IGNORED

Retro VGS

Zonie

They just published 3D renderings of the back panel .... hilarious, 4 different video ports (HDMI, RGB, SVideo and composhit) ..... and support for power for external RF mod ..... it's sinking.

Oh and 2 more USB A ports and 1 USB B .... likely there was no place left for USB3.0 or Firewire. I believe they also missed a phone line jack (in case someone wants to turn the FPGA into a modem for online playing you know).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-16?do=findComment&comment=3289375

Parts of it is how the Jaguar should have been from the beginning... Composite shit or not, it would have been nice to have that built-in day one) and I can only assume the ports are going to be used to possibly develop with?

Parts of it is how the Jaguar should have been from the beginning... Composite shit or not, it would have been nice to have that built-in day one) and I can only assume the ports are going to be used to possibly develop with?

The Jaguar does support composite and SVideo and RGB and stereo L/R just in its own proprietary connector the same as PS1/Saturn/Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/GC/Wii/360/PS3/WiiU/XBone/PS4 so it was ahead of its time ;-) in that regard.

Here is the RGB pinout:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm#jaguar

I bought a Jag SVideo "homemade" cable, which was around 20US$ ... not too cheap but not extremely expensive.

If you mean it should have supported also std connectors I sympathize but so should have the rest of the bunch so ... I'm OK as long as I don't have to mod to get the signals out of the damn thing.

Edited by phoenixdownita

They just published 3D renderings of the back panel .... hilarious, 4 different video ports (HDMI, RGB, SVideo and composhit) ..... and support for power for external RF mod ..... it's sinking.

Oh and 2 more USB A ports and 1 USB B .... likely there was no place left for USB3.0 or Firewire. I believe they also missed a phone line jack (in case someone wants to turn the FPGA into a modem for online playing you know).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-16?do=findComment&comment=3289375

It's rather well balanced, but a bit heavy on the video ports. We don't really need S-Video or RGB. HDMI is the hotcake these days and the foreseeable future. Composite is a nice fallback.

USB 2.0 is a nicely established standard. USB 3.0 is somewhat confusing to the general public. And all other versions of USB are unreliable over the long term when you consider the size and flimsiness of the connector. USB 3.1 is on the horizon, actually it's been approved as a standard but has yet to make its way into any consumer products worth anything. RetroVGS doesn't need 3.0/3.1 SuperSpeeds.

Firewire is old outdated garbage, it was supposed to be some sort of isochronous interface standard that guaranteed x amount of bandwidth regardless of what the host was doing. Ideal for video editing and transferring, in fact that's what Apple used it for in their DotCom era Macs. For a while many of those funky hybrid camcorders used it. Thankfully it's gone the wayside and HDMI has taken over.

Regarding RJ-11 connector. No one is going to be playing Modem Wars or Doom multi-player on one of these consoles. Nor will they be simulating any classic computer BBS'es. Some recent modern upscale homes I've been in don't even support RJ-11 anymore! And a true retrogaming console wouldn't be bothered with having to go online. Online gaming became popular with the advent of the PC.

All the early attempts at putting cartridge systems "online" either never happened or failed big-time. To be fair there were some BBS Doors in the late 70's and beginning 80's for the micros of the day. But they were confined to specialty and pirate BBS'es.

• Like 1

It looks like there is plenty of room to add a second row of ports. They could add a comlynx port.