IGNORED

Which 5200 emulator works well with Win7

bigfriendly

Hello,

Most of the post concerning emulation for the 5200 appear to be very dated. Could anybody recommend an emulator that works well with Windows 7? If their are multiple options I would like the one that is the simplest for a non-tech guy like me to install and use.

Thanks

Scott:)

• 1 month later...

I would like to suggest Altirra. Admitedly, I have really only used it for it's XL/XE capabilities, but it is a top notch emulator. I would be surprised if it's 5200 emulation wasn't equally as good. Altirra works great on Windows 7.

I just starting using it on Windows 7 (never used it before) and I haven't had any problems other than how unintuitive the software can be.

Yeah I like Altirra and I use it on Windows 8. i had issues with other emulators with the sound etc. but Altirra works great. It is a little unituitive sometimes for 5200 stuff. Just some quicky guides

1. System -> Hardware -> "5200"
2. File -> boot image, then select game. It will come up with a "Cartridge Mapper".. usually the first or 2nd will work. If not, try again
3. Input -> Input Mappings -> Select "Keyboard -> 5200 Controller (Port 1)", then select click "quick map". With the mappings in there. I found that the f2, f3, keys didn't work for what it was supposedly mapped to (start & pause) so I had to edit to make the start button something else like the Tab key, and that worked for games like Joust, etc. . Also I had to figure out the "-" and "=" keys are the * and # keys on the 5200 joystick.
4. full screen = ALT-ENTER.. and of course the other video options in the menu.
Edited by NE146
  • Like 1