IGNORED

Introducing the IntyBASIC SDK

DZ-Jay

• 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION:

We encountered a bug in the latest version of the "IntySmap" utility included with the IntyBASIC SDK that manifests occasionally when building your project with the "INTYBUILD" utility. The bug causes "IntySmap" to crash with a Windows Access Violation error, but is otherwise completely innocuous and won't affect the compilation process. It is just annoying to get an error pop-up window.

"IntySmap" attempts to re-map the symbol table from the Assembly source code listing to the IntyBASIC source files so that the debugger can show the exact BASIC line instead of an object code disassembly during debugging.

Oscar has patched the "IntySmap" utility to solve the problem, and the new version will be included on the next release of the IntyBASIC SDK. In the meantime, we recommend everyone using the SDK to replace the file "IntySmap.exe" in the "bin" folder of their SDK installation with the one posted by Oscar in the official IntyBASIC thread.

If anybody needs help with this, or if anyone encounters any issues at all with the IntyBASIC SDK, I encourage you to post a message in the Programming forum. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I may be a crap at assembly, but I'm pretty good with modern RAD environments. I may try to make a regular IDE and it would take me few days. Are you interested?

Most definitely! I created the SDK tools, so if I can help with anything in adapting it to your IDE, just let me know. :)

dZ.

I have to admit besides personal challenges this year not having something like VisualbB (batariBASIC) has been a huge blocking issue. I'm wondering how I can help accelerate the process of getting a visual IDE as part of the SDK. No, really! Not prodding. Actually wondering how to help :)

I'll try to do something over the weekend.

//edit: Never mind. Why not build the IDE as an Atom extension?

Probably because everyone already has their own customizable favourite editor to deal with and is not willing to learn a new one. Just a thought.

For instance, I use TextMate on a Mac at home, and EditPlus on Windows at the office. I have custom build and project tools and language files I've made for both over the years. I've invested many hours and lots of sweat on those editors and they work for me rather well. I've taken a look at Sublime, Atom, Emacs, and many others over the years and the truth is that it seems a lot harder to figure them out and get acquainted with them (in spite of their marvelous features), than to adapt one of the ones I use with another custom tool, or just forgo some special feature they don't support. I'm also old and set in my ways. ;)

This is the same reason I made the SDK as a set of console scripts (batch files in Windows; shell scripts on Mac): because it's a feature supported already on the target platform that the programmer is probably already using (IntyBASIC and asm1600 are already command line tools). If they have a pet code editor, they can integrate them if they wish.

I thought that was preferable than to suggest to everyone to purchase EditPlus for Windows in order to follow my personal workflow. ;)

All that said, a simple and specialized IDE for IntyBASIC wouldn't be a bad idea, and I probably would use it (for whatever limited extent I use IntyBASIC at all). I say "simple and specialized" in the sense of an interface dedicated to Intellivision programming features, rather than an "all-you-can-eat", "do-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" code editor with tons of power features I probably won't care to learn.

As with many other things, your mileage may vary.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Hm, so something like NESICIDE, but for Intellivision?

That would require stuff like integrating the emulator directly into the editor and making tools for doing 1bit graphics (because all graphics in Inty are essentially 1bit). The former may be harder to do than the later (I've once done a drawing tool for Megazeux and that thing has crazy binary format for its SMZX mode which the tool was dedicated to, simple 1bit editor wouldn't be hard at all). Plus, a simple music tracker that can output MUSIC routines would be needed.

As for building the tool around Atom my point was it's really hackable and open-source so it could be developed quite easily (syntax highlight package here, package that can build and run the games there) and if you don't like the Atom, you can use different editor with the command line utility. Plus, it's not like you have to use all those features. I don't even use half of the stuff that's in Atom. Yet, when I need something it usually is there.

• Like 1

Probably because everyone already has their own customizable favourite editor to deal with and is not willing to learn a new one. Just a thought.

For instance, I use TextMate on a Mac at home, and EditPlus on Windows at the office. I have custom build and project tools and language files I've made for both over the years. I've invested many hours and lots of sweat on those editors and they work for me rather well. I've taken a look at Sublime, Atom, Emacs, and many others over the years and the truth is that it seems a lot harder to figure them out and get acquainted with them (in spite of their marvelous features), than to adapt one of the ones I use with another custom tool, or just forgo some special feature they don't support. I'm also old and set in my ways. ;)

This is the same reason I made the SDK as a set of console scripts (batch files in Windows; shell scripts on Mac): because it's a feature supported already on the target platform that the programmer is probably already using (IntyBASIC and asm1600 are already command line tools). If they have a pet code editor, they can integrate them if they wish.

I thought that was preferable than to suggest to everyone to purchase EditPlus for Windows in order to follow my personal workflow. ;)

All that said, a simple and specialized IDE for IntyBASIC wouldn't be a bad idea, and I probably would use it (for whatever limited extent I use IntyBASIC at all). I say "simple and specialized" in the sense of an interface dedicated to Intellivision programming features, rather than an "all-you-can-eat", "do-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" code editor with tons of power features I probably won't care to learn.

As with many other things, your mileage may vary.

-dZ.

I think for some in my generation (QuickBASIC, Borland C, Visual Basic, etc..) having to not worry about scrounging and configuring an IDE is *the* critical step to usage. When I learned to program the IDE was already there when you launched the first executable. I think the part where we get picky about IDE stylings come after a certain amount of savvy. Certainly the willingness to subvert non specific editing tools to our will.

I downloaded Atom myself to see if it can be massaged into workable form. I'll also look into coding my own IDE (though I've never attempted such a feat.)

Not sure what direction would help the community. Lord knows I've got a backlog of projects I'm already committed to - including some Inty titles. Any direction would be helpful :)

Isn't there already an IntyBASIC IDE, the Brazilian one?

That site has an IntyIDE that seems to be for assembly. They have IntelliTool which may work. I had to navigate blind to get it into English. After that it failed to compile an included constants.bas example. I tried a different example with the same results.

So, it maaaaaay work with some massaging and better integration into the SDK? Probably need to get a better opinion than mine :)

http://intellivisionbrasil.com.br/Menu_Tutoriais.htm

OK, as I wait for my first real Intellivision (ever) to arrive, to play with and to code on,

I found this wonderful thread and I wonder if a Linux version of this is now available?

Cheers,

Richard / JustClaws.

IntyBASIC compiler is available in Linux version in the package. But the SDK is still Windows-dependant.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I have recently found out about the IntyBasic and I want to try and make my own intellivision game. I have never attempted to work a on project like this before and I am a little confused on how to get started. I am hoping someone point me in the right direction and pass on some advice on what to do.

• I use windows 10
  • I primarily use visual studio community

I downloaded "intybasic compiler v0.9" and looked at the manual and it says what it does is compile "basic" to assembly with the command

intybasic in.bas output.asm [library_path]

and that I can use the complied assembly to turn into binary? Using the command

as1600 -o output.bin -l output.lst output.asm

like in the first step using IntyBASIC.exe again in cmd? Then I take the binary file and make the rom with the command

jzintv output.bin

which is invoked by some .exe in the jzintv folder?

And then I can test that rom on a emulator or the one included with jzintv?

Do I understand the compile process correctly or have I misunderstood anything?

Ooops apparently I had been looking at the wrong version of intyBasic. Wow the current version is awesome!

Edited by dontblowincartridge

The current version of intybasic is 1.2.9

Start from that

There is also a sdk able to support the make if new projects and to run the emulator, try that one, it is in the first post of this thread

lol,I have no clue how I found and was looking into using a version so old. Wow its come a long way. So should I add the intyBasic compiler v 1.2.9 to the current intyBasic sdk 1.1.1 ? Is just a simple copy paste? Or should I wait for sdk version 1.2? Or is the current version of the sdk posted already updated? Sorry just trying to make sure I have the most updated version of everything now. Is there a github?

Edited by dontblowincartridge

Take the last compiler from here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241446-intybasic-compiler-v129-the-good-things-are-now-better/page-1

and the last Intellivision emulator from here:

http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/

If you want to try the SDK take its last version from here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240526-introducing-the-intybasic-sdk/page-1

and replace the binary files of compiler and emulator with the files from the above packages.

Just replace the files, it should work without problems.

Compiler and emulator have to be executed from command line.

The SDK is a set of batch files to be executed from command line as well, it helps with parameters and sequence of operations.

Once you are familiar with parameters and commands you can do your own batch files and integrate them with your own preferred code editor or IDE (I use notepad++)

Edited by artrag

Take the last compiler from here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241446-intybasic-compiler-v129-the-good-things-are-now-better/page-1

and the last Intellivision emulator from here:

http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/

If you want to try the SDK take its last version from here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240526-introducing-the-intybasic-sdk/page-1

and replace the binary files of compiler and emulator with the files from the above packages.

Just replace the files, it should work without problems.

Compiler and emulator have to be executed from command line.

The SDK is a set of batch files to be executed from command line as well, it helps with parameters and sequence of operations.

Once you are familiar with parameters and commands you can do your own batch files and integrate them with your own preferred code editor or IDE (I use notepad++)

Thank you that helps a lot. :)

I am in the process of releasing the latest SDK, it should be out by next week. :)

It will have the latest IntyBASIC compiler as well and many updates.

-dZ.

Awesome! Make sure to update it in this thread. That will definitely help new comers like me get started. And hopefully without fiddling around with a old version like me at first :grin:

Can I suggest you consider setting up a github for intyBASIC SDK? In my opinion, it would make things a lot easier for downloads, updates, and bug reports. Either way this project is very cool and thanks for putting in the effort for making this even exist. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi DZ-Jay

Im an back. I lost the other web site you gave to me to look at programs

for programers to download.

Well My daughter has moved on to Texas A&M

I am not my daughter that was just starting out in programing.

I am ready to get serious and start writing games for the Intellevision

Let get Started. I know there is Basic but I think most the game would be written in assembly

language. That means I need an instruction set for the chip we are using in the Intellevision

game console.

Thanks

15 hours ago, Sean39 said:

I know there is Basic but I think most the game would be written in assembly language. That means I need an instruction set for the chip we are using in the Intellevision game console.

On the contrary, the IntyBASIC compiler generates good enough code for commercial releases. While some might be hand coding in assembly language for the maximum results, you will get very far with IntyBASIC these days.