IGNORED

Got my CoCo2, now where to source a extended basic chip?

Iwantgames:)

Got my CoCo 2 today :) Mega Bug is alot of fun haven't tried my other games yet.

Looked up my model number online and figured out how to upgrade it to 64k and found a source for the chips but where would I find the extended basic chip?

A lot of CoCo related Upgrades are sold at Cloud 9 Tech.

You might try contacting them to see where the ROM can be located..

I have a CoCo 3 128K and a CoCo 2, 64K Extended BASIC. And I a fairly new to CoCo's. ( I have been a Long Time Apple ][ User )

MarkO

I found the Extended Basic 1.1 rom file just can't program chips :/

I will need to see what EPROM is needed, but I have access to EPROM burners, as well as others here..

MarkO

I was not aware that any Coco 2s shiped without Extended BASIC. Does it have BASIC v. 1.1 or v. 1.2?

This box would indicate otherwise.

I would guess that if they came with 64K, they were Extended too....

This page is quite handy too:

Welcome to Techno's CoCo 2 Model Summary!.

It appears that non-Extended BASIC CoCo 2's are models,

26-3026, 26-3134, 26-3134A, & 26-3134B.

and there was a corresponding 16K RAM version with the Extended BASIC

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

Oh lol, I know zip about eproms so not much help :(

I don't know a lot either, but I know enough that if they have the same number of Pins, they are not necessarily compatible...

The Apple ][gs, ROM 00 and ROM01, you can buy a standard EPROM to replace the ROM, but the Pins are in a different Order, so an Adapter Board must be made..

MarkO

Once you've upgraded to 64k it is possible to switch the machine to all RAM mode; there's an exec command that mirrors the ROM map into RAM (the CoCo only lets you access 32k anyway). Then you can just load BASIC from tape :)

The Dragon 64 and Tano Dragon would copy ROM to RAM and give you more memory for programs if you typed EXEC when you first start it up but the CoCo does have that build into the ROM.

Hmm wonder how hard it is to find a extended basic tape, of course then I'd have to wait to load it everytime before I could do anything but it's a option

The ROM's are here, and probably a few other places.. With an EPROM Burner and the right EPROM, your as good as Extended from the beginning.

MarkO

You would think they could get a Picture that was in Focus.....

Would this one work? I found the part number looking on here :

http://www.coco3.com/community/1994/03/24-pin-eproms/

That seems like it could be Correct... The 68766 can replace the ROM in the Disk Drive Interface, it seem reasonable it might be the same in the Computer itself.

I have some of those: 10PC MCM68766C35 MOTOROLA 8K x 8 350NS NMOS EPROM

I got them a year ago, ( 11-JUL-2014 actually ), but my EPROM Burner doesn't program them, I have been told I need a bigger Power Supply..

Let me see if I can locate a 15-24 VAC Power Supply... Then I can test Burning the MCM68766 again.

MarkO

Edited by MarkO
  • Like 1

The Dragon 64 and Tano Dragon would copy ROM to RAM and give you more memory for programs if you typed EXEC when you first start it up but the CoCo does have that build into the ROM.

hmmmm... try exec &hff010 on a 64k coco2. You should get the BASIC prompt in all RAM mode, and POKE 65495,0 will no longer cause a speed increase since it only increases ROM access speed.

It appears that non-Extended BASIC CoCo 2's are models,

26-3026, 26-3134, 26-3134A, & 26-3134B.

and there was a corresponding 16K RAM version with the Extended BASIC

I learn something new everyday :-)