IGNORED

Need AtariVox Extension Cables

Albert

I'm looking for DB9 extension cables to connect the AtariVox+ to Atari 2600, 7800 and Vectrex systems. I bought some Sega Genesis Retro-Bits extension cables, thinking they would work, but surprisingly the AtariVox+ will not plug into the female end of the cable. I can force it, but it's an extremely tight fit. The other end plugs into the systems just fine (at least the 2600 and 7800--don't have a Vectrex handy at the moment).

Has anyone else used an extension cable with the AtariVox or AtariVox+, and if so, what cable did you end up using? I'm hopoing to get some of these before the end of next week in time for the Classic Game Fest.

Thanks!

..Al

I too bought some Retro Bit extension cables for the sole use of using with the AtariVox and was aghast to find they don't fit! Ended up using a Sega branded extension cable from BITD. Try to do a search for some of them. They must say Sega on the ends of the connectors...

I'm looking for DB9 extension cables to connect the AtariVox+ to Atari 2600, 7800 and Vectrex systems. I bought some Sega Genesis Retro-Bits extension cables, thinking they would work, but surprisingly the AtariVox+ will not plug into the female end of the cable. I can force it, but it's an extremely tight fit. The other end plugs into the systems just fine (at least the 2600 and 7800--don't have a Vectrex handy at the moment).

Has anyone else used an extension cable with the AtariVox or AtariVox+, and if so, what cable did you end up using? I'm hopoing to get some of these before the end of next week in time for the Classic Game Fest.

Thanks!

..Al

Check out this one: http://edladdin.com/Game-Controller-Extension-Cord-ec-3-001.htm

He is registered here by the name "edladdin"

Check out this one: http://edladdin.com/Game-Controller-Extension-Cord-ec-3-001.htm

He is registered here by the name "edladdin"

The female end looks suspiciously like the Retro-Bits cable, but I'l write "edladdin" and ask. Thanks!

I have purchased some Sega cables from two different sellers on eBay, so hopefully those will work out.

..Al

I thought the issue you were concerned about it is a cable for the Vectrex which has the wedge-shaped port. Genesis cables need to be shaved down. I thought there no connection issues with any of the Atari units and that the Vectrex was the only system that required something so it would fit.

I thought the issue you were concerned about it is a cable for the Vectrex which has the wedge-shaped port. Genesis cables need to be shaved down. I thought there no connection issues with any of the Atari units and that the Vectrex was the only system that required something so it would fit.

While the AtariVox does fit in the joystick ports for 2600 consoles, it's relatively easy to knock the AtariVox out of place, and it's not a terribly firm connection. Using an extension cable allows to you move the AtariVox and the connecting audio cable out of the way. The AtariVox will not fit in the 7800 at all without an extension cable, due to the console overhanging the controller ports on the front by a fair bit. It probably would fit if you took the AtariVox out of the case (which is easy), but then the components on the board could be more easily damaged. I don't have a Vectrex handy at the moment to see if these extension cables would fit.

..Al

All Genesis cables will have to be modified as in these pictures so they can fit in a Vectrex port.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14482990@N08/3649825748/in/album-72157620164985374/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14482990@N08/3649825956/in/album-72157620164985374/

I have one of Golden Ax's AtariVox+. I leave a shaved down Genesis cable in the Vectrex at all times. This saves wear on the systems ports and makes it so I don't have to modify the plug on all my custom controllers.

While the AtariVox does fit in the joystick ports for 2600 consoles, it's relatively easy to knock the AtariVox out of place, and it's not a terribly firm connection. Using an extension cable allows to you move the AtariVox and the connecting audio cable out of the way. The AtariVox will not fit in the 7800 at all without an extension cable, due to the console overhanging the controller ports on the front by a fair bit. It probably would fit if you took the AtariVox out of the case (which is easy), but then the components on the board could be more easily damaged. I don't have a Vectrex handy at the moment to see if these extension cables would fit.

..Al

Perhaps you could sell one of these with each vox ? I got mine from a friend so I have no idea of the cost , but if they are cheap enough people might like it better than an extension cable . Fits perfect in a 7800 .

post-30396-0-00609900-1437317570_thumb.jpg

post-30396-0-67502200-1437317584_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Perhaps you could sell one of these with each vox ? I got mine from a friend so I have no idea of the cost , but if they are cheap enough people might like it better than an extension cable . Fits perfect in a 7800 .

Those are interesting, I will have to look to see what I can purchase them for in quantity, but I'd want to do some tests first. I would at the very least like to make an extension cable available as an option for those who want them, and you need a cable or adapter for the 7800 and Vectrex. That's part of the reason I've been trying out these various cables. Unfortunately, the Retro-Bits seems to be the most common and least expensive of these cables, and of course it does not work.

..Al

That's good to know, thanks. Are those your photos? If so, do you mind if I use them?

Thanks,

..Al

Yes I just took those two photos and no I don't mind at all . I have not looked them up online to see on cost so that could work out great if they are cheap enough in bulk .

Unfortunately, that adapter won't work as is for the Vectrex. However, if you drill out the holes in the metal shrouding, it should reveal a plastic housing and bare wires. You can then use heat shrink tubing and a make an inexpensive extension that should work. Here is a bulk auction for those same adapters. I believe that both Dan Siewers and John Madtronix used this method for plugs for their Vectrex peripherals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-9-Pin-RS232-DB9-Male-to-Female-Serial-Cable-Gender-Changer-Coupler-Adapter-/141637096374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fa3a93b6