IGNORED

If you could pick the tracks for Vid Grid 2...

Rick Dangerous

I've been listening to a lot of 90's alternative lately, and have often thought to myself "this track would have been awesome for Vid Grid 2"

So if you could pick nine tracks for Vid Grid 2, what would they be? Would you stick to rock or do something more modern, like a Daft Punk/Nero/Deadmou5e video set?

Or, alternatively, if you were in charge of making a sequel, what would you do differently to make the game more fun/interesting?

• Like 1

I wouldn't have made the "game" in the first place. :rolling:

The 'slide the tiles around a board' concept was okay with static images as a child and gave you something to do in the back seat of your parents station wagon, but... what about maybe something along the lines of a Rock and Roll version of Locomotion? haha

Guess I'm having trouble envisioning a spruced up or more compelling version of Vid Grid. :lol:

• Like 1

It was basically a free showcasing of the Jag CDs capabilities when the system was released that came as a pack-in and honestly, it wasn't too bad. It's definitely ideal for the more casual type gamers and the music was somewhat even spread, as long as you liked alternative haha. I mean, they did have plans for a Kid Grid and a Country Grid... both of which I'm not sad to have missed mind you. I always thought it would have been cool to release another version for fun with indie bands but one would need working/compilable code for something like that to happen and even then...

• Like 2

Country Grid was actually released on the PC if anybody really needs to see what it would've been like :P

I think Vid Grid was a pretty solid extra to include with the JagCD as Clint said, it was pretty well done for what it was and showed off some interesting FMV techniques for the time. Not something that many people would spend a lot of time on, but would leave a decent impression on them anyway.

Vid Grid was also released on the PC, although I never otherwise would've imagined it as a retail game sold outside a package.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

I would have liked to see a Chains Grid or anything/everything from Alice In Chains in a sequel.

Especially the video for Get Born Again. Robot chick is HOT. Love it when she 'tosses the pipe' while walking toward the camera :lust:

Great pick Saturn! This video reminds me that in Vid Grid 2 I would like to see and least one NIN video, either "Closer" or "the perfect drug"

• Like 1

Country Grid was actually released on the PC if anybody really needs to see what it would've been like :P

AWESOME! I'm going to try and track that down! :grin:

I think Vid Grid was a pretty solid extra to include with the JagCD as Clint said, it was pretty well done for what it was and showed off some interesting FMV techniques for the time.

I agree! Plus Vid Grid is a favourite amongst our retro gaming clubs meets and events. Gamers that love the songs that remind 'em of the days of Ye Olde tend to gravitate to it's old school goodness :cool:

- - -> EDIT <- - - Forgot to add to the Songlist of the Fantasy Sequel :twisted:

On top of the list: The Final Countdown! :-D

Then T.U.R.T.L.E. POWER in at second must-have spot :-D

And last but certainly not least, Ice Ice Baby takes the Bronze :-D

Edited by Serblander

We ever find the code for VidGrid? Would be fun to make other VidGrids.

I used to show this off to friends and I think it really did show a good variety of songs at the time with a cool game concept.

Truthfully though none of the games were the greatest that came with the Jaguar CD, they were neat teasers.

Blue Lightning - showing what an extended game with music track was like.

VidGrid - Showing what a game with video could be like.

Tempest 2000 soundtrack - In case people had not picked the game up already,

there was a game out there with a great soundtrack.

And the VLM (Virtual Light Machine) made the JagCD worth it alone I thought in 1999 when I got it.

Truthfully though none of the games were the greatest that came with the Jaguar CD, they were neat teasers.

Blue Lightning - showing what an extended game with music track was like.

VidGrid - Showing what a game with video could be like.

Tempest 2000 soundtrack - In case people had not picked the game up already,

there was a game out there with a great soundtrack.

And the VLM (Virtual Light Machine) made the JagCD worth it alone I thought in 1999 when I got it.

Don't forget MYST Demo :evil:

As for the VLM, i know i couldn't get enough of it when i got it (New/Sealed for $199 from Go Atari, remember that?! ahh, the good old days...)

• Like 1

The Myst Demo!! I never played that because I had the full version shortly after I had the JagCD. But yeh, awesome stuff.

As for Go Atari, I tried looking for that in the internet archive, but oh well. Fun store. I remember first getting into the Jaguar in 1999-2000 and just loving all the items they still had for sale. I think I bought a Jaguar hat from them.

The Myst Demo!! I never played that because I had the full version shortly after I had the JagCD. But yeh, awesome stuff.

Hehe, me too! Already had most of the CD games CIB before i got the CD Add-On (they were cheap as chips back then). Plus, as i already had the game, the collector in me forbade my curiosity to tear open that Demo shrinkwrapp (and it's STILL sealed)! :-D

As for Go Atari, I tried looking for that in the internet archive, but oh well. Fun store. I remember first getting into the Jaguar in 1999-2000 and just loving all the items they still had for sale. I think I bought a Jaguar hat from them.

I still have a printout of GoAtari's Jaguar pricelist from the interwebs back in the day :grin: As for Jagy merch, only got 2 Magic Eyes mugs - one for use and one for just in case i smashed the use one. Had to get them in seperate orders as they would not sell more than one magic eyes mug per single customer order :(

• Like 2

I bought the Jag-CD just after Christmas 1996, they were marked down pretty heavily, and I have to agree it was all about VLM for me.

That being said, a customizable "Choose-Your-Own-Videos" Vid-Grid would be entertaining.

And the Tempest 2000 soundtrack on CD was very much an appreciated bonus. That game really exposed me and got me hooked into electronic music in general.

• Like 2

And the Tempest 2000 soundtrack on CD was very much an appreciated bonus. That game really exposed me and got me hooked into electronic music in general.

That soundtrack was very amazing looking back. I too have listened to a lot of electronic music of various quality. Now I am curious to hear more of a "making of the Tempest soundtrack" and learn more of the musicians behind it. Atari did good on hiring on that.

And if Jeff Minter, well, that is even more amazing.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Thought High Voltage was supposed to release it to MegaData forever and a decade ago but they never followed through or something happened. Not sure...

Well sending it to MegaData is just the same as putting it in the furnace. Some people are just cocks.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

For me, these ancient slider puzzles are hard, especially when you get to the ones with smaller pieces and flipped over. I tried googling how to complete these puzzles but didn't find any gameplay techniques, so I never finished VidGrid. It would be nice if we could user edit the game and add our own music videos and burn a CD with it and upload the disc images for everybody. I like all kinds of music now, even meloncholy country music surprisingly(never thought I would like it when I was younger), so I would make a VidGrid with classic rock, metal music, death/speed metal music, goth, progressive metal, regular rock, even a select gangster rap music VidGrid, and then some all one band discs like; Iron Maiden, Pink floyd, Rammstein, Static-X, Slipknot, Korn, More Ozzy/Sabbath tracks - hell anything you want. I'll stop there this is one of those "What if" threads which is just like small talk as nothing will ever come of it unless MegaData releases the code and someone writes an editor and were able to burn discs with the videos changed out. Would have to keep in mind tho that, you'd have to use songs of at least a certain length to keep the game playable, I don't think short songs would work too well. :)