IGNORED

Exidy Sorcerer

The cassette audio interface was on a daughterboard which I don't have. It ran at either 300 or 1200 baud, through the UART on the main board. That UART can be clocked at up to 480 kHz for up to 30 kbaud, though the cassette driver in the Monitor ROM might not keep up at that rate. I plan to tap one of the video counter bits for the UART clock to get between 6 and 24 kbaud, and program the Arduino to match that rate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a chance to possibly get an Exidy Sorcerer II, but it has an issue. Before I even consider it, I want to know if this is something that is easily fixable. He says that the letters have a 'distortion' to them:

The letters on the screen has a visible black retrace line going through it. Running up the down. I did check the power supply ripple which is the AC noise on the regulated DC voltage outputs and it was ok. So I don't think the power supply capacitors are the issue

Any ideas?

EDIT: He sent me a video. Looks like it could be a loose chip or possibly something with the display circuit.

Exidy.zip

It could very well be the monitor, I've had monitors ripple like that before. Did he try hooking up something different?

Yeah he tried two different monitors and several cables. That was one of my first ideas too. Of course that doesn't mean that it might not like either of his monitors.

Nice find!

The video jitter should be fixable - might be marginal timing somewhere in the display circuit. Full schematics are in the HW Ref on this site:

http://www.trailingedge.com/exidy/

The FFFF top of RAM means that the Monitor detected a RAM failure at address 0000. See the listing on p. 25 of the SW Ref from that site.

So some part of the DRAM has failed but the Monitor is working out of the character SRAM at the top of memory. Maybe you can use this failure to negotiate a lower price.

Edit: On second thought, both these problems could stem from bad +5, +12, or -5 V power. Like you said, maybe a bad cap.

Edited by ClausB

• 1 month later...

Updates:

Tempest and I got his II working. It had a shorted cap on the 12V line.

Also I got my I working. Just had to reseat the chips. I also fixed the horizontal jitter. Surprisingly it was a design flaw in the circuit. The low bit of the horizontal counter was reloaded from the flipflop that blanks the video during screen RAM access. So when the CPU wrote to the screen the HSYNC period would change a little, causing jitter. I rewired the bit to the flipflop's input and it's solid now. The flaw even made it into the II, so we will fix tempest's too.

I got the Arduino tape simulator working too. It even runs at 20833 baud! That's under 30 seconds for a 48K tape image. Yay.

• Like 3

It's a really neat computer, but it's also kind of limited since it didn't last too long. In a way it reminds me of the TRS-80 but with Hi-Res graphics.

If I remember right, that was pretty much the goal of the designer.

He thought the TRS-80 was a good computer but needed higher resolution graphics.

I can't say I disagree.

I just wish it had gotten the support the TRS-80 did. Towards the end of the TRS-80's life there were some amazing looking games being released even with its simple graphics. The Sorcerer got some nice arcade clones, but only a handful. I'd love to see what people could have done with the Sorcerer and its hi-res graphics.

• 1 year later...

tempest and I built a BASIC ROM Pac for his Sorcerer II. Its 32K EPROM holds 4 versions of Exidy BASIC but we haven't added the selection switches yet. Aside from wiring the rat's nest on the back, the hardest part was figuring out what plastic to cut out of the 8-track case.

post-18605-0-03242300-1483900543_thumb.jpg

Now that I have a BASIC cartridge I can run a few more programs such as Super Star Trek (every classic computer needs to run Star Trek!). I also managed to find the listing for Wizards Castle which was originally done on the Sorcerer (in the computer shop that ClausB worked at no less). I'll let everyone know when I get it up and running.

• Like 2