IGNORED

Amiga 500 doesnt wanna work :\

Iwantgames:)

So I hooked it up and the caps lock lights up and external drive light comes on but thats it. opened it up and looks like the power LED is cracked and theres a wire thats not hooked to anything on one end but idk where its supposed to go?

the internal disk drive works now, guess the cord came loose in shipping, so now that drives light comes on and when you put disk in it trying to access it but still nothing on screen

Edited by Iwantgames:)

So I hooked it up and the caps lock lights up and external drive light comes on but thats it. opened it up and looks like the power LED is cracked and theres a wire thats not hooked to anything on one end but idk where its supposed to go?

the internal disk drive works now, guess the cord came loose in shipping, so now that drives light comes on and when you put disk in it trying to access it but still nothing on screen

Does the screen display a certain color? Or does the keyboard light flash? The Amiga will provide you with some troubleshooting clues:

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/selftest.html

Ok all I have is workbench 1.2 & 2.04 disks guess I gotta try find a disk online and see if I can get my floppy emulator to work :P

I should clarify, most games will just boot on their own, you don't need Workbench. Also, you should be able to boot 1.2 Workbench, just not that 2.x since you don't have a 2.x Kickstart ROM.

If you can't get the WB 1.2 disk to boot or maybe a game disk, then I suspect something else is wrong. Unless of course it's just that those disks you have are bad.

When I first got my Amiga 500 (it was tested working before I bought it) I didn't have any Workbench floppies or games. I used an HxC floppy emulator to boot from and then create a real floppy with an external drive.

I just plugged up my HxC where the internal drive goes and downloaded an ADF (converting it to HxC format of course) of Workbench and put it on my SD card. I already had an HxC though because I used it with my TRS-80.

I'm sure there are other ways to get going too.

... theres a wire thats not hooked to anything on one end but idk where its supposed to go?

Is this wire coming from the keyboard? There is a ground wire that goes from the keyboard to a screw located on the floppy drive. It's a braided silver color wire.

Maybe more of a description of this wire you are talking about will help.

Well I tried 2 games, both get to where i need to press fire to proceed. pressing every key there is gets me no where

A bad CIA perhaps? There are 2, one of them is for the keyboard and joystick. Maybe swap them around and try again? Not sure if they are socketed or not.