IGNORED

Getting started with a disk system - TI-FDC

jedimatt42

So, I've just gathered a pile of hardware. Including a PEB with TI (32k, rs323, floppy disk controller) and drive.

I've picked up an NEC 3-1/2" floppy drive, and some blank disks.

But I don't have Disk Manager 2 to format them with... There are things like dm2k that are EA5 programs...

I have extended basic, and editor assembler cartridges...

Is there any creative way to load a disk manager? Can EA5 load from RS232 connected to a PC, or should I try the .wav to cassette route? Can EA load from cassette? Can an emulator copy a file from disk to cassette/wav?

I've actually ordered Disk Manager 2 and Terminal Emulator II cartridges off the great and wonderful e-bay, but that's no fun. :) and requires waiting.

you can load things from CS1, but I am not sure if you can load an EA5 program that has more than one file name. I have never tried that.

Typically on programs that are EA5 files they will have at least 1 file, most have more and go up in number, 1,2,3, or A,B,C, etc..

If you have access to an older PC that can do DS/SD @ 40 tracks then you can you TI99-PC with OmniFlop to write actual TI disks on the PC then use them on the TI.

Also, if your 3.5 drives you have has drive select jumpers then you will not have to modify your cable. If not, then the standard straigh through cable will see the drive as DSK2. You can see the drive cable mods on mainbyte.com

Hope this helps.

you can load things from CS1, but I am not sure if you can load an EA5 program that has more than one file name. I have never tried that.

Typically on programs that are EA5 files they will have at least 1 file, most have more and go up in number, 1,2,3, or A,B,C, etc..

If you have access to an older PC that can do DS/SD @ 40 tracks then you can you TI99-PC with OmniFlop to write actual TI disks on the PC then use them on the TI.

Also, if your 3.5 drives you have has drive select jumpers then you will not have to modify your cable. If not, then the standard straigh through cable will see the drive as DSK2. You can see the drive cable mods on mainbyte.com

Hope this helps.

Yes, you can load an EA5 set of files like DSKU from cassette. It will just take a while. :)

Gazoo