IGNORED

want the wii u.

went to best buy today with my daughter. while picking up a leap pad game for her, we wandered down the console isle, and saw the wii u- again.

i would really love to buy this system someday, but i am not prepared to pay $299 for it.

wish nintendo would hurry up and knock a couple bucks off the price of the wii u. it would be a no-brainer for $199.

until then i will just have to keep playing my SNES and DS.

• Like 1

I bought mine this past February for $300. It was packaged with Mario and Luigi U. And also got DK Tropical Freeze and NES Remix. I talked myself to not get an 8th generation system for the past couple of years. I was originally reluctant to even get the Wii U. I gave in and have no regrets purchasing the system. Mario and Luigi U are fun 2D platformers, NES Remix has a bunch of classic and favorite NES mini games, and was blown away playing Tropical Freeze. Great HD graphics! I like to get Toad's Treasure Tracker and Mario 3D World. Also if you have any Wii games lying around, you can play them as it is backwards compatible. Overall I highly recommended it. And put some good use and time into it.

• Like 2

about me:

i have been in retro mode for the past 10+ years. the game boy advance sp was the last gaming console i purchased new, prior to that the super nintendo, prior to that the game boy. i did buy a used gamecube and a used ps2 briefly, bought them and a couple games from gamestop and returned them after a couple weeks. i did the same thing with a used nintendo 64, but kept it only a day. really not a fan of that system due to the lack of 2D platformer titles. i am really turned off by the gratuitous violence that seems to be a prerequisite of games made for the xbox and playstation. i am sorry, but i have no desire to pretend to kill people. it kind of makes me sick, actually. the nintendo wii u seems to offer plenty of basically non-violent games. even the super smash brothers series doesn't come close to mortal kombat blood and gore.

about me:

i have been in retro mode for the past 10+ years. the game boy advance sp was the last gaming console i purchased new, prior to that the super nintendo, prior to that the game boy. i did buy a used gamecube and a used ps2 briefly, bought them and a couple games from gamestop and returned them after a couple weeks. i did the same thing with a used nintendo 64, but kept it only a day. really not a fan of that system due to the lack of 2D platformer titles. i am really turned off by the gratuitous violence that seems to be a prerequisite of games made for the xbox and playstation. i am sorry, but i have no desire to pretend to kill people. it kind of makes me sick, actually. the nintendo wii u seems to offer plenty of basically non-violent games. even the super smash brothers series doesn't come close to mortal kombat blood and gore.

That's not exactly true. All three current systems have a good mix of violent and non-violent games. I think you just notice it more on the Wii U because there are fewer games on it and the first party titles from Nintendo - which tend to err on the less violent side - are particularly high profile given the dearth of third party support.

• Like 1

about me:

i am really turned off by the gratuitous violence that seems to be a prerequisite of games made for the xbox and playstation.

Yes you used to hear this about the Xbox 360/PS3 many years ago. That all games were clones of each other, they were same drab color brown, that all were hyper violent, etc...etc...

I would respond with questions like, have you tried Kameo? Beautiful Katamari? Viva Pinata? Lips? Blue Dragon? Create? Skylanders? Eternal Sonata? You're in the Movies? Thrillville? The Simpsons Game? Tornado Outbreak? The list goes on..... in addition to literally dozens and dozens of Live Arcade games. The answer was usually No I'll have to check that out.

I don't think the issue is that these systems don't have colorful, non violent games, it's that some people don't pay attention to those games,, even the ones that supposedly love them.

Never could figure that one out.

• Like 1

There are loads of non-violent indy titles on the XBone at least. What I tend to not find are local MP games that are both non-violent and approachable by a few age ranges / backgrounds. That is where I find my Wii U to far outshine the other libraries. A lot of the titles I have that are non-violent I have found my kids really can't enjoy at their skill level. Lots of puzzle games and sports games that are basically unplayable if you are bad at them. My son can easily have a blast at most of the Nintendo titles even if he's no good at them. There's something valuable in that.

• Like 1

moycon, Kameo is a violent game. Beautiful Katamari is anything but beautiful, and Viva Pinata looks like shovelware.

But, your argument has convinced me to go ahead and buy the Wii U, (even if its just as violent as the xbox one and ps4)

because the games that are not violent on the WII U are much higher quality than the one's you mentioned on the 360.

let's face it, most people buy the xbox one and ps4 for the violent games. if there were no violent games on those systems

most people would not buy those systems.

if there were no violent games on those systems

People buy what makes them happy. To do the opposite would be silly.

" Kameo is a violent game. Beautiful Katamari is anything but beautiful, and Viva Pinata looks like shovelware. "

You lost me, but whatever. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Hopefully you find something to enjoy on the Wii U. That's what is important.

Edited by moycon
  • Like 1

moycon, Kameo is a violent game. Beautiful Katamari is anything but beautiful, and Viva Pinata looks like shovelware.

But, your argument has convinced me to go ahead and buy the Wii U, (even if its just as violent as the xbox one and ps4)

because the games that are not violent on the WII U are much higher quality than the one's you mentioned on the 360.

let's face it, most people buy the xbox one and ps4 for the violent games. if there were no violent games on those systems

You won't regret the Wii-U... :D

And I have little desire to own a PS4 or Xbone...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

I swear to God that Nintendo has some sort of hypnosis/spell/influence over me for all these years. Had an Xbox 360 with 36 games, played it 3 months, sold it all for a New Nintendo 3DS XL. AND started collecting for the Gamecube again. However, that being firmly established that I am brainwashed, the Wii U does look awesome and if I had the money (probably would have if I would've just saved it in the first place) I would grab this up. Curse you, Nintendo. :mad:

• Like 1

Actually the point about violence is interesting. I think violence is often equated to gore, which isn't entirely accurate. The bloody fantasy is one thing, the act of running around hitting people is still violence, even if Mario isn't divested of his limbs in a shower of blood, Super Smash Bros still has a high amount of violence.

• Like 1

agreed. super smash bros probably won't be the best choice for my 10 year old daughter.

It's comments like that that remind the differences in parenting styles. I think you'd faint if you knew what we allowed our two oldest daughters, 10 and 8, access to.

• Like 3

I've given up on Nintendo systems after the Gamecube. Found the Wii pretty disappointing, and the WiiU too. I did buy a DS, but barely used it... in the end, the PSP made me play a lot more.

Nintendo's own software just lost me, and with their method of using outdated hardware they are not attractive to 3rd parties.

Mind you, I barely ever play shooters. Still I find myself finding countless great games on Sony and Microsoft systems. I considered buying a 3DS, but with Nintendo's policy of superior hardware revisions this will not happen until the system is dead. I would have been pissed had I bought a 3DS only to see the New 3DS follow. But quite honestly, there's not a lot of games for me on it anyway. One contributing factor is the region lock, meaning I have to pick one region and miss out on exclusives from another one. Add to that the bad form factor and right stick-wannabe, and I just can't get back after being used to the Vita.

With the WiiU, taking away Nintendo's own titles leaves very little. I will eventually purchase one around next year when prices drop with the announcement of the NX. Only to have a system to enjoy both Xenoblade games on though. Multi-titles are most of the time inferior to the PS3 and 360 versions sadly.

Anyway, even if you do like what the WiiU has to offer, I think paying 299 is very unwise. The system is a flop and near the end of its life cycle, so it will be sold cheap rather soon. At least in Europe there have already been plenty of offers from online stores, some for around 150 Euros. Waiting for a good deal is probably a good idea.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1

It's comments like that that remind the differences in parenting styles. I think you'd faint if you knew what we allowed our two oldest daughters, 10 and 8, access to.

I think it really comes down to knowing your own kid. My youngest isn't even in the teen years yet, but playing a RPG that is rated teen because of some potty humor and fantasy violence would not bother me. I still won't let my oldest play many rated M games, but there are probably a few I might be okay with depending on the genra. Some f-bombs are not going to bug me; probably hears that 50 times a day at school.

Yes... Super Smash Brothers is violent, but I think there is a difference between how fantasy violence versus gore spattering everywhere would desensitize a kid. Both of them play Super Smash Brothers, but there will be no Call of Duty any time soon.

Then if there is violence, what is it towards? Something fantasy related like hordes of zombies and aliens or something more realistic like people? Some say it makes no difference, but in my opinion it does. I don't expect a hoard of violent beings from another planet to be racing down my street anytime soon, but playing a video game that involves a lot of violence towards people is a different matter.

There are certain games I will not allow in the house and even play myself. Grand Theft Auto games would be an example. I don't care what someone wants in their house, but I don't stuff like that in mine.

• Like 1

If you can get a cheap deal its not bad but it may collect dust if you don't play it. If your like me and have multiple systems its not going to be played as much. I play Nintendo titles and the other games are for the family like Mario Kart, Smash Bros., party games etc. Mario and Donkey Kong country and those platform games are too hard for anyone in my house other than me so they don't get played.

My kid is 13 now and she's completely moved to tablet\PC gaming and her phone. She also plays the PS4\Xbox\3DS from time to time. I let her play most games except games where your a bad guy (ex. Rockstar games). Other than that I know her, she's smart and I have no problems with her playing most violent games. At some point I'll let her play everything, not quite there yet.

• Like 2

If you can get a cheap deal its not bad but it may collect dust if you don't play it. If your like me and have multiple systems its not going to be played as much. I play Nintendo titles and the other games are for the family like Mario Kart, Smash Bros., party games etc. Mario and Donkey Kong country and those platform games are too hard for anyone in my house other than me so they don't get played.

My kid is 13 now and she's completely moved to tablet\PC gaming and her phone. She also plays the PS4\Xbox\3DS from time to time. I let her play most games except games where your a bad guy (ex. Rockstar games). Other than that I know her, she's smart and I have no problems with her playing most violent games. At siome point I'll let her play everything, not quite there yet.

I agree for the most part. Every kid is different, but I know our two oldest daughters (again, 10 and 8, going on 11 and 9) have put the most time into the Xbox One, followed by a distance second, the Wii U, followed by a distant third, the PS4. One reason why the Xbox One gets the most play is that it's the easiest of the three to access, i.e., if the TV is on, then the Xbox One is on since there's no need to switch inputs or do anything else special to quickly get into it. The other reasons of course are the games that are on it, and specifically Minecraft and Disney Infinity 2.0 (soon to be joined by 3.0). They've long since given up on all things 3DS, preferring to devote their time away from the TV and other activities to either their computers or smartphones.

With the above in mind, our situation is probably rather unique in that we have pretty much every computer and videogame system ever made in the house, although only the past several generations are quickly accessible (especially for them). That translates into situations like last night where my middle daughter played Dance Central on Xbox One, followed by American Idol on the Xbox 360 (I joined her on both of those), followed by Kinect Party and Happy Action Theater (also both on Xbox 360, and joined by her older sister). I suppose that all comes down to if the content is appealing to your particular child, she will use it. If not, it will collect dust.

With the above in mind, our situation is probably rather unique in that we have pretty much every computer and videogame system ever made in the house, although only the past several generations are quickly accessible (especially for them).

Yup same set up here. I have most systems ever made with the most current one's available for play. Yes I get the same Just Dance! games and other games being played and I join in on a few too.....your definitely not alone! Main machine is the PS3/PS4 for Netflix but I'll be moving the Xbox One downstairs for that soon cause I like the way it handles cable TV etc.

The main thing I noticed is that her and her friends are big into the tablets. Even the boys (she has lots of cousins) primarily game on Xbox and tablets. Guess that's why Nintendo will try and imitate an Apple like "eco-system".....just not sure how it will all work. They still have that business of getting a modern online ID system set up. It's partially there but I can see they still tie purchases to consoles and that's a big issue with me.

Yeah, it's definitely amazing what our children have access to, particularly with those of us who never lost our passion for videogames and computers (i.e., crazy collectors). In some ways it's kind of bad that they have so many options, so much choice, because it's far easier for them to simply move onto the next thing and not really put the kind of time and effort into things we had to. In other ways, of course, having access to so much variety no doubt has many virtues and exposes them to things we could only have dreamed of. I can't see that course reversing for their children, or their children's children, either.

• Like 1

You mean back in the day where you had one console and a handful of cartridges, and your own 9 inch TV (if you were lucky) as opposed to having 7-8 consoles hooked up around the house, and a flatscreen TV available to every member of the household?

Let's not forget the steam collections.

I can't get into the tablet gaming thing aside from the occasional game of Angry Birds, but my youngest probably uses the tablet more than anything.

Back on topic... as far as game suitability goes... where one is the villain is where I tend to draw the line as well. My oldest is really into racing/car games, but I had to be real careful to check during the younger years to make sure the game did not involve running away from the police. I know enough about other genres to know what to keep them away from or out of my house all together, but racing... not my thing. I'd rather watch paint dry.

It's unbelievable these days....when I was a kid it was Atari/Colecovision and I was lucky to convince my parents for a C64 by 85'.

Back then, when you played a game, you pulled a box off the shelf and pulled out the manual, maybe a code wheel, a notepad, pencil, and disks. Now, you just open Steam and have 1,000 games at your beckon.