IGNORED

'GENESIS: SEGA'S NEW BEGINNING' VG&CE | August, 1989

Easily my favorite magazine article on Genesis -- The one that helped me make a choice between the two new consoles launching in the United States that year. This was a time long before Sonic existed, before there was a SEGA! scream, before 'Genesis does what Nintendon't!' marketing campaigns, before 8-meg home carts like Strider, before Street Fighter II, and only an early concept of the Super Famicom existed on the other side of the Pacific.

This was still the 1980s, and your world would never be the same.

8UikDNP.jpg?2

Fg62YbY.jpg?1

8PlpCg2.jpg?1

9m2aAtS.jpg?1

n3Z6u86.jpg?1

• Like 6

This was easily my favorite magazine of the era, period. It got me more interested in the industry more than any other and also got me into PC gaming.

I was chomping at the bit to get a Genesis and used my last paycheck of my summer job in 1990 to get a system along with Golden Axe.

My dad brought home a Genesis for my brother and I in spring 1990. Aside from the packed in Altered Beast, there was a mail-in offer for a free game, I chose Forgotten Worlds. That summer I had my first job, Herzog Zwei was the first game I bought with the money I had earned. I borrowed Golden Axe from a friend who attended another another school. The still-upcoming release of Thunder Force III

VG&CE Editor Andy Eddy appeared on Nickelodeon's short lived show Total Panic in the summer of 1989 showing off the 4 new game systems that would soon launch. TurboGrafx-16, GameBoy, Genesis and the Lynx.

The hosts of Total Panic, Greg Lee and Molly Scott, are pretty darn corny but it was cool to see Andy on television.

(starts at 10:15)

Edited by Parallax Scroll

I just picked up issue #1 and #2 of VG&CE last month, been looking for that for yeeeears.. need to check but i should almost have a complete run.

Easily my favorite magazine of the period as well. The big thing was unlike Nintendo Power it wasn't aimed at 10 year olds, also unlike EGM, it covered computer gaming. So that there made it my favorite easily.

Really good articles as well.

That was one of the earlier issues of VG&CE. I started with the third issue, and stopped very close to the end. I remember it being a little different the last few issues, so that's probably why I stopped. Loved the mag though, and still have them.

Very cool article! It was really interesting to read, and once again reminded me that at some point I should swap out my Model 2 Genesis for a Model 1 with a Power Base Converter so I can start playing Sega Master System games too. There are more than enough Genesis games to keep me busy for a good long time, but it would be fun to check out some of Sega's 8-bit offerings too.

I started with the second issue of VG&CE all the way until the end. VG&CE was amazing, however I really disliked when they became VideoGames in September 1993. The quality of everything included the writing simply tanked.

I never owned a Model 2 Genesis. I had the first Model 1 "Altered Beast version" and the second Model 1 "Sonic version" -- IIRC the second Model 1 had a security lock-out chip which had the license screen when firing up a game.. But what I really wish I had owned was the first model Sega CD, the front loader. I had the top loader.

Edited by Parallax Scroll