IGNORED

Mega Man Legacy Collection (XB1, PS4, 3DS, PC)

Atariboy

BestBuy has an exclusive 3DS release that comes with a Gold Mega Man amiibo and some extra goodies.
Looks like a pretty good deal...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mega-man-legacy-collection-collectors-edition-nintendo-3ds/4738600.p?id=bb4738600&skuId=4738600

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

A physical release makes me VERY happy! I'm still puzzled by the lack of a Wii U release though.

There goes that theory. :)

In a last ditch attempt to stick by it and defend it, 55 million units sold versus 10 million is a much more lucrative market. They may have simply decided that the number of people not satisfied with the existing Virtual Console downloads just isn't substantial enough to bother going after on the Wii U.

And a final but distant possibility are contracts. Capcom may have more control on the 3DS with their properties that they've previously submitted to Nintendo for Virtual Console consideration on the 3DS than they do over on the Wii U, a system likely covered with a different agreement.

It could still be the reason behind this, although the 3DS and the availability of the first five Mega Mans off the 3DS eShop rather blows a hole in my speculation.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was going to pick this up for 3DS, but after watching the review posted on the previous page and reading these comments, I guess I should just grab the Anniversary Collection for the PS2 for half the price?

If you have a CRT to play it on, then yeah (unless you don't mind the blurry visuals on a modern set). It's a lot more content for a lower price.

• 1 year later...

Link is down, used google to get the meat of it. I really hope it's not some wasted opportunity to shove out MMX junk. I'd really love to see them dust off a real gem of variety we got back on PSP when they did 2 arcade collections. Imagine them pumping out a lot of those old 80s early 90s arcade titles in bundles and throwing that on everything once more (Switch instead of 3DS, PS4, One, PC-Steam) that would be excellent.

• 2 months later...

9/10 were rental only, never on a real piece of media.

That also doesn't mean this one will be either despite the first. That Disney package was all NES games and it was digital, and insultingly so not released on any Nintendo format for some inexplicable reason they won't tell people about. It kind of makes me think it won't happen again as patterns tend to cycle and form when it comes to Capcom.

I wouldn't give up on Capcom just yet. They've been a pretty decent Nintendo supporter in the 2000's and much of it probably wasn't rewarded in the numbers they deserved. So I wouldn't blame them for being a bit cautious here.

Hopefully with the excellent launch and momentum that Nintendo has, they'll start giving it further consideration. Not to mention that they're Japanese based and handheld gaming is huge there. With the 3DS slowly fading and the Vita in its death throes with no hope of replacement, the Switch is the natural place to focus on for the future where their Japanese offerings are concerned.

Especially if Ultra Street Fighter II does well in May, I bet they'll ramp up their support. Maybe we'll even benefit in some way from their cautious approach, such as getting a complete Mega Man 1-10 collection at retail after the first part sadly skipped the Wii U and the latter seems to be not slated for a Nintendo release of any sort initially.

Edited by Atariboy

Nah they weren't that decent, at least not on the console side, Resident Evil withstanding though on GC+Wii. They have continually thrown Nintendo under the console bus from the N64 forward in a wash rinse repeat pattern that's stunning few catch onto and get pissed about being so forgiving. You get promises, you get previews, then you get a game or two, and then betrayal and abandonment with excuses. N64 ended up with stonewalling other than basically a wicked RE2 conversion and Mega Man Legends(64.) The GC had the promised Capcom 5 deal post-RE Dreamcast updates. That turned into the Capcom 1.5 with PN03 and RE4 which they waited until 2 weeks before it arrived to tell Sony freakout owners they'd get the definitive version with Ada Wong and other extras when the contract expires a year out...then canceled the other titles like pigs despite the huge RE4 sales. Wii you got rail games mostly and a RE port of 4 plus that odd Zack and Wiki title but otherwise blew it off too. Capcom is not to be trusted with their consoles due to history. Handhelds though they've been very well and friendly to Nintendo going back to the beginning of Gameboy. So to me, depending how they view the Switch as one or the other will dictate their sincerity and interest.

• 1 month later...

There would be no Mega Man legacy to collect without Nintendo.

Crapcom being Crapcom. They've done this consistently to Nintendo owners saying one thing, doing another as far back as 20 years ago on the N64. Sadly and still annoyingly it should be NO surprise. They wonder why people don't buy their stuff on Nintendo platforms? Because they don't properly if at all support them on Nintendo platforms, that's why. Afraid of competing against the one hardware maker who excels at first party goods? Cowards perhaps? So afraid of releasing 20-30 year old games that much? Is your budget so scary thin it can't be afforded to the Nintendo crowd? I'm not going to get all butthurt and cry that I'll warez your games and pirate the crap out of it, as it's not worth the effort to do it. There's plenty of games from dozens of other developers, 100s looking back at the dead, so you're basically a relic that needs to just fall to the pages of history if you can't deliver anymore like you once did long ago.

Edited by Tanooki

Hopefully 9 & 10 will include all of the DLC on disc. The trailer mentions that you can play as Bass in MM10, who was a paid DLC character. There were also extra stages/modes as DLC add-ons... since they're only offering four games this time I hope they'll at least be 'complete' versions.

• Like 1

No they're apparently not, and yes it is. 3DS I'd understand as it did have those slowness issues in places, but Switch there's zero excuse other than Capcom playing favorites yet again on another generation of nintendo hardware. I kind of feel bad buying USF2 now. If I knew they were going to pull these antics again I'd have just banned them from my shelf from the beginning.

After the Wii U, I really don't blame publishers for being cautious. At least Capcom has been testing the waters, which is more than can be said for most.

If this is the success that it looks set to be, I bet Capcom will be ramping up support soon. And one good thing with these compilations is that when it happens, we're not talking about major AAA releases that will be yesterday's news. There's no reason Capcom won't be able to succeed with belated releases of these collections, and we might even get superior versions like the Mega Man Collection that we should've got on day 1 with all 10 games.

So I suspect this situation will be rectified by this time a year from now. The thing I can't agree with is why the still successful 3DS isn't getting these two most recent collections. After Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 made it there, that decision is a much harder one to defend, especially with no next-gen Nintendo version on store shelves.

Edited by Atariboy