IGNORED

What joystick/control pad do you use for your 2600?

The Mr. Video

I'm a firm believer that having the right controller for the game you're playing is one of the most important factors in getting the most out of the game; whether that be enjoying an authentic feeling arcade experience at home or just achieving the highest score you can. That said, I've got a good dozen or so controllers for the Atari 2600 but there are only 6 I keep in regular rotation. They are, ordered from most to least frequently used (left to right, top then bottom):

aBtKzc3.jpg

Wico Command Control Joystick (Bat Style)
My favorite joystick that I play most 2600 games with. It's built like a tank and feels like it was straight out of an arcade cabinet. It's a great general purpose leaf spring joystick, and the only complaint I can really make about it is that it can be a bit stiff on the diagonals. I think it's perfect for games that primarily use 4-way movement (up, down, left, & right only), but for those few games that use 8-way movement heavily I do keep another joystick around that is a bit more responsive.

Competition Pro 5000 Joystick
While lighter in weight and not as ruggedly built as the Wico Command Control joystick, this microswitch joystick is about as fast and responsive and as they come for games like Berzerk and Venture that require lots of diagonal movement. The amount of pressure required to activate the leaf spring contacts under the buttons is next to nothing, to the point that I do find myself wishing the buttons were a bit springier, but the four hyper-sensitive Cherry brand microswitches used on the joystick more than make up for it. It's great for lefties like my wife and I's room mate too! This is my default joystick for any game that requires a lot of 8-way movement.

Atari CX30 Paddle Controllers
Not much to say about these other than that everyone who enjoys playing games that require paddle controllers needs a set of CX30s. Just the thing for Super Breakout, Warlords, Astroblast, and all those other great paddle controller games.

Wico Command Control Trackball
Now we're getting into the more niche controllers. While most games play just fine with a joystick or paddle controller, when it comes to Missile Command and Crystal Castles there's just no substitute for a good trackball controller; and this is (IMHO) as good as they get when it comes to trackballs for the Atari 2600. Just like the Wico Command Control Joystick, this thing is built like a tank and it weighs a metric ton. Fortunately it also controls just as good as it looks when used with most games who's arcade versions were made to be used with a trackball. It's absolutely godly for Missile Command and Crystal Castles, and works very well with Reactor and Millipede as well. It also makes for a fun change of pace when used with Miniature Golf and Bowling. The only complaint I can really make about it is that it doesn't work too well with Atari 2600 version of Centipede (the movement is jerky and sluggish), though I've heard it works beautifully with the 7800 version.

Best Electronics Atari Light Gun
There may only be two Atari 2600 games that support this controller, but they're both great fun and get played regularly around here. If you're looking for a good light gun to play Sentinel and Shooting Arcade with then I couldn't recommend a better light gun than the Best Electronics Atari Light Gun. It feels solidly built and is vastly more accurate than any other light gun I've seen for the 2600. At 3 feet you could hammer a nail with the shots from this thing; drilling one shot on top of the other for as long as the game lasts. It also has a very comfortable microswitch trigger, with the lightest and most responsive trigger pull I've ever felt on any light gun (which is saying a lot, considering that I am a huge light gun game fan and have owned almost every high quality light gun released for home consoles over the years). I sincerely hope homebrew developers make some more light gun games to support this wonderful peripheral at some point.

Atari CX21 Video Touch Pad
It's a one trick pony, but it does that one trick pretty darn well. You just can't play Star Raiders without it! :lol:

• Like 3

Wico Command Control (Bat) for joystick games. I've been using it for about 30 years now, and it's still going strong! I do have a backup or two just in case, but I've never needed them. :)

Otherwise, I use the stock paddles, keyboard controllers, etc. when called for.

• Like 2

Atari Flashback controllers used for models 2-5 (CX-40 replicas). They are awesomely smooth and high quality and work with real hardware. They also have a nice embossed Atari Logo on the corner. Retains the feel and nostalgia of the originals. I stocked up when they went on sale on the AtGames site and bough 6 of them. 2 for each Atari model I own. I highly recommend them.

1351150653122-2114574792.jpeg

Edited by sloth-machine
  • Like 1

Atari Flashback controllers used for models 2-5 (CX-40 replicas). They are awesomely smooth and high quality and work with real hardware. They also have a nice embossed Atari Logo on the corner. Retains the feel and nostalgia of the originals. I stocked up when they went on sale on the AtGames site and bough 6 of them. 2 for each Atari model I own. I highly recommend them.

1351150653122-2114574792.jpeg

I have to agree with you there! As much as I love my Wico Command Control and Competition Pro 5000 joysticks, if I had to recommend one all purpose joystick for any game that uses a joystick it would be the Flashback 2 CX-40 replicas. They're way smoother and more responsive than the original CX-40s, while still retaining that classic VCS styling. As long as you take the time to put some thread locker on the stick threads to keep it from coming unscrewed during gameplay it might be the best all around joystick I've used. :)

The one and only, the original atari joystick, and the paddles (or specific controllers) when they are required !

I use it on my C64, Atari XL and Amiga as well ;-)

Same here. Have tried dozens of controllers over the years and my all time favorite is still the CX-40. 'Cept for the Starplex controller for games like Space Rocks, Space Invaders, etc. :love:

BTW: why isn't the standard Atari 2600 controller called the CX-26? They got it right with the CX-52 (5200) and the CX-78 (7800), but missed again with the CX-24 for the PainLine 7800 controller. :lol:

BTW: why isn't the standard Atari 2600 controller called the CX-26? They got it right with the CX-52 (5200) and the CX-78 (7800), but missed again with the CX-24 for the PainLine 7800 controller. :lol:

Probably just given the next part number in line, which was when the 2600 was just a Video Computer System before the console model numbers.

• Like 1

Most time i use my "Competition Pro Star" on the Atari VCS-2600. This stick has very exact steering and is solidly built. Games like "Space Rocks", which have a 2-Button-Mode, i can also play very good with the SuperNES standard-gamepad, using a SNES-to-9Pin Adapter. So, one of these two controllers i use on my Atari.

The words "control pad" and "2600" do not belong in the same sentence. Except maybe that one, and except if it's a CX78.

I'm kind of a weird obsessive purist, so I believe in using original controllers with systems, for better or for worse:

Woodgrain systems - CX40, CX10

Vader, Jr. - CX40 (all black)

Video Arcade II - Video Arcade II controller (okay joystick, great paddle, terrible fire buttons)

Gemini - Gemini Dual Command

However, I'm not averse to breaking out my Slik Stik, TAC-2, or Archer/Spectravideo joystick now and then. I recently got a Starplex, which I'm really liking as well. I've got three or four dozen different joysticks, but those (and the CX10/40) are my favorites.

This is a great idea! And much better than my single paddle where I cut off the other controller at the plug!

Thank you! A few games assign paddles to the players in reverse order so they can't be played with a single paddle without the switch. Moreover in this way you can play turn based two player games.