IGNORED

CocoSDC SD card adapter cartridge command reference

ianoid

I got one of these super cool things that is basically a cartridge you can use with your Coco to load disk images into (from an SD card inserted into it) and run just about anything archived for the Tandy Color Computers.

I haven't fully figured out a few things about it's use, but I did spend a good while figuring it out because it's not thoroughly documented for doofuses like myself.

SO, I made a website that summarizes my findings. It's an awesome piece of kit and it was worth the minimal trouble to get up to speed on it.

CocoSDC quick reference link here

References at the bottom include links to the designer. I had a case 3D printed for mine (someone else had done the design and I just paid him), although these units also fit into a Coco utility cart.

• Like 3

This is awesome thanks. I shouldn't admit this but I've had a CocoSDC for a couple of months and have yet to try it. Part of that is I need to get a new SD card for it and keep forgetting when I'm out. The other part is I need a case for it, I just have the bare board and I'm afraid to touch the thing, I feel like I'm going to break it :D

• Like 3

I haven't fully figured out a few things about it's use, but I did spend a good while figuring it out because it's not thoroughly documented for doofuses like myself.

Every time I hear a comment like this, it really confuses me, as there's been a manual for the CoCoSDC almost since it was released. It can be downloaded here.

Guess it's one of the MANY reasons the CoCo Community seems to be the red-headed stepchild of the 8-bit retro scene - effective communication really does suck.

• Like 2

I posted this before, but go here:

You need to go to the CoCoList. A member there named Gustavo Ranuar Schoenaker converted/renamed the games from the www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Disks/Games/ to CoCoSDC compatible on 2/22/2015. It is a must-have for the CoCoSDC, works great.

The names of the games are redone and ready for the CoCoSDC. Combine these with Ianoid's cheatsheet and you are ready for some CoCo!

See here:

https://pairlist5.pair.net/pipermail/coco/

This is awesome thanks. I shouldn't admit this but I've had a CocoSDC for a couple of months and have yet to try it. Part of that is I need to get a new SD card for it and keep forgetting when I'm out. The other part is I need a case for it, I just have the bare board and I'm afraid to touch the thing, I feel like I'm going to break it :D

I can get you the email of the guy that prints them for maybe $20 or so? I like mine in RED. And the whole I've had but haven't played with it thing- welcome to my world. I have so much fun stuff I don't have time to get to. I try to stay on top of it, but it's almost impossible.

Every time I hear a comment like this, it really confuses me, as there's been a manual for the CoCoSDC almost since it was released. It can be downloaded here.

Guess it's one of the MANY reasons the CoCo Community seems to be the red-headed stepchild of the 8-bit retro scene - effective communication really does suck.

I looked through those documents and used them quite a bit, but I was still a little confused by the use of the card. I prefer the links on Zippster's page, I think it was, which the manual copies liberally. Still, I wasn't exactly sure how the whole thing would function.

It would be really neat if someone could take the time to write a menu driven program to use with that ROM set.

The Coco scene doesn't get the same amount of respect many others do, and I think it's because the computer is misunderstood. Being on that CocoList showed me that the Coco scene is as technical as any of the other active vintage computing scenes.

I also gained respect for the system when I found out that the Commavid guys programmed all of their 2600 games using a Coco rig with their own hardware added on.

I looked through those documents and used them quite a bit, but I was still a little confused by the use of the card. I prefer the links on Zippster's page, I think it was, which the manual copies liberally. Still, I wasn't exactly sure how the whole thing would function.

It would be really neat if someone could take the time to write a menu driven program to use with that ROM set.

The Coco scene doesn't get the same amount of respect many others do, and I think it's because the computer is misunderstood. Being on that CocoList showed me that the Coco scene is as technical as any of the other active vintage computing scenes.

I also gained respect for the system when I found out that the Commavid guys programmed all of their 2600 games using a Coco rig with their own hardware added on.

I created that manual for Darren - if there's anything that you have questions on or areas that need clarification, please let me know. It's purpose was to help make life easier for SDC buyers.

Several people are considering a menu driven system, as the typing of the commands can get tedious.

There are MANY reasons the CoCo scene is looked at differently... one of which is we seem to eat our own. There's constant fighting, especially when someone discusses a new product they are considering, it's almost like a feeding frenzy.

I didn't know that - that's pretty damn cool...

A menu-driven system for the CoCoSDC would be amazing and would make it the ultimate such device for the CoCo (arguably, it already is). There are actually several quality flash-based devices for the CoCo, but they all use relatively obtuse interfaces (understandably, because of how file systems work on the CoCo).

• 1 year later...

I just got a CocoSDC and I am completely lost with getting this set up. When the cartridge boots up, the red light stays on for 2 seconds and turns off, but anytime I try to access the SD card I get i/o errors. The SD card is formatted fat32 and has one folder names games on the root. I then break it down into different folders for every letter in the alphabet with various sub folders in them (A1,A2,etc)

How can I access the folders on the SD card when I boot up the system?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by killersquirel

I have the manual printed out. :) but a one page cheat sheet is always appreciated. (as is the manual of course so props to the creator of the manual, and of course the device...and the guy who created the board and distributed it... and the guy who created disk images that would work on it...) I'm pretty sure I did not forget anyone... but if I did, thank you.

Just a little note to say thanks... I love these modern gadgets for retro computers... it's the best. :)

now for my "I obviously did not read the manual" type question: once a disk imaged is loaded to drive 0, how does one boot the disk image, instead of running or loadm'ing a file.

I would like to play with 0S9 but not sure how to boot it... I thought Typing dos would boot but it doesnt, unless of course I dont have a proper OS9 image? (is it ok to send me disk images or post a link to them, I ask incase it's still in production" :)

Cheers. :)

Edited by Waltermixxx

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If anyone is still looking for an SDC and/or a case for yours, let me know, as I have both and can put you in touch with the folks that make these.

Oh, and there's also an SDC UI out now! You can download off the Color Computer Archive site.

Please PM me if you have a CoCoSDC available to sell.

Thanks.

Edited by 917k

• 4 years later...
On 7/10/2015 at 9:32 AM, RangerG said:

I posted this before, but go here:

You need to go to the CoCoList. A member there named Gustavo Ranuar Schoenaker converted/renamed the games from the www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Disks/Games/ to CoCoSDC compatible on 2/22/2015. It is a must-have for the CoCoSDC, works great.

The names of the games are redone and ready for the CoCoSDC. Combine these with Ianoid's cheatsheet and you are ready for some CoCo!

See here:

https://pairlist5.pair.net/pipermail/coco/

Thanks RangerG! Does anyone have a copy of the "control spreadsheet" linked on that download page? It's a dead link there now.