IGNORED

RespeQt r2 released

Joey Z

Hi all,

I just download the files from github, and compile the project in Ubuntu 14.04 with QT5. I made a small change to begin the task of updating the Spanish language.

regards

do you know that there is a 'proper' way to provide translations through Qt? the whole thing is designed so that it will compile a list of strings for you to provide translations for, and that way you don't have separate versions of the program for each language. Perhaps you already know this, but I just want to make sure.

do you know that there is a 'proper' way to provide translations through Qt? the whole thing is designed so that it will compile a list of strings for you to provide translations for, and that way you don't have separate versions of the program for each language. Perhaps you already know this, but I just want to make sure.

Do not worry I help before the AspeQt since its inception, the correct way to upgrade a language is using Qt Linguist to edit the language you want. In this case it is again ready respeqt_es.ts file, the respeqt_es.qm is generated and recompiled to see the language installed on the program

Then just modify 2 files respeqt_es.ts (source language) and respeqt_es.qm (binary language) that are for the Spanish language.

regards

Edited by ascrnet

Hi all,

Recently I understood why some parts of the menu were not updated language files from the .ts files are out of date will have to make an additional task that is synchronizing them with the .ui interface design files

According to the documents I have to run the following command :

lupdate –noobsolete respeqt.pro

With this all the languages without erasing its contents and delete obsolete text is synchronized (there are several in the .ts files)

regards

Edited by ascrnet

Hi all,

Unfortunately I was right, the language files are completely outdated and trashy.

This was the command that applies to synchronize and clean: lupdate -no-obsolete respeqt.pro -ts i18n/respeqt_es.ts

ascrnet@Inspiron-3443:~/Descargas/RespeQt-r2$ lupdate -no-obsolete respeqt.pro -ts i18n/respeqt_es.ts
Updating 'i18n/respeqt_es.ts'...
    Found 725 source text(s) (78 new and 647 already existing)
    Removed 40 obsolete entries
    Number heuristic provided 13 translation(s)
ascrnet@Inspiron-3443:~/Descargas/RespeQt-r2$

Now I can continue with the translation of the Spanish language.

regards

Edited by ascrnet

• 3 months later...

It works fine on Windows XP SP3 for me.

hi, just tried respeqt on an old thinkpad t23 with windows xp sp2 and all I get is a crash and a report dialog. no other info available. this laptop will likely go away soon anyway so no complainting here, just a report.

Ken

Yes, I suspect the windows version probably requires SP3 on XP, that's been a requirement for many programs that run on XP for quite a few years now.

Here's a link to get SP3: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

After you have installed SP3, then paste the following at a command prompt: REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady /v Installed /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f

(then hit enter)

The above registry entry will cause Windows XP to continue getting Automatic Updates until 2019.

XPUpFix.zip

Edit: you may use the command file in the attached zip if you like to avoid typing or copy/paste errors.

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am a very big fan of DOS XE and think it is a criminally underrated package. Of course, it was primarily released to bring a double-sided, double density capability to the A8 world when the XF551 was released. Within DOS XE one can format and use SS-SD, SS-ED, SS-DD and DS-DD disk types. A little strangely, in order to correctly format one of these the user does not specify the media type but the actual model of disk drive; AT810, AT1010, 'SSDD' and XF551 respectively. Under RespeQT I find I can correctly mount, format and write to all of these types except the XF551/DSDD. When attempting to do so I get the following log messages from RespeQT:

[Disk 2] Get PERCOM block (QD Diskette (360k))." [x3]

[Disk 2] command: $a1, aux: $0005 NAKed." [x4]

Serial port speed set to 57600."

Serial port speed set to 19200."

[Disk 2] command: $a1, aux: $0005 NAKed." [x3]

while DOS-XE reports the following:

ERROR #173 CAN'T INITIALIZE DISK

In the past I have encountered an almost identical failure while trying to do the same thing with the SIO2SD. Talking with several of the chaps about that problem it seems it may be something to do with the XF551 sending control and data messages at different speeds and also not recognizing the specific command codes which DOS XE sends in return to it. I also recall quite a long time ago Altirra did not function properly under exactly the same situation and Avery mentioned it was something to do with not implementing all the unusual PERCOM blocks the DOXEXE/XF551 exchange. Sadly it seems the SIO2SD firmware is no longer being updated, but given the open-source status and active development of the RespeQT project I wonder if a fix can be made?

I can put it on the todo list, but I can't tell you when, if ever, I'll get around to looking into it.

Many thanks Joey Z!!! I think it might be a fairly 'easy' fix that requires adding a couple of command responses, although I have no doubt that is in the real world far more tricky than it sounds.

I always thought that the XF551's high speed mode was 38400, not 57600. That may be related to the problem you're having.

I wondered about that too, but got no dice on any of the standard multipliers or the common POKEY divisor numbers either.

I really do think DOS XE is the best of the Atari DOS family, although I know perhaps four or at most five others agree with me! I think maybe if more people gave it a go in an authentic usage scenario they might come to change their minds. Obviously SDX is the superior software by any measurement, but I enjoy the nostalgia and also the rigour that using the A8 as if it were still 1989 brings. Typing in a BASIC programme from a blurry printed edition of PAGE6 using their 'TYPOIII' checker as you go is... Charming, rewarding, nostolagic - all the things we retro enthusiasts are chasing. If RespeQT could effectively give me an XF551 to play with alongside my physical Happy 1050 that would be extremely cool. Those drives are not at all easy - or cheap at ~£200 from BE - to get hold of in the flesh!!!

I think it might be a fairly 'easy' fix that requires adding a couple of command responses, although I have no doubt that is in the real world far more tricky than it sounds.

If accurate sector timing isn't being tracked in the image, this can just be mapped to $21.

So... quite an easy fix after all then FJC?

Is RespeQT supporting Synchromesh which is XF551 high speed mode (38k)?

I don't think it does lemiel, although Joey z will have the final answer.

It would be very cool if RespeQT, slowly and when possible matured in to a true disk drive emulator - which in many ways it already is. I think that may be the direction things are moving towards with the recent discussion of emulating the 810. Hopefully those drives which do not upload custom code are possible to simulate. I know the Happy for instance requires a cycle-perfect emulation of its custom processor and that is a very tough job to put together. The 810, 1010, and XF551 should be possible though not withstanding quirks like synchromesh - although, once again I absolutely understand none of that is trivial and would require a great deal of hard work to produce.

If at the end of the day we could totally replace many of our physical drives with virtual clones via RespeQT... Wow, that would be a huge score for the A8 community I think!!! It would also be an extremely nice merger of old and modern technology.

I don't think it does lemiel, although Joey z will have the final answer.

It would be very cool if RespeQT, slowly and when possible matured in to a true disk drive emulator - which in many ways it already is. I think that may be the direction things are moving towards with the recent discussion of emulating the 810. Hopefully those drives which do not upload custom code are possible to simulate. I know the Happy for instance requires a cycle-perfect emulation of its custom processor and that is a very tough job to put together. The 810, 1010, and XF551 should be possible though not withstanding quirks like synchromesh - although, once again I absolutely understand none of that is trivial and would require a great deal of hard work to produce.

If at the end of the day we could totally replace many of our physical drives with virtual clones via RespeQT... Wow, that would be a huge score for the A8 community I think!!! It would also be an extremely nice merger of old and modern technology.

yes, I think after we work out other more important stuff, it would be cool to have the ability to choose what type of drive a certain emulated drive is. The point would be to emulate the drive as close as we can to the way it actually acts. It would be a simple matter, in an OO language like C++, to 'swap' emulated drive objects real time. However, writing the drive objects for each drive is a bit more complex, of course.

Again, one of those things that I would like to do, but may never get around to for a long time.

• Like 1

yes, I think after we work out other more important stuff, it would be cool to have the ability to choose what type of drive a certain emulated drive is. The point would be to emulate the drive as close as we can to the way it actually acts. It would be a simple matter, in an OO language like C++, to 'swap' emulated drive objects real time. However, writing the drive objects for each drive is a bit more complex, of course.

Again, one of those things that I would like to do, but may never get around to for a long time.

No worries Joey Z. Its good to know that you are thinking along those lines, but I totally understand the time factor. The best way is incremental with a focus on polishing the existing features.

I have an idea for one thing that would be really useful and - maybe! - not a huge deal to implement. Would it be possible for RespeQT to recognize the presence of physical drives that are connected in a daisy chain with the SIO2PC-USB adaptor? What I mean is, say you have a real 1050 and then plug the SIO2PC-USB through it. The 1050 is mechanically hard-wired as D1: via the slider switches on the back. When RespeQT starts up, it detects the existing drive and then disables its 'D1' entry so there can be no conflict. I frequently end up with D1: conflicts - through my own lack of care, obviously - and if that could be sorted out in some way it would be a really useful extension to the existing functionality.

Would it be possible for RespeQT to recognize the presence of physical drives that are connected in a daisy chain with the SIO2PC-USB adaptor?

What I mean is, say you have a real 1050 and then plug the SIO2PC-USB through it. The 1050 is mechanically hard-wired as D1: via the slider switches on the back. When RespeQT starts up, it detects the existing drive and then disables its 'D1' entry so there can be no conflict. I frequently end up with D1: conflicts - through my own lack of care, obviously - and if that could be sorted out in some way it would be a really useful extension to the existing functionality.

I don't hink there is a clean solution for that.

RespeQt (like other SIO devices) is a slave component on the SIO bus and can not innitiate SIO communication to find out what other devices are on the bus (only the ATARI can).

One solution could be to disable emulation of a SIO device after a certain number of GetStatus requests to this device (following each other), but this is a valid scenario of the SIO communication...

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 1

I don't hink there is a clean solution for that.

RespeQt (like other SIO devices) is a slave component on the SIO bus and can not innitiate SIO communication to find out what other devices are on the bus (only the ATARI can).

One solution could be to disable emulation of a SIO device after a certain number of GetStatus requests to this device (following each other), but this could be a valid scenario of the SIO communication...

I see what you mean...

Are all SIO devices unaware of each other in the chain then?