IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

Great work! Raspberry pi seems to work well except I can't figure out how to quit the game once it's running. :) I tried ctrl-q, alt-q, win-q, as well as lots of other combinations and nothing got me out and I had to yank the power.

Ctrl-Escape :) I forgot to document it.

• 2 weeks later...

Your emulator is very... cool nanochess! :)

Congratulations for making it!

Mugrat for Mac OS was very old and not accurate for some games.

I have a little question: how to access the keypad buttons for player 1 with a portable computer (macbook)? There is no keypad on it. Is it possible to configure differently?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Your emulator is very... cool nanochess! :)

Congratulations for making it!

Mugrat for Mac OS was very old and not accurate for some games.

I have a little question: how to access the keypad buttons for player 1 with a portable computer (macbook)? There is no keypad on it. Is it possible to configure differently?

Thanks!

From the manual:

Controller 1 supported, mapping is:

Arrow keys = directions
   Space = Left button
   M = Right button

0-9 = Keypad buttons
   O = Asterisk key
   P = # key

Controller 2 supported, mapping is:

W-A-S-D = directions
   Tab = Left button
   Q = Right button

R T Y  =  1 2 3
   F G H  =  4 5 6
   V B N  =  7 8 9
   J K L  =  * 0 #

Still no way to configure keys.

Still no way to configure keys.

I would say this would still be high on my "wish list" at least for the fire buttons. I've probably logged at least 100 hours playing with CoolCV now and I love it! My only request (and it's only a minor one since I've gotten used to it) is that Space & M for the fire keys is a little awkward since the two keys are on top of each other (at least on my keyboard) so it feels a little unnatural.

Weird. I'm running Yosemite too and it works just fine. Here's my system...

Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 16.56.22.png

I just tested it again. Loaded up Donkey Kong and when the blue screen came up, pressed "1" and it worked just fine. Since it was developed on OSX first and no one else has mentioned this being a problem that I'm aware of (maybe Oscar has heard this problem from someone else?) I'm assuming it's got to be something on your end?

Thank you for the info but, on my Macbook (under Yosemite) it doesn't work... I have tried with more than one game.

I'm surprised :?

Please try the keyboard letters for keypad of player 2.

Maybe you've an old version of CoolCV, try to update to v0.5.3

Weird. I'm running Yosemite too and it works just fine. Here's my system...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-09-21 at 16.56.22.png

I just tested it again. Loaded up Donkey Kong and when the blue screen came up, pressed "1" and it worked just fine. Since it was developed on OSX first and no one else has mentioned this being a problem that I'm aware of (maybe Oscar has heard this problem from someone else?) I'm assuming it's got to be something on your end?

Thanks for testing!

I don't have updated to Yosemite because I've seen it's pretty slower on my Macbook model.

• Like 1

I don't have updated to Yosemite because I've seen it's pretty slower on my Macbook model.

Just a quick O/T reply to this; I would recommend backing up all your data to an external hard drive and doing a clean install. There are instructions out there on how to make Mavericks, Yosemite, and the upcoming El Capitan (out in 9 days btw) bootable from a USB drive. I have an 8GB bootable USB drive that I used to clean install Yosemite on my 2012 2.5 Ghz MacBook with 8 GB RAM, and it flies. A clean install will always be the optimal way to install your OS. :)

So happy that a talented developer like yourself is a Mac fan!

• Like 2

Just a quick O/T reply to this; I would recommend backing up all your data to an external hard drive and doing a clean install. There are instructions out there on how to make Mavericks, Yosemite, and the upcoming El Capitan (out in 9 days btw) bootable from a USB drive. I have an 8GB bootable USB drive that I used to clean install Yosemite on my 2012 2.5 Ghz MacBook with 8 GB RAM, and it flies. A clean install will always be the optimal way to install your OS. :)

So happy that a talented developer like yourself is a Mac fan!

Thanks for the tip! :)

So, with 0.5.3 version, letters for player-2 works fine. So I can select a one player game.

But, the numbers are not working (on a macbook pro retina under yosemite 10.10.5).

And, with some one player only game (like homebrew), it is impossible to use the letters from player-2. So, impossible to start a game.

But, CoolCV is a great emulator and very useful. Perhaps, Oscar, can you fix that and program the numbers with Shift and not the keypad?

It is just an idea! :)

So, with 0.5.3 version, letters for player-2 works fine. So I can select a one player game.

But, the numbers are not working (on a macbook pro retina under yosemite 10.10.5).

I upgraded just now to 10.10.5 and using 0.5.3 the number keys are working just fine for me on my MacBookPro. See the images.

Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.57.32.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 13.00.07.png

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

So either your keyboard is configured differently or something must be happening on your end. I'm not doing anything special at all. The blue screen comes up, I press the #1 key (or any other number key) and it works just fine.

Can you make screenshots with your keyboard configuration please? Perhaps it could help me.

Thanks!

You bet! It's a standard US Macbook Pro layout. What is yours? Maybe that's the issue that CoolCV just doesn't support all international keyboard layouts?

12029217_10156118089560370_1883377995_n.jpg

Yes, I have a French keyboard because I'm French! ;)

Ahh, so looks like Oscar might have to do some localization at some point for different international keyboards, then! ;)

As far as I know, the number 1 is in same place in any keyboard!

Hey RayXamber, can you tell me what buttons are working, use the Nuvatec controller test, you can find it in the net.

Now controllers mappings in keyboard can be changed. CoolCV v0.5.4 will create a file Documents/coolcv_mapping.txt that can be edited.

You should run the emulator one time in order to create the mapping file. Then inside the emulator use Fn+F7 to show the codes for each key or joystick button (you press the buttons and a code appears)

The code then can be edited into the coolcv_mapping.txt file.

You can have two codes at same time, for example, one for keyboard and another for joystick, like this:

left_button_1   key32   joy0_0

The key* and joy* code are taken from the values reported enabling code reporting with Fn+F7 inside emulator.

This should help TPR to change the controller buttons to something better for his hands and RayXamber to configure the emulator for his French keyboard ;)

Also added support for Super Action Controller, though the buttons 3 and 4 aren't mapped and you should edit coolcv_mapping.txt

Enjoy it! :)

P.S: As always, the manual has a small text saying how to show your appreciation :grin:

• Like 4