IGNORED

Your Jaguar system seller

Atlantis

What game/games got you into game on and collect for the Jaguar?

For me (next to moving from 15 years of Neo Geo AES to yet another obscure 90s cartridge console) was the game Brutal sports football, which I loved on my Amiga back in the days. Just being able to play it fast and furious with a friend on a console with pads got me into this. Got the game before I got the Jaguar actually.

Next to that, or next step was the sensation around AvP, which was my second game. A game that sure did press the hardware as I see it. Wanted to see/play what the fuzz was about. Two games that sold the system to me. That's how it started waayy back in January 2015.

What's your story?

I got my first Jaguar in 1999. I was motivated to get it mainly because it was an Atari system. I had heard of it while it was still being sold and supported by Atari, but I was too young at the time to buy one of my own, or even to go to a store to see one in person. By 1999, I knew that Atari was dead and that the Jaguar was being liquidated for pennies on the dollar, so I figured it was a good time to acquire one. (Considering how much Jaguar prices have skyrocketed since then, it seems I was right!)

My first Jaguar console came from B&C ComputerVisions, and most of the games and accessories from GoAtari. Since the Jaguar was an Atari system, the first games that I looked at were the updates to classic arcade games, so Tempest 2000 and Missile Command 3D were the first Jaguar games that really grabbed me. I had played some of the MechWarrior games on the PC, so I enjoyed Iron Soldier right away, and Wolfenstein 3D and Doom also became quick favorites. A bit later, I added Zoop, Raiden, Pitfall: Mayan Adventure, and most of the Jaguar exclusives that are now considered "classics" (Alien vs. Predator, Atari Karts, Iron Soldier II, Breakout 2000, etc). These were the games that defined the Jaguar for me, and they're all still in my regular rotation, and now my nephews like playing them, too.

I've said in the past that about 25% of the games in the Jaguar library are "great to good", 30% are "average", and 45% are "mediocre to awful". Different people will draw those lines in different places, but I still think it's a roughly accurate assessment. Even though the really good games are few and far between, there are still enough of them to make the system worth owning for me. However, I was fortunate enough to be able to pick and choose from among the best games and to build my collection before the Jaguar became hideously expensive; at today's prices, I'd be much more hesitant to recommend it, unless there's some Jaguar-exclusive game that you really need to play on the original hardware.

in gradeschool a friend got AVP for the PC, and before he went home we tried to install it on my computer. It barely ran but I found out it was on the Jaguar too and so I got a Jaguar :lol:

it was when bits still mattered (had a PSX and knew some people with N64's) and a 64-bit system I hadn't heard of baffled me. I got it with Wolfenstein 3D, Club Drive, Kasumi Ninja, Raiden, AVP and Trevor McFur for christmas (AVP and a bunch of cheapies from B&C).

As bad as the games were (Club Drive, Kasumi Ninja, Trevor McFur) they were the kind of games that looked really cool until you played them. At least Atari kind of knew what people wanted, their execution just sucked.

It was just the Atari name. My parents bought it for me for my birthday when it was first released in 1993 in San Francisco. They were still living there back then, but I'd moved to Chicagoland, so they bought it for me and shipped it to me. That birthday was like being a kid again -- a new Atari!

BITD when the Jaguar was announced, i always had interest on it, being a 64-bit console, and by Atari. But what really sold it to me were the first screenshots of Aliens VS Predator. We already had seen an AVP game on SNES, in the form of an uninspired brawler. In comparison, the Jaguar game looked...well... 64-bit. Even compared to Doom, AVP looked photorealistic... i was floored.

Now, gameplay-wise, the game that sold it to me, was Tempest 2000. For a while, my only games on it were Bubsy, Ultra Vortek, Iron Soldier (great game, just no my style), AVP (good but not my style), Cybermorph. Some good titles, but nothing that addicted me to it, then i got Tempest 2000 and then, i really started loving my Jaguar.

What game/games got you into game on and collect for the Jaguar?

I know I have posted it before in other threads, but for me it was a single game that got it started for me. About 6 years ago, I really wanted to play NBA Jam. I had played the Genesis version a lot when I was younger, but decided to do some research on other versions before going out and purchasing a Genesis. That research led me in the direction of the Jaguar version being the best and closest to the arcade version, so I immediately ordered a Jaguar and NBA Jam. I had never owned an Atari system and had never even seen a Jaguar or played a single Jaguar game prior to that, but here we are 6 years later and I now own CIB versions of virtually every Jaguar and Jaguar CD game ever released. All because of NBA Jam...

• Like 3

I have bought and sold numerous Jags throughout the years, but never again, theres something about this system I love.

Even though my first personal game system was an nes in 1987 or so, I played pitfall, Combat, and Yars revenge on my neighbors 2600 and never forgot those games.

I have a soft spot for newer, and usually dud systems. I bought the Jag day one, hoping to support an American company and help an iconic game company get back on their feet.

I was more than happy with my Snes and Genesis, but I felt that the Jaguar looked cool (base unit) and had untapped potential. I always felt that it was some diamond in the rough waiting to be exposed, but sadly the support at the time it was needed simply wasn't there.

I still buy up any new Jag/Jag CD release, but can't help but wonder what a Jag CD game would have been like with a big developer with full backing producing it.

That's the intrigue to me, even though I don't expect ps1 style quality from the machine, I never felt it was utilized fully, even to this day.

Long live the Jag (and Lynx and 2600!)

• Like 1

Really... I was never really a fan of it. I graduated high school in the mid 90s, and when I had just graduated, Atari had basically cancelled the Jaguar. All of the stores had an insane stock of Jaguar games that no one wanted. Systems for $25 new in the box, games new in the box for $5 or $7 depending on how good they were.. CD games were more.

So I bought one or two of everything. I went in there with $200 bucks... and basically bought every game. I think I got AVP for $5 bucks... Wolfenstein, Doom, you name it... all dirt cheap and brand new. I even bought like 2 or 3 Jaguar systems in the box.

Atari had basically cancelled the Jaguar. All of the stores had an insane stock of Jaguar games that no one wanted. Systems for $25 new in the box, games new in the box for $5 or $7 depending on how good they were.. CD games were more.

So I bought one or two of everything. I went in there with $200 bucks... and basically bought every game. I think I got AVP for $5 bucks... Wolfenstein, Doom, you name it... all dirt cheap and brand new. I even bought like 2 or 3 Jaguar systems in the box.

Wish that kind of stuff happened around here. None of the stores that I've ever been to have done deep discounts at the end of a systems life, save for our local Meijer who put the Virtua Boy down to $15 at the very end. Our local K-Mart, Walmart, Meijer .etc were still listing Saturn games at $50 into 1998 and K-Mart was still trying to get like $20 per Saturn game even when they shut down a few stores around here (around 2001). I always kind of wondered what happened to those unsold stock when I was a kid... whether they sent them back to the publishers or what :P I have to say I NEVER saw a Jaguar in a retail store despite scoping out the display cases for the latest SNES games around that time.

• Like 1

Wish that kind of stuff happened around here. None of the stores that I've ever been to have done deep discounts at the end of a systems life, save for our local Meijer who put the Virtua Boy down to $15 at the very end. Our local K-Mart, Walmart, Meijer .etc were still listing Saturn games at $50 into 1998 and K-Mart was still trying to get like $20 per Saturn game even when they shut down a few stores around here (around 2001). I always kind of wondered what happened to those unsold stock when I was a kid... whether they sent them back to the publishers or what :P I have to say I NEVER saw a Jaguar in a retail store despite scoping out the display cases for the latest SNES games around that time.

Yeah, I don't know if they're still around, but there were two stores in particular...

KayBee Toys, and Electronics Boutique. There was also another toy store which had just been purchased by KayBee Toys... and all three of them had Jaguars. I went to all three and bought one or two of each game that I could. I think I got close to 70% of all the Jaguar games that were available at that time, through those 1-2 days.

I was into Atari and in the early 90's I was gaming on the ST, Lynx and was a fan of Atari Games in the arcade, so getting a Jaguar was more a progression of being a fan of Atari in general, instead of just one game.

The one game that looked the best and I though had the most killer app/system seller potential was Alien vs Predator. AVP was the game that I was looking forward to the most on the Jaguar.

I was not allowed to have video games at home, so I played at my friends houses. For me Video games was only either Nintendo or Sega, never heard about ATARI, I heard a bit about Amstrad on a TV-ad but did not get the what it was about (I was a bit stupid at that time).

One of my friend was really spoiled by his parents, he almost got every system available in France (NES, SNES, N64, Amiga CD32, Philips CD-I, no Sega though but he could have iof he asked for it) And I discovered the ATARI JAGUAR at his house, I felt in love with the system.

We played together for hours (Cybermorph, AVP, Iron Soldier, Val d'Isère, etc...). I remember playing with him AVP it was Winter a really dark day, .... No enemies since 20 minutes at least... Then the phone rang .... Almost got an heart-attack :skull:

I finally got my Atari Jaguar for Christmas 1996, and It never left me since...

But I that time I my English was really poor.... Go ahead play AVP in Chinese without having any clue about the intels given on screen .... But although thank to the Jaguar it I improved my English skills. I remember taking my English lessons, my English lexicon and translated in French all the instruction of Theme Park...

I remember playing Kasumi Ninja with a Friend from 2pm until 2AM in order to discover all secret moves (which we did),

I remember playing countless of hours at Theme Park (which remains my favorite version of all).

I also discover how huge and rich the video-game world was.

The Atari Jaguar made me really into a video game freak at the hospitality school and at business school all my argumentation during marketing and sales courses where based on Video games)...

I also try to write a fanzine which I only made 4 issue based on the Atari machines (still got to finish the Iron soldier special)... I also tried to run a school magazine during Hospitality school and I wrote an article about ... The Dreamcast which just came out in Europe. Piou Piou Magazine was the name of the paper.... I also made a presentation of the Atari Jaguar to my hole class at that time.... :D

I met the guy of the RGC and we started in September 2002 to do the Jaguar Connexion, 7 Atari freaks in the leaving of my parents country house... Now the RGC is a 250 persons convention, and we have edited Another Word on Jaguar....

Now I old (almost 35...) My girl friend says I'm old and I how more than 50 video games systems and more than 1000 games.... I have a unexplainable love to all the misfortuned systems (ATARI Jaguar, Philips CD-I, Amiga CD32, Gizmondo which I want to get full-sets)....

Do you think I'm lost forever ... Due to the ATARI Jaguar ? :?

• Like 3

But I that time I my English was really poor.... Go ahead play AVP in Chinese without having any clue about the intels given on screen .... But although thank to the Jaguar it I improved my English skills. I remember taking my English lessons, my English lexicon and translated in French all the instruction of Theme Park...

I remember playing Kasumi Ninja with a Friend from 2pm until 2AM in order to discover all secret moves (which we did),

I remember playing countless of hours at Theme Park (which remains my favorite version of all).

Hah! That is awesome. You've discovered a new form of Rosetta Stone... the video game! I think I'm going to try to play my games in French if I can... that way I can say things other than profanity, inviting someone over for naughty-time or asking for a three-some.

Me and my roommates where huge gamers, so we got the Jag in 96 or 97 I got most of the original run of games,Raiden, Iron Soldier, A vs P, Doom, Wolf 3-D, Cybermorph came with the system and one of my roomates was addicted to it, we where hue Kasumi Ninja fans and got the original with the free headband, then Power Drive Rally, and Super Burnout, by this point Jaguar had took a few months off from releasing games, every other game we bought was awful Checkered Flag, Dino Dudes, Double Dragon 5, at this point we got a 3DO, the PS1 came out and had Zoop, Theme Park, and Rayman, all of witch were better on the Jag.

Of course once Tekken and Demolition Derby....and we all ended up at different places I got 1/2 the games and bought a new Jag but again at this point Jag was dead and hard to find, 10 years ago at a local gamestore a Jag popped up with JagCD and a ton of games got them all for under $100, as the place charged the same for all Atari games $3 a piece CD system was like 50 jag was 30.

great deal.

now I have most of the 1st run games except Atari Karts and Defender 2000, Telegames titles, and Songbird games.

I do think age has helped most of the 16 bit looking games DDV and Dragon are not as disappointing, where as Iron Soldier and AvsP seem to run at a slower pace.

I also agree jag has about 30 percent good games/30 percent OK game/30 percent bad games/10 percent awful to unplayable

Oh I forgot the game that made me want the Jag from screen shots alone was Cresent Galaxy, beautiful looking game, to bad the gameplay is not their.

Edited by Pete5125