IGNORED

What do you think are the worst games on Atari?

Darren01274

I have to say I dont remember a lot of the games when I was a kid, but the worse game and port I come across is Double Dragon so far.

But overall, I am loving the Atari again. Was playing games on Stella Emulator but that wasnt doing it for me. I needed to own another proper Atari woody :-)

• Like 1

A lot of it was due to rushing the game out and not putting any time and effort into making a quality game. Lot of the games in late '82 and '83 were given weeks to make instead of months. And if you want to program a game and develop one in a short amount of time. It is going to be garbage.

Such a shame though, could have had a lot more great titles for the system :-(

All the Mythicon games, all the Froggo games, nearly all the "RealSports" games(Tennis and Volleyball are okay), all of the Swordquest games, Quadrun and Double Dragon rank among the top of the worst of the 2600 games I've played.

I'd rather play Sneak 'n Peak than these. :lol:

• Like 2

...nearly all the "RealSports" games(Tennis and Volleyball are okay), all of the Swordquest games, Quadrun and Double Dragon rank among the top of the worst of the 2600 games I've played.

You seem to be confusing (deliberately or otherwise) "most disappointing" with "worst". Everything that you listed is technically well-executed and at worst adequate from a gameplay perspective.

Clown Downtown!!!

Or as me and my friend use to call it: Bongo Fox, because, well the in-game protagonist looks like a cross between a fox and a giant bulgy bong.

And that's the first thing you think of that goddamned character if you didn't yet learn the official name from the printed instructions' booklet or label. (Which is the case here, as it was on a pirate 128-in-one hacked ROMs compilation built into the "2600 Game Compatible" chinclone machine.)

Now this is fucking dreadfull. Not only the weird but very technically advanced graphics that are mocked to death with such sick joke of a gameplay, but also the wacky jump animation that just blows your mind with utter stupidity... And ultimately, the mind-drilling chilly fucking screech of a repetitive noise, composed of primitive notes which make the brain bleed with aggressive kind of monotony.

Phewe, it's just THAT bad.

:D

Edited by Mef

You seem to be confusing (deliberately or otherwise) "most disappointing" with "worst". Everything that you listed is technically well-executed and at worst adequate from a gameplay perspective.

Well, to be disappointed in something, you must first have some expectations based on experiences, heresay or knowledge. I went in on these games blind BITD, reading no reviews whatsoever. My expectations, being that they were video games, thought they'd be fun at least. Every one of them fail to provide any real enjoyment, therefore, I consider them the worst of the worst. Technically, they all suck IMO and I thought that's what the OP is asking about in this thread.

When you talk about adequacy, I think of games like Pac-Man, Burgertime, E.T., etc. Those are far more playable and fun than the other stuff I mentioned and consider them far from the "worst" available on the system.

Skeet Shoot, Karate, and Scuba Diver/Sea Hunt come to mind as being especially rough. They are poor in every category that matters, to varying degrees, and none of them are especially fun to play, except maybe for a mild chuckle or a "holy shit, this is terrible" kind of laugh. Scuba Diver would actually be an okay game (not great, not awful) if you weren't frozen and defenseless whenever you enter the water or fire a harpoon.

Double Dragon is almost a really good game (by 2600 standards), marred somewhat by its murderous difficulty. You shouldn't have to master one single move and spam it ad infinitum to be able to get anywhere in the game.

Sneak 'N' Peek might be one of the dumbest concepts for a video game ever, but at least there's a little production value.

Airlock is pretty poor by most accounts, but my problem with it is that the whole game is only one screen long. IIRC there isn't even a score. Just get out of the submarine and that's it. It at least has an ending, though, which is sort of unusual for the time.

Sorcerer was kind of a let down for me.

Most sports games (Bowling was just plain wrong) stunk, although I really liked the Summer Games, Winter Games, California Games.

I could do without River Raid (although It can be fun at times, I guess, and I make it a personal policy not to attack Activision games as they are usually pretty sweet. H.E.R.O, Kaboom, Star Master, Keystone Kapers, Pitfall!, Pitfall! 2, Kung Fu Master, Rampage, Ghostbusters, are all must own games.)!

Frogger is usually considered a good game, but once you've played the Super Charger version the cartridge seems bland.

Now there are a lot not mentioned here of course, but I did manage to offer up more good one's than bad and still stay on-subject! Positive. :D

For me it's definitely Apollo's Racquetball. I got it as part of a lot a few years ago. I tried playing it for 10 minutes, and was only able to hit the ball once. That pseudo 3-D space just doesn't work for me. It's the only one of my 120+ games that I've never played again after the initial try. Has anyone here actually been able to play this game?

• Like 1

For me it's definitely Apollo's Racquetball. I got it as part of a lot a few years ago. I tried playing it for 10 minutes, and was only able to hit the ball once. That pseudo 3-D space just doesn't work for me. It's the only one of my 120+ games that I've never played again after the initial try. Has anyone here actually been able to play this game?

Raquetball is one of those games I *want* to like, but I just can't get the hang of it. The thing where the ball's shadow is on every wall in the room at the same time is really disorienting. I'll have to give it another try.

• Like 1

HAHA quality! Why was they so many bad games made for such a good system? I think they did a great job with the likes of Kung Fu Master, more games like that would have been fab

That's a weird question, as every console has a huge range of stinkers. Take the NES for example, numerous bad games made for a good system.

Raquetball is one of those games I *want* to like, but I just can't get the hang of it. The thing where the ball's shadow is on every wall in the room at the same time is really disorienting. I'll have to give it another try.

My sentiments exactly. I enjoy Activision's Tennis, which also uses a ball shadow to convey depth, and it works perfectly. I was hoping Racquetball would be a fun variation on Tennis, but somehow they managed to get the shadow thing completely wrong. Constantly missing the ball just gets frustrating.

The fantastic art work and build up for the contest/prizes has always put the Swordquest series on top of the shit heap for me. Agree with the other posters about racquetball and skeet shoot. Games were virtually unplayable and both belong in the long list of the hall of shame for the 2600.

post-9143-0-60131800-1439122221_thumb.jpg

post-9143-0-25008400-1439122255_thumb.jpg

post-9143-0-14527400-1439122272_thumb.jpg

post-9143-0-77906200-1439122301_thumb.jpg

post-9143-0-43563300-1439122315_thumb.jpg

(...) Scuba Diver/Sea Hunt come to mind as being especially rough. (...) mild chuckle or a "holy shit, this is terrible" kind of laugh. Scuba Diver would actually be an okay game (not great, not awful) if you weren't frozen and defenseless whenever you enter the water or fire a harpoon.

That! So true, mate. I was actually trying to get somewhere in that game, but it was just so broken by that defendelessness!

As for "holy shit, this is terrible" kind of laug, I also enjoy Ski Hunt a lot. It's just so mind-boggling that the graphics are quite advanced but you're just slaloming down the slope, stopping for a random shooting rampage to kill off some wildlife! And all that accompanied yet again (as in with Clown Downtown) with a horrible repetitive tune that just changes pitch, sometimes mutating into some really crazy sounds.

It's so bad it's actually crazy entertaining in its own way. Makes for a great party game, not because of the drunken competition tho, but because you just need some sort of intoxication to fully enjoy what the hell is going on. I myself really like to fire it up for the giggles when I'm stoned.

:grin:

Another one that keeps you amused in the tone of "whoa, that's fucking BAD" is Mr. Postman, or as I call it - Retard Bear.:

Edited by Mef
  • Like 1