IGNORED

Is the 2600 console able to be modded for better video output?

orrimarrko

My Atari-2600 has a composite-Video-Mod. I like the picture, it has a little smoothness and is not to sharp. I like it, when the picture ist not to clear for retro-graphics, because i dont want to see the single pixels. So in my opinion, composite is very good.

The problem, when the Atari is not modded and used with RF-antenna-cable, is that the color-separation is very bad. Especially when it`s used on a modern TV. SVIDEO and Composite-Video helps here, but i dont need a totally sharp picture, therefore i prefer the composite-Video. This is matter of taste.

Here is how I feel about it...

I prefer the original system the way it was intended (using a filter just makes it as good as it can get without changing the system entirely). It's like modding a Genesis/Mega Drive for RGB (I've done it, too). You may like the sharper picture. It may make some games look like an arcade!! Certain games (Sonic is one of them) may have processes that might not look right in RGB. I also prefer real hardware over emulation, CRT TV's over HD, VHS (*gasp) over DVD/Blue Ray, records over CD's or digital, and systems that use palpable media rather than DLC. I think that filtered RF on Atari looks better than modded systems. It's my personal preference, but that is how I feel. Modded systems, like what was said before, look like emulation or, and this was quite a creative way to put it, like the game was done in MS-Paint.

Nobody asked anybody's preferences in the original post - the guy asked if the system could be modded for better output. The answer is a simple "Yes."

Whether you, I, or anyone else prefers RF, composite, RGB or upscaling to 1080p with a $5K digital scaler isn't the question. Life's too short to tell other people how to have fun.

• Like 3

The Genesis is RGB ready right out of the box, so I'm not sure that comparison applies.

Look, there's no argument that people will like what they like, and that if you prefer the original look on a CRT television, then by all means...

However, personally, I prefer the best video output that I can get (for a couple of reasons, the least of all of which is failing eyesight.) If the option for better video output existed then, believe me, they would have used it.

So I don't see the harm in doing so now if it's possible.

The XRGB mini (Framemeister) provides amazing results on LED/LCD TVs with systems that are either RGB equipped (Master System, Genesis, Neo Geo AES, etc.) or that can be modded (NES, SNES, N64), etc.

For those that have S-video mods (2600, 5200, Colecovision, etc.) - the results are equally amazing.

Do what you like folks. This doesn't need to be a debate about which is better.

Nobody asked anybody's preferences in the original post - the guy asked if the system could be modded for better output. The answer is a simple "Yes."

Whether you, I, or anyone else prefers RF, composite, RGB or upscaling to 1080p with a $5K digital scaler isn't the question. Life's too short to tell other people how to have fun.

Beat me to the post button... ;)

Life is not too short. There is also no proof at all that you only live once. I'm not telling anyone how to have fun or to clean up the giant swirling islands of garbage from the ocean either. This would have been such an interesting and informative topic if the second answer was "yes" and there were no other posts at all.

Life is not too short. There is also no proof at all that you only live once. I'm not telling anyone how to have fun or to clean up the giant swirling islands of garbage from the ocean either. This would have been such an interesting and informative topic if the second answer was "yes" and there were no other posts at all.

"Yes," and instructions or links to informative posts would be helpful and actually answer the question at the same time.

I always say "If it aint fixed, don't break it worse!" I think this is a perfectly good topic. No one has called another person stupid yet. People are only stating their opinions. I would even be so bold as to call an RF Filter or an RF Trap an external 'mod' that doesn't devalue the original hardware. I've heard that certain Flashback 2 systems can be modded with a cartridge port to play games. I've even seen it set up to play the built-in titles when a cart isn't in place.

Once, on the Neo Geo thread, I was called stupid for stating the the Neo Geo had different RAM than the arcade system. Much arguing and mud slinging ensued until someone came on and said "I have an adapter that plays the games that use the different RAM" (paraphrasing). Certain games glitch up when you try to cross them over with adapters from arcade to home systems (this is because of different RAM, shhhhhh). No one was like "Oh, why did we call that guy stupid when he was right?".

I think if people want to mod their stuff to play on their HD TV's it's fine. It's not the original. You won't be able to sell it for what the price of an original might go for. You can't say "That's a heavy sixer from 78' that's all original!" anymore. It's your business and it's cute and all. I just think it's a tad unnecessary when there are cheaper, less invasive options that provide a cleaner picture without digging into the system. I think it's totally on topic to argue the benefits of keeping hardware original when modding is being discussed. It could be a thirty-nine year old system your changing and that might not have crossed the minds of certain users. If you like it then do it. If you didn't know about filters before then I hope I helped and you may consider it.

I program games for the machine and I need to know what the customer might have to play the games on so I may need a modded system just to see what they will see when or if they buy it. It's often a costly upgrade and it forever (unless you feel like undoing a mod to restore something) changes your Atari to a modern RCA/RGB/S-VIDEO version of the system. I've got nine arcade cabinets that house most of the best systems from the past forty years of gaming. I've modded the controls to be hard-wired to arcade sticks and buttons to play upright. I've modded and had modded many systems to make, what I consider to be, improvements (mostly cross-region enabling mods. Occasionally RGB (like for Sega)). I have a place in my heart for the original Atari as it is and that may not apply to everyone.

Like the OP said, he was simply asking if the systems could be modified, not whether or not one SHOULD modify a system. If you want to discuss that, go start another thread.

For the record, you will never get RF output looking as good as s-video output, sorry. I have around 20 Atari 2600 systems modified with composite, stereo audio, chroma, luminance, and s-video connectors. The difference in picture quality between RF output and s-video is generally night and day. If you want to use an unmodified 2600, more power to you, but don't talk down to those who want to modify their systems to get the best picture and audio possible. This will be my only warning.

..al

• Like 3