IGNORED

Proline Controller/Joystick Question

87atari7800

This is my first post...

I have two proline controllers/joysticks for the Atari 7800. They seem to work fine. The only issue I have with them is in the maze games like Jr. Pac Man (2600 edition) and Pac-Man (2600 edition). It seems hard to make a quick left or right turn. Is it the controllers?

I am using a 7800 with an RCA cable attached to a co-axial adapter. I am using it on a 50" flat screen.

Just would like some input if it is the games, the controllers, or functioning as designed. Thanks everyone.

Not the greatest controllers, but I bet your real problem is the imposed input delay due to signal processing (screen lag) on your TV. Try switching your flatscreen to 'Game Mode' if it has one. That'll help cut down on the delay, but you're always best off playing older game systems like this on CRT's for that and other reasons…

This is my first post...

I have two proline controllers/joysticks for the Atari 7800. They seem to work fine. The only issue I have with them is in the maze games like Jr. Pac Man (2600 edition) and Pac-Man (2600 edition). It seems hard to make a quick left or right turn. Is it the controllers?

I am using a 7800 with an RCA cable attached to a co-axial adapter. I am using it on a 50" flat screen.

Just would like some input if it is the games, the controllers, or functioning as designed. Thanks everyone.

Possibly an issue with the controllers also probable screen lag perhaps throwing off your timing perception for those turns.

I too, would play on a standard TV set and see if that helps. For the 2600 games on your 7800, you can use a sega genesis controller. This only works with games that use one button, but It works well with most 2600 games and some 7800 games.

Welcome here :)

Use a good-ol CX-40 for your maze type games. The Proline controllers are far to sloppy internally. They work ok in the early stages of a game. Once the action heats up and the ghosts are hot on Ms. Pac-man's heels - as they say on New York, "forget about it!"

• Like 1

I too, would play on a standard TV set and see if that helps. For the 2600 games on your 7800, you can use a sega genesis controller. This only works with games that use one button, but It works well with most 2600 games and some 7800 games.

Welcome here :)

Edladdin sells a Sega Genesis controller adapter for the 7800 so you can use a second fire button on the games that require it.

how are the 7800 joypads?

They are terrible. Imagine NES or SMS pads in shape, just much cheaper built.

You are much, much better off using a Genesis Controller. The 7800 pads are really like bad 3rd party controllers from China.

Edited by 108 Stars

You are much, much better off using a Genesis Controller. The 7800 pads are really like bad 3rd party controllers from China.

I second this. To me, the Atari controllers released between the 2600 ones and the Jaguar Pro Controller are all crap.

This. Prolines and Euro pads are both junk. That's why I built my own:

16441775328_9c87053299_z_d.jpg

There are also tutorials on line to mod an existing NES controller for use with a 7800. Mine came out very nice:

16421645617_f50a96caf4_z_d.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever