IGNORED

Atari 8-Bit Keyboard Language Versions

Serblander

After picking up an Arabic NAJM Atari 65XE i started searching for info on it. That led me to someone stating they had a Hebrew Atari 8-Bit (both with keyboard and OS variants). I'm wondering what other Atari 8-Bit computers came with different language variations? Is there a list that shows all different Atari 8-Bit computer keyboard language versions? I tried searching the Forums but only found keyboard variations - not language / OS variants. Would love to find out more (and collect) other Non-English Atari's :)

The Arabic 65XE is the only language variant manifactured by Atari. The Hebrew version was AFAIK an upgrade by a local distributor, with stickers on keycaps and swapped OS ROM chip.

Thanks for the info! At least my wallet can relax now :D So Atari only made other keyboard language versions starting from the 16-Bit range. I was wondering if there was possibly a Polish XE considering the popularity of Atari 8-Bit in that region.

Well, PZ Karen, the servicing branch of our authorized distributor, offered installation of Polish ROM in your computers (and Polish or Russian ROMs in your 1029 printer.) They also sold the 65XEs with this ROM preinstalled. The computers had custom labels with the model name changed to "128XT" or "192XT", referring to the expanded RAM which was also included. But they didn't have custom keycap stickers.

Here's Karen's paper flyer.

• Like 1

I don't know Polish but if I understand the flyer correctly they came with BASIC XE installed, probably without a license... Would also be interesting to know the Zloty value at that time and what an average salary was to put the prices in perspective.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

I don't know Polish but if I understand the flyer correctly they came with BASIC XE installed, probably without a license...

That's correct. But copying of software was unregulated (ie. legal) in Poland until 4 February 1994, so even the official distributor could do it without repercussions.

Would also be interesting to know the Zloty value at that time and what an average salary was to put the prices in perspective.

Googleable sources vary, but the average yearly salary in 1988 was around 600000 - 800000 zł. According to "Polityka" Apr. 1989,, the black market exchange rate of USD was 1400 zł in January, 1400 zł in June, and 3800 zł in December. At the time, hyperinflation was just breaking out.

And such a machine would be a nice collector's item...

Jerzy Sobola, who worked at Karen back in the day, claims only a few units were manufactured, and provides a few photos.