IGNORED

Nice Ice 2

atari2600land

This is a game based on level 3 of my old Jack and the Beanstalk game for the 2600. Only it's for the Odyssey 2. And instead of finding the harp and goose, you need to find Santa Claus, his magic unfillable bag of presents, and the magic Candy Cane. But the thing is: I am wondering about the size of the maze. Is it big enough? And good luck trying to find the items, they're not programmed in yet. It's just Blitzen the reindeer going around a maze. This took at least 5 or 6 hours (not in a row!) to do. The maze is the biggest it can possibly be, but I still have another 1,024 bytes left to do stuff. (In case you're wondering why I can't make the maze bigger, it's because Odyssey 2 code is divided into "pages" and the page that the maze is held in is filled up. There possibly is a way to make a bigger maze, but I don't know how.) What I plan to do is add a timer and what items you've got so far down at the bottom of the screen. So guide Blitzen through the maze and tell me if it's an okay size for hunting for three items.

Press ACTION on the title screen to begin.

niceicetwo6.bin

I am busy adding Santa into the game. This is my first attempt. The game has gotten all weird on me and won't let me program what I'd like to do, so Santa will have to be a character instead of his self in the original Nice Ice. I really try to avoid using the little man character, but if all else fails, I will have to use it.

niceicetwo11b.bin

I played this for a good 30 minutes. 15 on O2EM and 15 on real hardware. Every time, the three objects showed up. I thought on real hardware it didn't once, but I guess I missed a room somehow because I eventually found the missing bag. So when you get a chance, play this and see if all three objects show up for you.

niceicetwo12a.bin

Actually, I still have problems with it. The cane always shows up, but Santa and the bag do not show up sometimes. In spite of that, I added a timer. That took a lot of work to do. I also repositioned some of the characters and changed the reindeer's boundaries for this to work. The timer will stop once it reaches ten minutes. I am going to redesign the maze when the random function gets fixed. I am going to add some dead ends into the maze. Right now, it's too easy to go through all the rooms since they all have the maximum number of exits.

niceicetwo13a.bin

OK, so here is another attempt to fix the bag and Santa not showing up. This involves a new value called "addition" which serves its purpose since I cut the random number getting from 31 down to 15. The addition number, a random number between 0-7, is added to the bag and Santa's value (which is now anywhere between 1-15), so since 15+7=22, it fits in my game, since it has 23 rooms. Let me know if I did something wrong.

EDIT: Forgot to check if bag room = 0 or not.

niceicetwo13aa.bin

Edited by atari2600land

So I added a finish. You get all the three items, then go back and exit level 1 to the left. If you do, you'll see your finishing time. You can press ACTION to start a new game, also. What's next is to redo the maze rooms so they will be more difficult and have dead ends and stuff.

niceicetwo14.bin

• 2 months later...