IGNORED

Snafu

My nephews love to play Snafu, although they usually play the Aquarius version since I always have an Aquarius hooked up on my bench.

If you're interested in seeing the arcade game which most obviously inspired Sanfu, here is Checkmate, a black-and-white Midway game from 1977:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jnDYrCW1c

• Like 3

Slightly off topic, but I always used to wish there was a way to play it 4 player using the extra controller ports on the ECS module. How easy do you think it would be to modify it for 4 players?

Personally, I think it would be a LOT easier to just re-write it in IntyBASIC for four players. Snafu is a rather primitive game. Don't get me wrong, it's cool and works rather well, but it is not exactly taxing in graphics, AI, or game mechanics.

-dZ.

Personally, I think it would be a LOT easier to just re-write it in IntyBASIC for four players. Snafu is a rather primitive game. Don't get me wrong, it's cool and works rather well, but it is not exactly taxing in graphics, AI, or game mechanics.

Making the AI for the computer controlled opponents in this kind of game is an interesting exercise. Its harder than you first think to make a computer opponent play the game well.

Making the AI for the computer controlled opponents in this kind of game is an interesting exercise. Its harder than you first think to make a computer opponent play the game well.

Maybe, but as far as games go, this one is rather simple to tackle. Besides, with a four player version, you don't need computer opponents. ;)

Maybe, but as far as games go, this one is rather simple to tackle.

I agree that it wouldn't take long to get something up and running in coloured squares mode. But you'll spend a long time on AI for computer players. You end up computing areas and deciding if you want to "turn into" them. Its a gain territory to win kind of game.

Besides, with a four player version, you don't need computer opponents. ;)

It'd be a good party game or for retro events.