IGNORED

Atari Flashback 6

I've bought most of them (Even the Flashback 2+), just missing the original Flashback and the Flashback 64.

It's a fun way to spend a few hours each year checking out the latest model, although I'm close to calling it quits barring some significant changes. They're too static these days and if I hadn't gotten the Sam's Club edition with the paddles, I'd of just passed on the Flashback 5 last year.

I want emulation improvements, quality game additions, and hopefully HDMI output one of these days. They're going to have to offer something attractive this year if I'm going to bother again.

Any word on followups to the Colecovision and Intellivision Flashbacks?

• Like 1

I've bought most of them (Even the Flashback 2+), just missing the original Flashback and the Flashback 64.

It's a fun way to spend a few hours each year checking out the latest model, although I'm close to calling it quits barring some significant changes. They're too static these days and if I hadn't gotten the Sam's Club edition with the paddles, I'd of just passed on the Flashback 5 last year.

I want emulation improvements, quality game additions, and hopefully HDMI output one of these days. They're going to have to offer something attractive this year if I'm going to bother again.

Any word on followups to the Colecovision and Intellivision Flashbacks?

I believe this year they'll only ship Atari and Sega revisions. Maybe the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks will return 2016. I don't know, though.

As for HDMI output, the previous issue was keeping the price point they needed to hit. I do think that would be a key addition, though, and maybe the economics will work out in 2016.

• Like 1

I started getting back to Atari gaming via the Flashback consoles. Then I realized the ultimate flashback is a 6 switch woody with a Harmony cartridge.

I'm playing games that will NEVER make it on any Flashback (Like Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, Starmaster, and Superman).

The Flashback still has it's place. It's sitting upstairs in my bedroom when I want a quick game of missile command before I go to bed and I have already put away the sixer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Huh? Can you elaborate on the active part? I see nothing in the IOS or the Play stores. I haven't checked Steam yet...

For now, it's this: https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/pc

This is the Flashback stuff on there so far: https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/search?q=flashback&pf=PC

I don't know the status of the mobile apps. They were close last time I tested them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be released anytime soon.

• Like 1

For now, it's this: https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/pc

This is the Flashback stuff on there so far: https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/search?q=flashback&pf=PC

I don't know the status of the mobile apps. They were close last time I tested them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be released anytime soon.

Any chance of some of this stuff eventually heading to consoles and/or dedicated gaming handhelds?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

FB_IMG_1441900931277_zps9hex7kzw.jpg

A friend got one at TRU (before the release date). New games are Atari Climber, Indy 500 (with a joystick?), MotoRodeo, Radar Lock, Secret Quest, Solaris (yay!), Swordquest: Waterworld, and Yars' Return. Battlezone is there, but not considered "new." That's only 87 games pictured, so what the other 13 are I don't know.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 4

AtGames' own page for the FB6 shows the full game list, or at least a full game list. I didn't post about it earlier because of the possibility that it wasn't final. In fact, I kind of hoped it weren't final, because I think the inclusion of Indy 500 opens them up to litigation, or at least a forced recall.

Anyway, the 8 games listed by Greg2600 are the only differences between the FB5 and the FB6, according to that AtGames FB6 page (and comparing it to the FB5's list at my Retro Plug-n-Play Contents page). Battlezone may be shown on the box, but it is not in the list. So . . . something published by AtGames is incorrect, either their website or the product box. Wouldn't you know it, that doesn't surprise me. :/ I guess we'll have to see the actual system's menu to know for sure what's in it.

onmode-ky

Edit: I forgot to mention that Secret Quest was previously on AtGames' Atari FB3, but it was removed from the selection in the 2012-2014 FB releases because it needs a B&W/Color switch. That FB6 page at the AtGames website has a PDF of the user manual, which does not indicate that the FB6 has added a B&W/Color switch, via neither hardware nor software. So, it seems that AtGames went and re-added Secret Quest having forgotten why they took it out before. :/ Also of note in that user manual, "Indy 500" has a superscript on it. Not sure if that means they actually licensed the use of the name. . . .

Edited by onmode-ky
  • Like 1

I'm really surprised that they wouldn't just go with the generic name that they used for distribution in Sears locations.

c_Sears_Race_Picture_front.jpg

As for Battlezone, while I feel like it's a logical deduction to make that it's not going to be here, it's such a great port that I think AtGames would be wise to license it from Rebellion Interactive. I don't Rebellion would be against letting the fondly remembered 2600 port be released again, although the price they'd want might be more than would be justifiable.

Just too bad that their emulator doesn't run it perfectly. It has been a while, but when two tanks are present, one regularly wouldn't be shown on the FB3 and FB4. And that was far from the only issue, although the others like the game crashing from time to time were more of a random occurrence.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

AtGames' own page for the FB6 shows the full game list, or at least a full game list. I didn't post about it earlier because of the possibility that it wasn't final. In fact, I kind of hoped it weren't final, because I think the inclusion of Indy 500 opens them up to litigation, or at least a forced recall.

Also of note in that user manual, "Indy 500" has a superscript on it. Not sure if that means they actually licensed the use of the name. . . .

I wouldn't be at all surprised that AtGames probably did get a license through IMS because the Indianapolis 500's 100th Running is coming up next year on Memorial Day weekend, May 2016! :cool:

So will they make Driving Controllers available to sell separately or in any deluxe edition?

Edited by TrekkiELO

A friend got one at TRU (before the release date). New games are Atari Climber, Indy 500 (with a joystick?), MotoRodeo, Radar Lock, Secret Quest, Solaris (yay!), Swordquest: Waterworld, and Yars' Return. Battlezone is there, but not considered "new." That's only 87 games pictured, so what the other 13 are I don't know.

Any chance your friend can confirm if battlezone is actually on there?

• Like 1

So did this person in Los Angeles, CA, but they got 10 and are taking full advantage of it at $74.99 a pop, only stupid dumbass idiots would buy from these kinds of scalpers!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Flashback-6-Flashback-Classic-Game-Console-100-Built-in-Games-Plug-n-Play-/371436917575?hash=item567b5d9347

Edited by TrekkiELO

I'm really surprised that they wouldn't just go with the generic name that they used for distribution in Sears locations.

c_Sears_Race_Picture_front.jpg

As for Battlezone, while I feel like it's a logical deduction to make that it's not going to be here, it's such a great port that I think AtGames would be wise to license it from Rebellion Interactive. I don't Rebellion would be against letting the fondly remembered 2600 port be released again, although the price they'd want might be more than would be justifiable.

Just too bad that their emulator doesn't run it perfectly. It has been a while, but when two tanks are present, one regularly wouldn't be shown on the FB3 and FB4. And that was far from the only issue, although the others like the game crashing from time to time were more of a random occurrence.

If they could get the arcade version of Battlezone, that would be sick. 2600 Battlezone is good, but nothing beats the original arcade. :)

• Like 1

If they could get the arcade version of Battlezone, that would be sick. 2600 Battlezone is good, but nothing beats the original arcade. :)

An "Atari Flashback - Arcade Edition" would be such a great product! In an ideal world, it would resemble an arcade control panel that included enough buttons for Asteroids, Space Duel, and Gravitar, and a Trak-Ball for Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Quantum, and Tempest. (Yeah, arcade Tempest used a spinner, but a Trak-Ball would make an acceptable substitute.) Adding on two arcade joysticks for Battlezone and Black Widow would be superb, but I'm guessing it would be somewhat cost prohibitive.

An "Atari Flashback - Arcade Edition" would be such a great product! In an ideal world, it would resemble an arcade control panel that included enough buttons for Asteroids, Space Duel, and Gravitar, and a Trak-Ball for Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Quantum, and Tempest. (Yeah, arcade Tempest used a spinner, but a Trak-Ball would make an acceptable substitute.) Adding on two arcade joysticks for Battlezone and Black Widow would be superb, but I'm guessing it would be somewhat cost prohibitive.

It's a basic concept they've considered and something we've discussed quite a bit, but not something they've pursued as of yet. I'm not sure how interested they are in expanding the physical line again at this point considering they've only had real success with the Atari and Sega stuff. I guess we'll know more in early 2016.

• Like 1