IGNORED

Found my "Holy Grail" - Commodore SX-64!

Nice to know!

That make it more interesting.. I alway though it was a monochrome screen, would have made sense; this thing was targeted to professionnal, and a monochrome display is easier to read (especially given the luma+ chroma nature of the video output) and for professionnal items, was looking "more serious".

Most word processing machines of the era were only monochrome machines.

The SX-64's screen is surprisingly usable. I used to call BBSes and a Vax/VMS machine using Novaterm in 80 column mode on it. I am not certain my eyes could easily make out the shape of three pixel-wide characters these days, but back then it was just fine for me.

I am looking to find a good LCD to replace the CRT in mine. The CRT still works, but I think I can do better for weight, power, and heat. I will undoubtedly, however, run into the same problem I have with desktop LCDs: finding just the right screen so pixels are not fat and skinny all the way across, distorting the aspect.

At the time these were sold, Commodore had announced an SX-100, which was basically this machine with a monochrome monitor. They also announced a DX-64, which was supposed to have a second floppy drive where this thing's storage bay is located. Neither of those machines made it to market because the SX-64 was a commercial flop compared to the original C64 model.

The SX-64 is the Only Commodore I bought.... BITD, I got it from a guy who bought it from COMB, the liquidator, because he wanted to move up to a C128, and was keeping his C64.

I have got many Commodore computers and parts since then, but all were given to me....

A photo from a couple years ago:

2013-01-01_8bit_Desk_01_s.JPG

From my Tech Page.

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

Regarding flop or not, supposedly many potential business customers waited for the dual drive DX-64 to arrive, and weren't interested in the single drive SX-64 that actually came out. If Commodore had been more clear there would not be a dual drive version, perhaps more businesses would've settled for a SX-64 after all. Of course there were a lot of other competition, all those Osbornes, Kaypros and other luggables which didn't make life easier for Commodore.

I would love an SX64 myself. But not a stock, one with LCD, SD2IEC drive, and be able to run off batteries. (would have to fake stable 9v AC off battery somehow) The stock SX64 were quite heavy, removing the original drive and the CRT would probably go a long way to making it lighter.

• Like 1

The stock SX64 were quite heavy, removing the original drive and the CRT would probably go a long way to making it lighter.

No doubt. 23 pounds, I believe. It's "portable" only in the academic sense: It's self-contained and it has a handle. Doubt you'd want to do any long-distance carrying for any length of time, though.

Though that raises another point: the folks that had these and used them regularly for business and had to carry them around must've been built like a linebacker.

• Like 1

Why carry it around, when you can have it set up next to your lounge chair at the pool? I don't know about marketing in other countries, but the pictures used in the Swedish product folder display a foreman at a construction site, wearing helmet and his SX-64 in one hand. At home, he crunches numbers on the same computer before letting the kids play on it. Now I don't think foremen generally are physically strong, unless of course he used to be a construction worker who got promoted for his supervising skills.

7800fan: It sounds like you rather want a C64 laptop, of the kind some people have built in the last decade. Either running on real Commodore hardware or emulated stuff.

sx64-2.jpg

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

No doubt. 23 pounds, I believe. It's "portable" only in the academic sense: It's self-contained and it has a handle. Doubt you'd want to do any long-distance carrying for any length of time, though.

Though that raises another point: the folks that had these and used them regularly for business and had to carry them around must've been built like a linebacker.

I recall 29 pounds.. I guess I should weigh it, ( and convert to kilograms for those in the audience who don't think in old English measurements )

There seems to be small variations in measurements:

Old-Computers: 36.8 x 12.7 x 36.8 cm, no weight measurement

C64 Wiki: 36.8 x 12.7 x 36.8 cm, 10.5 kg = 23 lbs

Commodore brochure: 37.0 x 12.5 x 40.0 cm, 12 kg (about 26.5 lbs)

Computersmuseum.com: 43.0 x 13.5 x 37.0 cm, 10 kg

If yours is closer to 29 lbs, perhaps you stuffed something into the storage space or the power supply was replaced by a heavy duty one.

At the time these were sold, Commodore had announced an SX-100, which was basically this machine with a monochrome monitor. They also announced a DX-64, which was supposed to have a second floppy drive where this thing's storage bay is located. Neither of those machines made it to market because the SX-64 was a commercial flop compared to the original C64 model.

BITD, I remember a picture of a DX-64 with Two Drives, but also remember that there was an Issue with the Power Supply.. Not enough Amps for The Computer, Two Drives and the Color Monitor..

With a new Low Power LCD Screen, there should be more than enough power for a Second Drive...

Actually a nice Switching Power supply would be a good investment too....

MarkO

• 2 months later...

Hmm I can't tell if it is tube only or if it comes with yoke already set and calibrated. If it is the naked tube, expect to spend an hour adjusting the yoke and convergence rings to get the best image on the screen. And that means having your hand very near the high voltage anode wire. That wire carries 14,000v according to the schematic.

Hopefully it's already set and calibrated at factory, and that the yoke hadn't slipped out of alignment after more than 25 years of storage.

Hmm I can't tell if it is tube only or if it comes with yoke already set and calibrated. If it is the naked tube, expect to spend an hour adjusting the yoke and convergence rings to get the best image on the screen. And that means having your hand very near the high voltage anode wire. That wire carries 14,000v according to the schematic.

Hopefully it's already set and calibrated at factory, and that the yoke hadn't slipped out of alignment after more than 25 years of storage.

Yeah... I don't own a SX-64, but if I did that would not be my first choice hobby project. I would probably just find a willing TV service shop to install it. I was just surprised to see a NIB SX-64 tube available.

Edited by LiqMat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would love an SX64 myself. But not a stock, one with LCD, SD2IEC drive, and be able to run off batteries. (would have to fake stable 9v AC off battery somehow) The stock SX64 were quite heavy, removing the original drive and the CRT would probably go a long way to making it lighter.

This wouldn't be a SX-64 any more ! :-D

This wouldn't be a SX-64 any more ! :-D

No, it wouldn't. Part of the charm of the SX-64 these days, at least for me, is how it screams "old tech" with its CRT display, 5.25" disk drive, and all the other trimmings.

That said, if someone could develop a thinner, lighter version of the C64 that's a bit more portable, it would still be handier. Although I wouldn't cannibalize a perfectly good SX-64 for the job. In fact, what I would rather have is a C64 laptop, not unlike the one Ben Heck once built.

• Like 1

The SX-64's screen is surprisingly usable. I used to call BBSes and a Vax/VMS machine using Novaterm in 80 column mode on it. I am not certain my eyes could easily make out the shape of three pixel-wide characters these days, but back then it was just fine for me.

I am looking to find a good LCD to replace the CRT in mine. The CRT still works, but I think I can do better for weight, power, and heat. I will undoubtedly, however, run into the same problem I have with desktop LCDs: finding just the right screen so pixels are not fat and skinny all the way across, distorting the aspect.

That would be a mistake, the LCD might be a worse picture for the resolution the Commodre puts out. No need to change that tiny CRT, it is very light. The heavy components are the built in power transformer and disk drive assembly.

Thread was a bit old. I got an SX since that post, a few months ago for cheap. It was dead, nothing from the CPU board. Disk drive worked and could be picked up when I jury-rigged a hookup from my regular C64 to the disk drive. The video was fine. Just nothing from CPU board. Nothing with test cart or with MAX games. CPU, kernel, and BASIC were checked good, no hot chips, probably a TTL chip.

It is an older thread, but I'm actually glad it was bumped because it does give me an opportunity to give an update on this same SX-64. When I bought it one year ago, it was mostly working properly, except after I got home with it, I did discover a slight defect with the SID chip in that some sounds didn't seem to work.

I swapped the SID out with the one from my working C64, and now it has fully working sound. As a side note, I put the SX-64's SID into my breadbin C64, and for whatever reason, it seems to work fine in that machine. So I've left it as such.

I also managed to get a chance not to long ago to give some attention to the disk drive, since it originally couldn't read disks, and the ejection mechanism was kinda borked as well. I got it out, gave the read/write head a thorough cleaning, fixed the ejector arm, and I'm happy to report that the SX-64 is now 100% fully healthy!!

• Like 1

That would be a mistake, the LCD might be a worse picture for the resolution the Commodre puts out. No need to change that tiny CRT, it is very light. The heavy components are the built in power transformer and disk drive assembly.

I get that, but I have lead on a particular screen which provides the perfect aspect ratio for use with the 64's output. And since I have a couple of SXes available, I can keep one stock and experiment with the other. I would like to replace the power supply with something modern, as well.

I have a few thoughts in mind about the disk drives. The latest Commodore Free issue has a link to a guy who converted his SX-64 to a DX-64. I do not think I would go that route, but I have thought about a 1581 for the second drive, or maybe even my CMD hard drive with an SD2SCSI (currently a 1GB microSD,) but as mentioned before I think perhaps an SD2IEC would be a better way to go, especially after watching the X2014 C64 demo compo in which one was used for the presentations.

• Like 1

I have an original SX-64 for the nostalgia, true retro feeling and as a collector, but for intensive retro gaming, C64 laptop should be fun. Even a little laptop with VICE should do the job (I have some Toshiba Libretto and a Pandora for that).

Yes I have a working SX-64 as well. Great old machine. The prior user of mine was a serious user as it came with a bunch of accounting software and a MPS 803 printer. I am almost afraid to use it too much in case something on it dies.