IGNORED

Soulbuster's Non-Variant List of Homebrew Games Released

hey, that's not what the superheros do!

Unless you are willing to take the responsability for what has happened and to disapper for a while to save the situation.

The Dark Captain Eyeroll Rises

I just don't want to get pink-eye cooties from exposing my rolling eyes to this mess. :grin:

This is not meant to minimize how you feel artrag. I would feel the same if it happened to me, but Gyruss is a homebrew that has been sold to the public.

By my count there are 54 titles + or - on the list where I believe no permission was given by the IP holder to create them. In a lot of cases the original code was used.

Do I need to take those off the list and leave only licensed/original titles? That would make a list of 30 "legitimate" titles.

I am leaning towards adding it.

It is a variant (an illegal one). As it is a non-variant list perhaps list after Deep Zone with the caveat it was theft or an incomplete bootleg.

Edited by BBWW

I may be egoistic here, but I wouldn't put at the same level coding from scratch an unlicensed version of a 30 y.o. game whose I. P. holders are dead or simply too big to care, with stealing the sources of a modern homebrew shared to the public for educational purposes, changing the title and trying to sell it at 150 pretending to be the author...

That people should go in jail, that was a fraud attempt. It was not only immoral but openly illegal.

To me those people and their game should be removed from the scene.

No. I disagree. Gyruss is much worst then everything you have mentioned.

They have taken my free game, repacked it with their names an a different title (that they do not have the right to use, but this is ancillary) and tried to sell it as Gyruss at 150€

It has on a different level, another thing much worst than developing a game (from scratch) without having the right to use the name of it.

Developing the port of a classic game for a different platform, even if you do not own the rights for that game, is the result of study, work and dedication.

There is no art or value in stealing the code of someone else and pretend it is yours.

For me, after what they have done, their names and the name of their crapware should be erased away from this forum.

If you list their game, that game will become a "collectible", the same as the others.

Do you know what is damnatio memoriae ? That is the sole thing that they deserve.

Edited by artrag

Artrag is absolutely correct. Except the intellivision gyruss programmer has said that the offending version of the cartridge was scrapped and rewritten from scratch.

There are a couple of other cartridges on the list (Laser Sharks and Smurf Rescue) which are variations of other cartridges.

Artrag is absolutely correct. Except the intellivision gyruss programmer has said that the offending version of the cartridge was scrapped and rewritten from scratch.

There are a couple of other cartridges on the list (Laser Sharks and Smurf Rescue) which are variations of other cartridges.

They claimed that the "offending version" (my stolen code) has taken 1 year of their work or more and now you believe that in about 1 month they have coded the game from scratch ?

The offending version has been retired after they have started to sell it. And the other version has been rewritten, not from scratch, but from my game as well in few days (about 1 month).

Your post is as offending as "their" game

Edited by artrag

Developing the port of a classic game for a different platform, even if you do not own the rights for that game, is the result of study, work and dedication.

There is no art or value in stealing the code of someone else and pretend it is yours.

Some of those games I mentioned were not written from scratch. Original code in its entirety was used. They are less that legal and I am applying the same generalization to Gyruss.

I guess that answer gets me off the fence. Gyruss will be added. Since I have not played it, it will be listed separately as I do not know that the gameplay is the same as yours.

You feel offended by mr_me's post?!? Offended by someone's opinion, which was expressed very politely and because it's different from yours? You'd better calm down

Well, it wasn't meant to be an opinion; only reporting what's been said. Artrag is right that there are questions with what is on that cartridge. Maybe someone has more information.

Some of those games I mentioned were not written from scratch. Original code in its entirety was used. They are less that legal and I am applying the same generalization to Gyruss.

I see elsewhere here on AtariAge that people keep games and hacks thereof separate. Perhaps you could make two lists, one of released games and one of released hacks, and consider e.g. Gyruss one of the latter.

• Like 1

Sure, they have modified my game, now (and the results are disappointing).

But what they were selling was exactly A beta of Deep Zone with their names and a different title.

I think the right wording is "Gyruss (unauthorized hack of earlier Deep Zone game released at Atariage)"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...