IGNORED

Is there any way to get rapid fire support for NES games, on the Retro Duo?

I love my Retro Duo console, but does anyone know if there's any way to get rapid fire when playing NES games on this system? For example, if I get an SNES controller that has rapid fire support, would that work with NES games? Or just SNES games?

When I had a Sega Master System, I also had the 6-button Genesis controller that has the rapid fire switch, and it did work on Master System shmups.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, almost all of them should be fine.

I did have trouble with the 'sn programpad,' but it's a bit of an odd duck.

I think it required too much power from the system.

Well, I purchased an ASCII Pad SNES controller, and the rapid fire function will not work with NES games. The controller's in mint condition, too. I'm bummed; I love the Retro Duo, but I'd love to get rapid fire support for NES games. Reaperman, do you have any suggestions?

I did a bit of questing around and the game I used to test was gradius.

• Capcom power stick runs all three speeds of turbo in NES mode just fine.
  • Messiah wireless also runs both speeds of turbo in nes mode just fine.

I thought I had more snes turbo controllers handy but did not find any readily available for this test.

I've never owned an snes ascii pad, but I'm very surprised it didn't work. I had thought the reason the programpad didn't work was its computerized functions hogging too much power, but the ascii may throw that theory out the window. Both controllers I tested had extra power drain too (capcom has LEDs, messiah has a radio receiver) and they worked fine. I really have no idea why some controllers work and others don't.

Also if you're using my recommendations to go shopping--do *NOT* buy a wireless messiah. I checked on ebay, and they're real expensive, but more importantly they're not very good. (here's my thread on them, sadly the pics of internals were replaced by ads sometime over the years) Capcom power sticks, on the other hand, are fairly awesome, and when staying clear of 'buy it now' pricing, deals can be had, but check to make sure they have their detachable cord.

Edited by Reaperman

I did a bit of questing around and the game I used to test was gradius.

• Capcom power stick runs all three speeds of turbo in NES mode just fine.
  • Messiah wireless also runs both speeds of turbo in nes mode just fine.

I thought I had more snes turbo controllers handy but did not find any readily available for this test.

I've never owned an snes ascii pad, but I'm very surprised it didn't work. I had thought the reason the programpad didn't work was its computerized functions hogging too much power, but the ascii may throw that theory out the window. Both controllers I tested had extra power drain too (capcom has LEDs, messiah has a radio receiver) and they worked fine. I really have no idea why some controllers work and others don't.

Also if you're using my recommendations to go shopping--do *NOT* buy a wireless messiah. I checked on ebay, and they're real expensive, but more importantly they're not very good. (here's my thread on them, sadly the pics of internals were replaced by ads sometime over the years) Capcom power sticks, on the other hand, are fairly awesome, and when staying clear of 'buy it now' pricing, deals can be had, but check to make sure they have their detachable cord.

Thanks for checking that out for me! I've heard really great things about that Capcom stick.