly is related to optimization, the speed saving will make you able to do more complex games while being smooth.

And yes, it solves the multiply by zero bug and even improves multiplication speed ;)

• Like 1

I just regularly click on View New Content to see what's new everywhere as I am not an just an Intellivision fan:-)

I start on the forum overview and actually check out subforums for Systems I do not even own. Like the 7800 or... Intellivision! :D

Hell, I am even feeling motivated to try my Hand in IntyBASIC, thanks to GroovyBee's encouraging words. I really hope something playable will come out of my effort.^^

• Like 3

I start on the forum overview and actually check out subforums for Systems I do not even own. Like the 7800 or... Intellivision! :D

Hell, I am even feeling motivated to try my Hand in IntyBASIC, thanks to GroovyBee's encouraging words. I really hope something playable will come out of my effort.^^

Playable would be ideal, but the point is to have fun and get familiar with the platform. Nanochess and a few others are working on improvements to IntyBASIC and in making programming even more accessible. Expect a (somewhat) complete IntyBASIC SDK package soon.

As more people start using it, we'll continue to polish and refine it to be even more useful. :)

Stick around: this is The Age Of IntyBASIC!

-dZ.

• Like 3

Playable would be ideal, but the point is to have fun and get familiar with the platform.

The Moment something becomes somewhat playable is when the fun Begins for me. :P Basic as it might be, so I absolutely aim for something playable, even if it is crappy. :D

I so hope someone does a Lynx BASIC someday. If not, maybe the IntyBASIC gives me the confidence to try to get something running on Lynx without BASIC. Entry Level stuff is great, and I always preferred consoles, so BASIC on consoles is very attractive to me.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 2

Thanks for organizing Groovybee and others. Just the thing to motivate me to do some Inty programming :)

:cool: If you need help getting started or get stuck, just ask. We want everybody who enters the contest to have fun. After all, thats what the hobby is all about.

So, JasonlikesToProgramINTV, are you up to it? ;)

-dZ.

Dammit, Jim! I'm a chemist not a programmer!

It sounds fun, though. If I had more time and thought I could actually do this completely starting from scratch I'd love to make a game. Unfortunately the closest I ever came to programming was a getting a C++ GPA ;-)

• Like 2

It sounds fun, though. If I had more time and thought I could actually do this completely starting from scratch I'd love to make a game. Unfortunately the closest I ever came to programming was a getting a C++ GPA ;-)

The tutorial series will start soon. If you join in with that, you'll get up and running and have something playable in no time. Then you can add your own ideas and go your own way with it. As long as you ask for help when you get stuck you'll be fine.

• Like 2

We've announced the new IntyBASIC Software Development Kit (SDK) that is specifically designed to make programming games for the Intellivision even easier than ever!

What's more, any game programmed using the SDK qualifies for this contest, since the kit supports standard built-in features of IntyBASIC. (Of course, the program needs to adhere to the rest of the rules.)

We encourage everyone to use the SDK, newbies and experts alike, and we just know it's going to make your programming life easier. So go get a copy now!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

btw shame Nanochess is a part of the Judges, else maybe we could have the Nanochess (GAME) as an entry ? :)

That's an idea. Oscar, is there a way to make a "simple" version of your Nanochess program in IntyBASIC? I guess it won't be so small, but it could show technique and add to the growing IntyBASIC games library. :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'd like to thank cmart604 for kindly offering the following prizes:

1st place:

• Prize winner gets to chose one console from the choice of Intellivision I, II or Sears (all CIB).
  • 30 pack of CIB common games.
  • Choice of D1K or D2K.
2nd place:
  • Prize winner gets to choose one console from the remaining choice of Intellivision I, II or Sears (all CIB) after the 1st prize winner has picked theirs.
  • 20 pack of CIB common games.
3rd place:
  • The remaining CIB console after 1st and 2nd prize winners have picked theirs.
  • 10 pack of CIB common games.
  • Like 5