IGNORED

Mario Bros. on the Odyssey 2?

Thanks. I made some animation, but in order for it to work, I had to redraw the screen, which I always thought what if the POW block wasn't there? This is what it looks like.

I would have had to redo the screen anyway. When the Odyssey 2 gets stressed with a lot of stuff, the display starts to get all weird, starting at the top. This is why I had a problem with the pipes blinking in a previous unposted version. I have about 500 bytes left, so I can hopefully put in the fireball and add at least one other new enemy.

post-9475-0-04774300-1437065884_thumb.png

pn4a.bin

While I'm taking a break on programming this, I figure I have enough room to put in the crab (called "sidesteppers" in the original Mario Bros. game.) So in order for them to be in the game, I'd need to design them first. This is no easy task, given that the biggest sprite you can make on an Odyssey 2 is 8x8. So I took a look at the 2600 version of Mario Bros. The crabs look cool since they can be taller tan 8 pixels. But I am stuck with 8x8. This is my first attempt. I'd like to see what others can come up with, though.

post-9475-0-89435300-1437402863.png

• Like 1

I put the crab in the game. They take two hits to down, like in the original game. I've added an audio hit cue as well to aid you. That took up more room than I anticipated, so I used up 1,986 out of a possible 2,048. I guess I could experiment with going 4k, but I see no reason to as the game is playable right now. Unless you don't think so...

pn7.bin