IGNORED

New: VECTREX Joystick Kit for sale

Rolo

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that my kit is still in the box...

Anybody offering a plug and play case?

if you have access to the 3D printer then you can print your own case.

See here:

VecJoy case on Thingiverse by creator Minestorm for Rolo's Vectrex joystick kit.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2272425

7012b5394ef41a60901ff74106940b0e_preview

Edited by Vectrexer
  • Like 1

I finished assembling the kit I purchased. I made several modifications but they were fairly easy thanks to how customizable this kit is. Everything controls great and I'm really enjoying the auto fire. If I ever made another, I would do a few things differently. I would make my overlay matte instead of glossy, it is a real fingerprint magnet. Thank you Rolo for a great kit. I really enjoyed building it but will enjoy using it that much more.

That is one slick looking controller! :grin:

Kirchhoff: If I ever made another, I would do a few things differently.

That's my problem, too. Each time I make something, I have some ideas to modify or maybe to improve. ;)

On the one hand it's good, to make things better, on the other hand it's generating a bunch of differnet versions with incompatibilities. Even if only mechanical, not good for a universal case, for example.

Thank you everybody for showing your individual Vectrex-controllers! :)

Great work!

See here:

VecJoy case on Thingiverse by creator Minestorm for Rolo's Vectrex joystick kit.

See here:

Thanks , I will check if someone can help me print ut :)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but is there any plans for a 4th run? I know the timing is horrible right now, considering all the worldwide madness going on at the moment, though I remain hopeful. I'd buy 2 kits at least, maybe 3. :)

This is such an awesome kit, it's a shame more weren't made. I know ordering these PCBs from a fab shop probably takes a lot of time, money and energy, so I can understand if Rolo isn't feeling up to doing it a 4th time. If that's the case, it would be awesome if the gerbers were made available to vectrex fans at some point, to get a couple boards fabbed up on your own.. Just as long as you don't profit off of it.

Unfortunately, this might be the only analog controller kit that was ever made available to begin with.. I really can't think of any others, but I may be wrong.

Seems like there's a ton of digital kits out there, that's for sure (not that there's anything wrong with that). ? However, I'm an avid analog fan & user.. I still have my original diy controller made with this kit, built a couple years ago, which I use almost exclusively to play Vectrex, so I'd love to build a couple more, or perhaps do another dual stick type controller. Anyways, fingers crossed for a 4th. :)  Cheers!

20200411_024248.jpg

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
:)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but is there any plans for a 4th run? I know the timing is horrible right now, considering all the worldwide madness going on at the moment, though I remain hopeful. I'd buy 2 kits at least, maybe 3. :)

I still have mine I never built and would pass along at this point.

I haven't followed closely but I think it is the second version.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 8:38 AM, gliptitude said:

I still have mine I never built and would pass along at this point.

I haven't followed closely but I think it is the second version.

I recall buying your first batch kit so you could get the second batch kit. First is a single PCB board while the second is 2 PCB halves. 

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I haven't been here for a loooooong time! :) Well, I see, some of you still are working on the kit.? By the way, I myself am still waiting for a specially designed wooden case a friend promised to manufacture for me.... Maybe I should ask again.

"Sales" really were going down, new projects were being announced and I did not see any future need for the kit. This may have changed? Well, if there is demand for a new batch, I could go for another one. Not immediately, but in the next few months or so. I do not have parts anymore, so I'd need to order buttons, printed levers, cables, pcbs, small parts, connectors, analog controllers, switches ... Probably, I'd have to adapt the pcbs, because normally I don't get all parts anymore. 

Transportation is a problem at the moment! For example, I do not have an affordable way to ship to the US anymore! I have problems with a delivery to Australia, too. This disease really changed a few things!

What do you think? Shall I start a new waiting list for a batch of kits?

Sorry for not responding such a long time.

Best regards,

Roland

• Like 1

Hey, Rolo! Good to hear from you. I'm in for 2 kits, if another run is made.. I'd love to make another, 'improved' analog twin stick controller. ?

Even if I could just get an extra analog thumbstick PCB with 1 kit, that would be fine since I tie the player 2 buttons into the 1st. ? On my last controller, I used your kit and made my own protoboard type PCB with the 2nd thumbstick on it.

Anyways, welcome back and thanks for considering more kits! Hopefully others will sign up.. I'll certainly do my part to help spread the word. :) Cheers

maybe if enough of us wanted kits in the US we could combine shipping from Germany, sharing the cost, and thus it could be affordable.  Someone would have to act as a trusted middle man in the US on Roland's behalf to ship the individual orders by US Mail once the "Uber" package arrives.

I've been trying to spread the word for you, Rolo. ;) I mentioned it on the ever popular Vectrex Fans Unite facebook group, which is very active. I instructed everyone there to state their interest here in this thread, so hopefully enough are interested so that another batch made. Fingers crossed! ?

BTW, here is mine, in its latest incarnation. Twin stick, w/ a spinner.. An all-in-one controller was the goal. However, I'd like to go back to using only 2 cables instead of 3 though, wiring the spinner up to a switch, toggling it on/off between spinner & regular player 2 controls. ?

20200718_223511.thumb.jpg.1268e737ef0fc63a029aebf2276caa60.jpg

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
  • Like 2

Thanks a lot! ? Well, I haven't heard anything concerning the joystick kit for years. It really was over.

And thanks for sharing. I like to see, which ideas come up and how people like their controller to be. Could be a good thing to know, for a potential redesign.

Talking about shipping, I hope that things eventually will get back to normal and DHL hopefully will offer small, cheap parcel transportation again, like they used to do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time for this summer to come to an end. ?

As long as the sun? is shining, I really can't go back to my desk ?️ and make things.

I have a lot of homework to do on various projects. 

In the meantime, I got the case I "ordered". Yes! ?

I'll show you pictures, as soon as I've assembled and finished the final item of the last batch, that I have.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is my latest creation.

Finally a friend of mine finished a wooden case, that I designed for a joystick kit, some time ago. I wanted to make a joystick, which can be played by left handed as well as by right handed. So what can be done? Well, a symmetric design seems to be a solution. 

Look at the case. The cover can be removed simply by pulling, since it is held in place by magnets:

case.thumb.jpg.84ca48465c0523ff1787a5f8e01ba43e.jpg

The finished joystick, button 1 to button 4 from top to bottom. Buttons 3 and 4 being independently capable of auto-firing with an adjustable frequency.

ready.thumb.jpg.076b36a26ab6c43e1ca7f0bec5fdbacd.jpg

Under the (:) wood-)hood, there is my last item of joystick kit (version 2) as shown in the postings above. Space for the cables is quite limited. A few millimeters more, would have been a good idea, but I wanted the joystick to be compact. The flat part of the case is as big as an original VECTREX joystick. Note the little magnets.

inside.thumb.jpg.bab7cb5e1c6d671b83d9e60e0bd32e08.jpg

It can be played like this or like that. I don't know yet which one is better for me. In real life I'm a 100 percent right handed, but with the joystick it's kind of a tie. I probably have to go on playing. ??  ??

rightHand.thumb.jpg.5280183630b868e99408d58ac0849f7a.jpgleftHand.thumb.jpg.cfc5ef24a5666ef3c0dc0462417dc832.jpg

I wonder, if should paint the case or leave the wooden design as it is. Wood probably is not the best material for the control part of the panel. Maybe a 3D printed plastic part or a numerically drilled and cut pcb-panel, would be easier, faster and more exact to fabricate.

Best regards,

Rolo

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...