IGNORED

The Rare Replay thread

Austin

Actually, it says that they're rendered in HD.

That's distinct from just being upscaled since it means that the 3D polygonal graphics are actually being created in full HD, not 480i or whatever they originally were rendered in by actual N64 hardware. The only components being upscaled are those that are composed of 2D sprites, like the characters in KI Gold apparently.

Take this Mario Kart DS comparison. On the left is MKDS being rendered in its native resolution like it is on actual DS hardware (And alas, this is what it renders in on the Wii U, with the console then upscaling it to HD). On the right is it being rendered in HD by a PC emulator. Quite a bit difference.

HxrSvaI.png

Upscaling doesn't bring out any details you couldn't of seen originally, it just converts it to a higher resolution in order for it to match today's fixed pixel displays. I'm sure that if your HDTV can tell you what resolution that it's receiving, that it will match whatever you've selected to output in your XB1's settings for any of the included games in Rare Replay.

If the game isn't upscaling a particular title here in software, your XB1 would be upscaling it to 1080p or whatever you've selected anyways. And barring that, your HDTV is going to have to handle the scaling chores to match your tv's native resolution (Although to the best of my knowledge, the XB1 operates just like the 360 did; If you select 1080p, what the system is outputting is always going to be 1080p, either native or upscaled by the system to match).

Edited by Atariboy

I spent a few hours with Rare Replay last night. I can say for certain now that you are right, the N64 games are rendered in hi-def. KI Gold is a good example--the sprites are noticeably worse than the original as a result, but the polygonal backgrounds are super crisp and clear.

On a more gameplay-related note, I finally dipped into the Snapshot challenges last night. There are some fun things to do here, so for those that haven't checked it out I recommend doing so.

KI Gold is a good example--the sprites are noticeably worse than the original as a result, but the polygonal backgrounds are super crisp and clear.

I notice this on my Wii U with Mario Kart 64, well known back in the day for actually utilizing 2D sprites for the karts and drivers.

This trick to ease the processing load to keep the action more fluid worked perfect back then when playing at its original resolution and via RF or composite out to a CRT.

But now that it's rendering at a higher resolution (Some say 480p, others say HD) and you're enjoying the clarity of component or HDMI on what's likely a much larger display than back in 1997, it really sticks out these days and looks odd.

Edited by Atariboy

• 10 months later...

Glad to see people are still interested in this pack. I haven't loaded mine up in a very long time, as I just play most of the games on their original systems. Still, it's a great bundle for the Xbone. I wish there were more classic compilations like this in the modern day.

• Like 1

Glad to see people are still interested in this pack. I haven't loaded mine up in a very long time, as I just play most of the games on their original systems. Still, it's a great bundle for the Xbone. I wish there were more classic compilations like this in the modern day.

I have the Banjo and Conker games already as well, but I figured for the price, it was worth it for those games and all the others in HD. Plus, being able to play them, if I want, on the big tv makes longer games like that a bit more comfortable.