IGNORED

New: VECTREX Joystick Kit for sale

Rolo

• 3 weeks later...

Project update:

Due to fine weather, a few days of vacation and a constant lack of time, my progress is embarrassingly slow at the moment. :sleep:

• Yesterday I got a box full of red buttons right from Japan.
  • And I'm having enough controller cables in the meantime.
  • I tried to get the joystick levers printed, but my old supplier went out of business. Some companies rejected the order due to some problems. I got a prototype printed by another guy abroad, which I first must hold in my hands, to see if that one is accurate enough. Still don't have it. Maybe, I have to switch again. Maybe a supplier, who is closer to my place, but those are far more expensive! We'll see.
  • I ordered most of electronic components for a few kits and will order some more/missing parts in a few minutes. By the way, each kit consists of 74 parts.

So, even, if you do not hear anything from me, I'm working in the background. The project is alive!

Thanks for your patience!

-Rolo

:)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Project update:

I finally ordered the 3D printed joysticks from a different manufacturer nearby. I should get them at the end of the week. I hope, they will be fitting exactly! :!:

This means I could built and test a prototype of the new design. I really should do this, before I forget everything! It's really hard during summertime!

-Rolo

project update:

I built the first item of Vectrex Controller version 1.3! :thumbsup:

It is fully working, as it is supposed to do. I found no faults. Great! :)

post-32856-0-71267700-1502827657.jpg

As you probably see, I rearranged components on the electronics pcb, to make it easier to mount a board to a panel. All bulky components are on the solder-side now. Slim components and controls are on the front side/component-side. Two 6 mm distance rollers and two screws hold the pcb in place. Controls are sitting directly on the pcb. You just have to provide cut-offs in the panel. Furthermore I rotated the board by 90 degrees, to gain some more room for the four buttons inside the case.

I can start now, to produce all those pcbs, assemble the kits and slowly try to serve the waiting list. I'll PM the people on the list one by one and ask, if there still is some interest or maybe no more. No obligations! If no more interested, I'll simply skip the line and jump to the next name on my list.

-Rolo

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I got new components. Still soldering pcbs..... Got a not-enough-spare-time-problem. :-o

@takevin: Thanks. The number of kits is limited. But I put your name on the list. Not sure at the moment, how many of the kits haven't already been pre-ordered. I'll PM you in time...

So i would have to come up with a box to put the electronics into?

Yes, you'll need a case. You can buy a cheap standard plastic case, which you get in any electronics store, or make a wooden box or maybe acrylic glass, or sheet metal ... or 3D-print something. You'll need to dremel cut-offs and drill holes into your panel. And you'll have to do some simple soldering (cables). So, a soldering iron should feel kind of familiar in your hand. I just take away the electronics work from you, the rest is up to you. ;-)

Pro tip: Cigar boxes make excellent joystick enclosurees...

If that's true - It would have been great to know about a year ago!

My mom past away 11 months ago and she had never cleaned out the garage (my dad passed 12 years ago) which had around 200-250 cigar boxes in it. We thought they were 'worthless' - but someone bought them in the estate sale...

Sigh - never throw stuff out :(

Wait then you end up on those hoarder shows!

Jeff