IGNORED

The Voice Static

byonddrivn

Hello,

I recently bought an O2 and it came with The Voice module. I have a number of games that can use it, Nimble Ned, Sid, Timelord, K.C., Killer Bees, etc. but when I try getting sound out of the add-on I either get immediant intermittent static or it works for a few seconds and then I get the static. For example, when playing K.C.'s Krazy Chase I sometimes can hear "Go" & Watch Out" when starting the game but then it's just static every now and then afterwards. I don't think it's the games since I've tried multiple carts and I've tried cleaning the contacts on the system and the add-on. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm also looking for any ideas on refurishing the joysticks, the action on Player 1 seems weak, and while it doesn't affect gameplay, it doesn't want to center itself very well. The system did come with The Quest for the Rings but I'm missing the hourglass and possessions tokens too, if anyone has any ideas on replacing those.

Thanks

Edited by byonddrivn

I had tried sliding the volume control switch back and forth multiple times to "shake off the rust" and that didn't seem to help but letting it run and hitting reset whenever the static started did get me more time before the it started again. I finally opened the module up a couple of days ago and, while I couldn't get it all the way open because the volume/power sticker started to peel away, I could see inside. 2 of the speaker wires seemed very close together so I separated and cleaned them. I also sprayed the inside a bit with contact cleaner, everything worked good with multiple carts. Later in the day K.C.'s Krazy Chase worked well for the 15 minutes I had it running. I tried it again the next day with some Voice games and Sid gave me static right away but hitting the reset button cleared it up. I tried the games again last night and everything was good. Still testing before I order party hats and celebrate, more thorough cleaning is probably needed.

I did see the metal ring that holds the inside of the joystick together was loose so I took the joystick apart and cleaned it and reseated the ring. The plastic ring under the spring inside isn't sliding like it should on the bottom of the controller because I didn't have the proper lubrication for it but the controller works much better now too.

A/V mod is next.