IGNORED

The Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast

Shinto

Bought every single Jaguar release as they were made available back then and Dino Dudes was no exception. Always liked the game for what it is. Shared an apartment with a friend at the time, so had my 20" TV and Jaguar system in my bedroom. Remember thinking it was kinda "cool" playing an Amiga game (The Humans) while sitting or laying in bed. lol

Got pretty far (never completed it though) as I remember, but haven't touched it much since those days to be honest. Besides the puzzles, enjoyed the music/sound effects and colorful backgrounds. Cute theme and variance to what's essentially just a puzzler disguised as an action/platformer game of sorts. I'd give it a solid rating. :)

Looking for the ability to right click and DL to my PC. Am I missing the DL link to "save target as"?

Looking here: http://atarijaguargamebygame.libsyn.com/

Thanks!

Hey, Jagosaurus.

From that page, look for the link that says "Download this Episode" at the very bottom of each episode. That's the direct link to the MP3 file, which you can right-click and "Save target as...".

Hey, Jagosaurus.

From that page, look for the link that says "Download this Episode" at the very bottom of each episode. That's the direct link to the MP3 file, which you can right-click and "Save target as...".

Not sure I missed that! On my phone now but will DL tomorrow. Always looking for more podcast for my work commute. Looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Great job. I listed the first 5 episodes during my work commute this week. I typically break out the Jag for Super Burnout, Raiden, and Tempest these days but your Cybermorph talk has me wanting to dig into some early polygon games again :] will be breaking out Cybermorph and Iron Soldier this weekend. I've been looking at picking up Hover Strike and I-War lately as I've never played either. To me, those early 3D games have their own charm.

Hm, I seem to remember seeing a schedule of episode releases but can't seem to locate it now. Link? Thanks! Looking forward to future episodes.

I'm glad you like the show! You can find the episode guide on the blog.

Thanks. Looking forward to learning more about the history behind Dino Dudes.

I got stuck about 2/3 of the way through. Need to revisit it. The levels get tough & require well planned timing as you get further. Overall, I'd give this a "solid" rating & recommend it although it doesn't push the Jag's hardware :)

Episode 6 for Evolution: Dino Dudes is now online. I moved the show notes out of the episode metadata and over to the blog entry for the episode. It didn't make a great deal of sense to have it in both places, so we'll see how this works out.

Coming up next episode: Checkered Flag! Love it? Hate it? In between? Off the scale? I'd like to know what you think! Please post here, PM me, or e-mail a text or audio submission to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com by next Thursday, November 19th to guarantee inclusion in the show. Please also include a rating on the No-Swear Gamer scale:

1. "Hall of Fame" (top 5 on the Jaguar)
  2. "Solid" (Great game, though not in the top 5)
  3. "Meh" (OK game, maybe not terrible, but doesn't really do it for you)
  4. "Trash" (bottom 5 on the Jaguar)

Thank you all for listening, and I hope you enjoy the Dino Dudes episode.

• Like 1

Checkered Flag I would have to put in the "trash" category even though I like the look of it and the music and track layouts and once in a while derive some fun from it in spite of control and game play being trash.

I think fairly Checked Flag should be opened, have the chip replaced with the control patched version CJ made a few years back and THEN determine if the game is trash or not. :D

But yeh, it was half backed originally.

While I still have the original game PCB that I occasionally plug into the Jag, I salvaged the cart case for use with my Skunkboard. :grin:

And the control patch still doesn't help the pretty much total lack of A.I. in the cars you race.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Was hoping the Dino Dudes ep. was rife with game music, & you didnt disappoint! Also LOVE that dinosaur roar!

I think I'll keep ALL the eps. As long as my ipod has at least 3 episodes of a given podcast, it plays them back-to-back-to-back (albeit not in order). that way when I have bad days/weeks like this one, I'll have one long Shinto-thon to cheer me up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 7 for Checkered Flag is now online! Download it from here or check out the full show notes on the blog.

The next episode will be on Alien vs Predator. I'm planning on a three-week cycle to put this episode together, so please have any feedback in by December 10th, be it text/audio to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com, or just a post here.

Thank you all for listening, and for contributing to the show.

I'm going to start AvP (not to be mistaken in any way by Attack of the Mutant Penguins) off by saying I actually bought the cartridge not knowing what it was. In 1999 I bought AvP and a second Jaguar for a great discount price at a local pawn shop.

I had played the side scroller of AvP in the arcade and I thought "Well cool, don't have many games for the Jaguar but at least this will get me a good action game." I plugged it in, turned it on, selected the Predator, and saw a screen that looked like a hallway and mechanical sounds. Not much going on initially. I think I was almost wondering if the game had really started. I pushed the button and a arm jetted forward with a spike on it with a stabbing sound. Not all that impressed I actually turned the game off and went back to playing Bubsy and Tempest 2000 some more.

Over time I loved the Predator part of the game. The honor based system was very much like the Klingons from Star Trek. Fight while uncloaked, get honor points to get new weapons. When I saw the first AvP movie I was so disappointed that the Predators did not use this code.

After playing Doom I came to like the Marine part of the game. What starts as the weakest race by the end of the game is one the deadliest of species.

It always struck me as odd that in the Predator version of the game the humans and Aliens would fight you side by side. Also hate that the game save does not record the enemies you already killed. To that end I would leave my Jaguar on for days for a complete game so that information was not lost.

Aside from those two aspects, a GREAT must have game for the Jaguar.

Edited by doctorclu

• 3 weeks later...

I wocke up this morning already enjoying myself listening the Jaguar Game by Game podcast on Alien Verus Predator... and was quite disappointed it was not yet released... :_(

I just hope my contyribution did not delayed the episode :?

I also hope it be available soon cause your show is awesome :thumbsup:

I wocke up this morning already enjoying myself listening the Jaguar Game by Game podcast on Alien Verus Predator... and was quite disappointed it was not yet released... :_(

I just hope my contyribution did not delayed the episode :?

I also hope it be available soon cause your show is awesome :thumbsup:

I have been preparing for this episode for the last three weeks, but the part-time prep work was not enough. I took Friday off from my day job to try to finish up, but also needed much of Saturday to get everything in order so that I could record on Sunday. I talked myself hoarse, but got it recorded. The editing process I hope to have complete within the next few days.

I apologize for the delay; it's not the result of your (awesome) contributions, but more the massive task of covering Alien vs Predator in a level of detail that I'm happy with. The show is currently looking like it'll run close to two hours in length (!) and I hope you will find it worth the wait.

• Like 1

I have been preparing for this episode for the last three weeks, but the part-time prep work was not enough. I took Friday off from my day job to try to finish up, but also needed much of Saturday to get everything in order so that I could record on Sunday. I talked myself hoarse, but got it recorded. The editing process I hope to have complete within the next few days.

I apologize for the delay; it's not the result of your (awesome) contributions, but more the massive task of covering Alien vs Predator in a level of detail that I'm happy with. The show is currently looking like it'll run close to two hours in length (!) and I hope you will find it worth the wait.

Two hours... Whao nice. Can't wait to listen to it :D

Episode 8 for Alien vs Predator is out. Check out the show notes or skip to the direct link. Hopefully, iTunes and Stitcher will pick it up shortly.

Thank you to all who contributed; this episode is by far my biggest game-specific show to date, and its final cut did clock in at just under two hours. I hope you enjoy it!

• Like 3

Next is Tempest 2000:

I believe Tempest 2000 is the third game I owned. To some Jaguar owners for years it was THE reason to get the Atari Jaguar. Picked up the Jaguar with Cybermorph, then Bubsy, and then I believe I bought a Jaguar with Tempest 2000 as a part of the deal. The game is naturally awesome. On a family friendly level this was the first game that my friend's kids that I used to hang with ever gave a try. They were overwhelmed by Ghosts and Goblins on the NES, scared by Doom on the PC, and though they enjoyed watching me play Bubsy they would start crying if I handed them the controller to play. But they loved to play the two player game in Tempest 2000 where both play on the screen at the same time. Now those kids live in network games, and it all started with the Jaguar, which they still have at their place.

Now on a more adultish level, I will admit that I really enjoyed the warp level. I used to work to get to the warp as quick as I could. Nothing like hearing that female voice say "Yes yes yes..." Then I would fall out of warp with a misstep and it was back to reality and business as usual. I remember feeling a bit let down when that happened.

The sound track was as equally good as the game. At one point I got ahold of the mod files and used warp level music for good dungeon crawl music in a NetHack game I had on my Newton 2000. Just a simple game and a modplayer looping that song and it improved the mood gameplay tremendously.

Overall I think Tempest 2000 in it's execution and smooth use of resources is one of the timeless games on the Atari Jaguar. And what really impressed me was how rotary controller code was built into the game and Atari didn't even have a rotary controller for the Jaguar. It was like the game was designed with the future in mind.

• Like 1

Great, fun episode as usual. I like that ingame & other SFX are interspersed & well-balanced with the speech. The best part was the short "learning moment" where the Marine's guns were fired for "takedown times" of a Xenomorph. Good to hear show production is being upheld- not that there was ever any doubt.

Just for fun, as a kid I knew about the name "Golgotha" from church. It's the name of the location/site where Jesus was hung on the cross & means "skull place".

doctorclu, on 17 Dec 2015 - 3:20 PM, said:snapback.png

they enjoyed watching me play Bubsy they would start crying if I handed them the controller to play.

:-D

They would. They would watch me all day and I would say "Ok you give a try" and they would say "Noooo... it's too hard." Guess I should be glad we had Tempest 2000 or Bubsy might have scared them from playing games for life. ;)