IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

Hey... I've seen the same problem asked a few times, but never answered over the years.  Hoping I'm missing something.

I restored an old cocktail arcade cabinet and all is perfect except with coolcv, my horizontal joystick axis is flipped (up/down is fine).  Because it's an axis and not a button, there's only one value to edit in coolcv_mapping.txt (see below) so I'm at a loss.  When I hit F7 for input Left shows 'joy0 axis1 32767', and Right is 'joy0 axis1 -32768' but entering those values for "left_1" or "right_1" doesn't work (and gets overwritten as 'key0' on saving).  I even tried putting a negative sign in front of "axis1" to no avail.  Any help on this would be hugely appreciated... missing my Pepper II and Burger Time  :(  

joystick_1_vert    joy0    axis0
joystick_1_horiz    joy0    axis1

I suppose you are this guy:

On 2/16/2018 at 1:43 PM, pvgmusic said:

I got this working on my Pi3.

But with the joystick setup I edited coolcv_mapping.txt.

I entered:

joystick_1_vert joy0 axis3
joystick_1_horiz joy0 axis0
joystick_2_vert joy1 axis3
joystick_2_horiz joy1 axis0

Up and down are ok
Left and right are swapped??

How can i fix this?

Greetings,

Pat

On 6/16/2020 at 7:34 PM, Siskel said:

Hey... I've seen the same problem asked a few times, but never answered over the years.  Hoping I'm missing something.

I restored an old cocktail arcade cabinet and all is perfect except with coolcv, my horizontal joystick axis is flipped (up/down is fine).  Because it's an axis and not a button, there's only one value to edit in coolcv_mapping.txt (see below) so I'm at a loss.  When I hit F7 for input Left shows 'joy0 axis1 32767', and Right is 'joy0 axis1 -32768' but entering those values for "left_1" or "right_1" doesn't work (and gets overwritten as 'key0' on saving).  I even tried putting a negative sign in front of "axis1" to no avail.  Any help on this would be hugely appreciated... missing my Pepper II and Burger Time  :(  

joystick_1_vert    joy0    axis0
joystick_1_horiz    joy0    axis1

I've added a "neg" setting to the "joystick_1_vert" and "joystick_1_horiz" lines, so you now can reverse directions, run CoolCV v0.6.8 one time (download at top), then just change the zero to one in "neg", and you should be running :)

BTW, sorry for taking so long. ?

Edit: BTW2, OH MY! Currently I'm unable to compile the Pi version.

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 11:18 PM, nanochess said:

I suppose you are this guy:

I've added a "neg" setting to the "joystick_1_vert" and "joystick_1_horiz" lines, so you now can reverse directions, run CoolCV v0.6.8 one time (download at top), then just change the zero to one in "neg", and you should be running :)

BTW, sorry for taking so long. ?

Edit: BTW2, OH MY! Currently I'm unable to compile the Pi version.

Oh no!... Need the pi version but so-super appreciate the quick-effort!!!  I'll check back for when you work it out.  (Also... I'm not the other guy... just started this project a few weeks ago!)

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

I've been using coolcv for a while on my retropie box and its just fantastic! Over the weekend i upgraded to a Pi4 and I don't see it available for install. I'm assuming that its not compatible yet with the Pi4?

That might be a better question to ask on the retropie forum since they are responsible for what is in their releases

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/category/8/help-and-support

Oscar, I love your work and CoolCV is an absolutely brilliant emulator. It works like a charm with retropie on my Raspberry Pi 2. However... I also recently upgraded to a Pi 4, and the lr-bluemsx emulator is a disappointment. It won't open zipped files, or sgm games. I managed to get CoolCV running outside of Retropie with TwisterOS and its awesome BoxX86 wrapper program, but it runs slowly. I also managed to compile ColEm and get it running outside of RetroPie, but it also won't open zipped files or use gamepads.

If you have the time in the near future, can you please try to re-compile CoolCV for the Pi 4, and get it included in an upcoming version of Retropie?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EmuDan said:

Oscar, I love your work and CoolCV is an absolutely brilliant emulator. It works like a charm with retropie on my Raspberry Pi 2. However... I also recently upgraded to a Pi 4, and the lr-bluemsx emulator is a disappointment. It won't open zipped files, or sgm games. I managed to get CoolCV running outside of Retropie with TwisterOS and its awesome BoxX86 wrapper program, but it runs slowly. I also managed to compile ColEm and get it running outside of RetroPie, but it also won't open zipped files or use gamepads.

If you have the time in the near future, can you please try to re-compile CoolCV for the Pi 4, and get it included in an upcoming version of Retropie?

Last time I felt obliged because someone donated a Pi 2.

I'll wait a little before ordering the Pi 4.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I just noticed something about the Windows version of CoolCV (version 0.6.8, but it applies to previous versions also): When you pause the emulation with F3, you cannot snap a screenshot with F10. Trying to snap precise screenshots on the fly while playing is not exactly fun...  ;) 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 5:18 PM, Pixelboy said:

I just noticed something about the Windows version of CoolCV (version 0.6.8, but it applies to previous versions also): When you pause the emulation with F3, you cannot snap a screenshot with F10. Trying to snap precise screenshots on the fly while playing is not exactly fun...  ;) 

Thanks for reporting it!

Just updated CoolCV to v0.6.9 to correct this. (find it in the first post)

Also now includes my Zombie Near game. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2020 at 5:38 PM, nanochess said:

Also now includes my Zombie Near game. :)

Is that an earlier or expanded version of that released by CollectorVision.  I've noticed that the cart release is only 32KB while the rom you've bundled with CoolCV is 128KB.  The copyright dates, intro/title sequences and graphics are also different to the cart release.

1 hour ago, Ikrananka said:

Is that an earlier or expanded version of that released by CollectorVision.  I've noticed that the cart release is only 32KB while the rom you've bundled with CoolCV is 128KB.  The copyright dates, intro/title sequences and graphics are also different to the cart release.

It is the expanded version never published in physical format. If you leave it in the title screen for a few seconds then you'll see an intro. It is more difficult because in each game the keys are in a different place.

13 hours ago, nanochess said:

It is the expanded version never published in physical format. If you leave it in the title screen for a few seconds then you'll see an intro. It is more difficult because in each game the keys are in a different place.

Wow - very cool - thanks for sharing this version.  Is the map different or larger?

6 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Wow - very cool - thanks for sharing this version.  Is the map different or larger?

Forgot it, this version has one extra map for a total of 4 maps, and each map is 10x10 size. Also the player walks faster in order to ease exploration.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nanochess said:

No idea of how to program Vita. Yet.

Are all the emulators on there specifically made for the Vita? I wish I could find a good cheap windows 10 handheld that wasn't $700, even if it had no keyboard. The Android ones are not half that, but Android is like the poor man's Windows when it comes to emulators.