IGNORED

want the wii u.

For family / local coop fun my Wii U still sits head and shoulders over the XBone. It's no contest. Ours does not gather dust and only almost did when my Gamepad was on the fritz. If the Wii U's media apps didn't tend to depend on the Gamepad (and it had plex) it'd be played even more, but it's still a daily driver for us. It does just happen to be easier to pivot from a show to a game when the thing is already on. And snapping Umi Zoomi or some other cartoon show while playing something is handy. My kids love to talk along with the counting and alphabet stuff so I don't want to interrupt them. Of course, no one can dictate what you like or how it fits in your zillion local variables.

I also still tend to just get a dozen or so games each gen. I'm overwhelmed by just the free games on Xbone (and freakin' Dragon Age hit EA Access). I can't imagine if the Wii U had an even larger library. Between SSB, Mario Kart, and Splatoon my 'Hey let's ...' gametime is well stocked. The rest of the stellar Nintendo options are just candy on top.

I find my energy for gaming has gone down, so I've gotten lazier. When I'm tired I don't like being overwhelmed by options. My handhelds are all for JRPGs and usually have a single game in the slot for a lot time or in standby for easy access. I'm not sure if I'm alone in that. New job (first real job outside the Navy) and a 1 and 3 year old are enough to whoop me as I bend over backward to keep my workout time and life in check.

• 4 weeks later...

I use my WiiU almost everyday, I play Mario Kart with the friends and Super Smash Bros so much I am afraid I may wear the drive and discs out. I have to say Splatoon is a fabulous and very fun. I have been really playing Disney Infinity as well. My poor Xbox and Playstation 3 just don't get any attention. My Vita and PSP are covered in dust.

In any case you will dig the system.

fry's has the wii u on sale today for $269.99 with nintendoland and smw3d

Sounds like a great starter to me! I got lucky and got mine on a day when Best Buy had the bundle with Mario/luigi U in, during a bunch of promos that resulted in a free copy of Zombi U and $30 in gift cards. Which became $50 in gift cards because they mis-rung my order. :D

Anyway, since you're decided now- make sure you get Rayman Legends. I think you'll like it. I've never played a side scroller with rhythm stages before, but now I wish I could get a whole game of it!

went to best buy today with my daughter. while picking up a leap pad game for her, we wandered down the console isle, and saw the wii u- again.

i would really love to buy this system someday, but i am not prepared to pay $299 for it.

wish nintendo would hurry up and knock a couple bucks off the price of the wii u. it would be a no-brainer for $199.

until then i will just have to keep playing my SNES and DS.

Why not......check local ads like kijiji or whatever you have and get a used WiiU?

For usually around $250 or less, you can get a system with a bunch of games and perhaps even a pro controller.

The WiiU is worth getting, especially if you have kids.

• Like 1

It is also worth getting if you want to play some of the classics... legally without messing with each of the consoles or clones. Sales of $30-$50 off happen. and it seems to usually to be bundled with Nintendo land and a Wii U game.

As far as the classics go, you will be limited in the selection of games rather than owning each of the consoles, but if you have a small space like mine or just don't want to deal with a bunch of 20-30 year old consoles, it is worth considering, and I have too many sour experiences with the clones.

I also think the Wii U is worth it, even for the first party games alone. I'm not into all the FPS stuff and if I was, I have a PS3 anyway. Great for folks w/kids, but great for people who like some old school gaming as well. Even if I only had Mario Kart, it'd be worth it alone for that game.