IGNORED

Season 4 - The New HSC - Week 26 = Stay Frosty 2

S.BAZ

Same here. I didn't realize the screen was double wide and, after much deliberation, took a leap of faith to my doom. I just don't know where I'm aiming my jump when the platform is off screen

I think you jump as far and as high as you can

• Like 1

I definitely see ways to improve, but I don't think I'll have enough time tonight. Once again, great game!

Score: 20,979

As a post script, I went to a local arcade on Friday and they had an Asteroids Deluxe upright. I don't remember ever playing it, so I thought I'd give it a try. As I was getting to the end of the first wave of asteroids, a killer satellite descended upon me and broke up into a series of heat seeking mini-satellites. My first thought was, "they stole that from Space Rocks!" I then realized that Space Rocks might have gotten the idea from Asteroids Deluxe :-) Anyway, if you like Stay Frosty 2, I highly recommend SpiceWare's Space Rocks as well!

post-34643-0-80458000-1437346620_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

After many tries, I managed to complete the game again. Score: 378,853

Absolutely fantastic game that keeps you coming back to play again and again. Glad to have this game in my collection.

Glad we did all that testing to make sure that the game could be completed. :)

• Like 2

First of all, let me congratulate everyone involved with the making of this game.

It's clear that a lot of time and care was put into this game, and the programmers and level designers should be commended.

Good show!! Really.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about allowing insiders to compete in this week's HSC.

I like the "beat the programmer (SpiceWare)" idea for bonus points, but the play-testers like McCallister and Nathan Strum were clearly playing on another level due to prior knowledge and experience that the rest of us weren't privy to.

Edited by MoomUnit
  • Like 1

would like to see video of the game play to complete the game............

Do you mean video of the final boss screen or video of the entire game?

The topic of video has come up before, but I confess to being a ignorant of video capture to a computer and what not. I also don't have a youtube account...

• Like 1

First of all, let me congratulate everyone involved with the making of this game.

It's clear that a lot of time and care was put into this game, and the programmers and level designers should be commended.

Good show!! Really.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about allowing insiders to compete in this week's HSC.

I like the "beat the programmer (SpiceWare)" idea for bonus points, but the play-testers like McCallister and Nathan Strum were clearly playing on another level due to prior knowledge and experience that the rest of us weren't privy to.

I wasn't a playtester :ponder: The first time I played the game was when I received it during the holidays.

• Like 1

Good show!! Really.

Thanks!

A demo was released Xmas 2013, for which people could have already known how to play thru the first 7 levels, thus becoming familiar with most of the mechanics of the game (we purposely left out the scrolling levels, so that would have been new).

The game itself has also been available or over 7 months so people like McCallister, who was not a play tester, could have completed the game already (see his screenshot behind the spoiler button).

The Stay Frosty games are as much Nathan's as they are mine - he came up with the initial concept, did the majority of the graphics, designed levels, gameplay, etc. Perhaps consider it as "+1 beat the programmer" and "+1 beat the designer", for which the results would be exactly the same as they are now.

Besides that, we've never had a requirement in the HSC of "in order to compete, you must never have played this game before"...

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 3

Thanks!

A demo was released Xmas 2013, for which people could have already known how to play thru the first 7 levels, thus becoming familiar with most of the mechanics of the game (we purposely left out the scrolling levels, so that would have been new).

The game itself has also been available or over 7 months so people like McCallister, who was not a play tester, could have completed the game already (see his screenshot behind the spoiler button).

The Stay Frosty games are as much Nathan's as they are mine - he came up with the initial concept, did the majority of the graphics, designed levels, gameplay, etc. Perhaps consider it as "+1 beat the programmer" and "+1 beat the designer", for which the results would be exactly the same as they are now.

Besides that, we've never had a requirement in the HSC of "in order to compete, you must never have played this game before"...

I have no problem with when the game was available. Let's face it, there are some carts/games out there since 1981 that I've never played.

And I was wrong about McCalliser being a play-tester. My apologies there. He's just really awesome, apparently.

Maybe it would have been nice knowing about you (as the progammer) and Nathan (as the designer) going into the week's contest.

That way, it wouldn't have seemed like we were being ganged up on or ambushed.