IGNORED

How low is your Model 1 Genesis' serial number?

Zap!

I recently started reading on some other forums about low Sega Genesis serial numbers. I have had my Genesis since August, 1989, so I knew it would be very low. My number is 39S13220.

Now, the first number the factory it was made in (in my case, Taiwan). The second letter is the last digit of the year it was made in, so 1989. The next letter (S) is the production run. Finally, after that is the number. So mine is number 13,220 to come out of that factory's production.

Anyway, here's a pic underneath my Genesis. So what do you think? Is mine considered extremely low? What is yours?

post-12488-0-84846000-1435965020_thumb.jpg

Hm, mine is 059056463, but I just got this particular one this year (upgraded to a component modded one). Wish I had my old one, I think I got that in 1990, too, though, but that was stolen in 1992 or so.

So you have a model 2? Your second number (5) means it was produced in 1995.

I recently started reading on some other forums about low Sega Genesis serial numbers. I have had my Genesis since August, 1989, so I knew it would be very low. My number is 39S13220.

Pretty cool you were able to snag one that early. If you dont mind me asking... where did you purchase your Genesis at in August?

I had a doozy of a time trying to find one when it was first launched - I reside in the Chicagoland area!

Pretty cool you were able to snag one that early. If you dont mind me asking... where did you purchase your Genesis at in August?

I had a doozy of a time trying to find one when it was first launched - I reside in the Chicagoland area!

Toys R' Us in Staten Island, NY. I have the exact date written down somewhere. I believe it's August 19th. It wasn't the first day I saw it either. I went in there the night before with my mom, who was taking me to get a game, and saw it. I was a bit surprised. EGM and the other mags said the release date was another two weeks or so.

Well, I knew she wouldn't spend that much ($189). So I told her we'll take back the XEGS that I had gotten a month or so earlier. So the next day we returned the XEGS, and I got my Genesis. Ahh, one of the pluses of living in NYC. The NES was on full display here too back in 1985. Everywhere else (except maybe LA) had to wait until 1986. :P

• Like 1

Toys R' Us in Staten Island, NY. I have the exact date written down somewhere. I believe it's August 19th. It wasn't the first day I saw it either. I went in there the night before with my mom, who was taking me to get a game, and saw it. I was a bit surprised. EGM and the other mags said the release date was another two weeks or so.

Well, I knew she wouldn't spend that much ($189). So I told her we'll take back the XEGS that I had gotten a month or so earlier. So the next day we returned the XEGS, and I got my Genesis. Ahh, one of the pluses of living in NYC. The NES was on full display here too back in 1985. Everywhere else (except maybe LA) had to wait until 1986. :P

Yeah, it has its perks! ;)

And I think you made the smart choice switching out the XEGS for a Genny.

Yeah, it has its perks! ;)

And I think you made the smart choice switching out the XEGS for a Genny.

I just had to have that Genesis ASAP. Funny thing is, my next system came in October - the Turbo Grafx 16. Within the next year though, I got that XEGS back once more. I was a classic gamer even in 1990 at 17. :)

Here's mine. Looks like it was produced in the same place as yours, Zap. I think I bought mine sometime in late '89. It was on clearance at the Air Force BX for $100. Not sure why it was on clearance but I had to have it. Was looking forward to some Altered Beast and Golden Axe at the time!

post-3314-0-51503200-1436041315_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I've got two Genesis systems, 1 Japanese MD and 3 PAL MD's.

This is the serial number of the one I have hooked up though (a Genesis)...

No idea what to make of it though.

Edit:

Other Genesis: 020329481

Japanese MD: G10001733

PAL MD (Model 1, all my others are Model 2's): 40f15039

No idea which one is the oldest console.

Edited by R.Bear

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I could have sworn I posted in this thread before, but apparently not. My Model 1 is not the one I owned BITD. That one I got as a birthsT present from my (now ex-) wife in July 1990, complete with ALTERED BEAST as the pack-in. I had it from then until I sold it in 1995 to help fund my Sony PlayStation purchase. I still have that PlayStation, though I haven't tested it in years to see if it's still alive nor what kind of repairs it might need. Good idea for a summer project, actually, but I digress.

Anyway, a friend of mine who travels about 200 days a year for work always manages to start his trip a day early or end it a day late in order to hit local area game stores and especially yard and estate sales. He knew I was looking for a replacement for my Genny and picked this up somewhere on a trip. Other than a little damage to the painted graphic logo on top, it's just about cosmetically perfect. He sold me the console, two original 3-button controllers that looked brand new, and an original PSU wall-wart for $25 about two years ago. Add in a Mega Everdrive and I'm in early 90's hog heaven. :) 

EDIT: the date-code on the back of the PSU is 1089. 

IMG_6717.thumb.JPG.17aa0c81e6c50a5551a8f674ab7585de.JPG

IMG_6714.thumb.JPG.16343fb268b5365085c3ba2d943d6be6.JPG

IMG_6715.thumb.JPG.06a5b04d2dbd5969e041565c37905666.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply but actually it was originally my mom's sega genesis awhile  back I got my mom one of those hd genesis systems for Christmas she liked it enough that she just gave me her old system I also have the original box too  guess it's in ok condition unfortunately I have no manuals I might post a pick of it if I remember