IGNORED

Replacing an Atari 5200 RF Cable

GoldenWheels

Hi guys, I recently bought a 5200 for parts (I have a working 2 port with a good back lid and a bad case/faceplate, this one has a bad back lid but a mint faceplate and a nice case) and this one does not have an RF cable attached--but the seller reports it did work years ago (i know, everyone says that). I see what I THINK looks like a simple plug and play port where I believe the RF cable should be, right between the main RF shielding and the smaller metal box on the upper right. Can I just plug a cable in there and run it out the back? Is it possibly that simple?

$_57.JPG

If it IS that simple....do I run the risk of hurting my power supply trying it on what may be a busted system?

Yes, it is ALMOST that simple.... that plug you speak of is exactly where the original one went. In many cases, a standard RCA cord will work, but sometimes the inner prong/tip is too long. On the original cable, the tip is shorter that your standard RCA cord. At least this has been my experience. I would assume if you had a standard RCA cable that had a longer inner tip, maybe you could just cut it down shorter.

As for the power supply, I don't think there is any way you could damage it. The only thing that could get hurt should be the console. Maybe someone else could confirm this.

• Like 1

Yes, it is ALMOST that simple.... that plug you speak of is exactly where the original one went. In many cases, a standard RCA cord will work, but sometimes the inner prong/tip is too long. On the original cable, the tip is shorter that your standard RCA cord. At least this has been my experience. I would assume if you had a standard RCA cable that had a longer inner tip, maybe you could just cut it down shorter.

As for the power supply, I don't think there is any way you could damage it. The only thing that could get hurt should be the console. Maybe someone else could confirm this.

Jeremy thanks so much man! I actually googled and dug up a three year old thread here which said much the same thing you did, but I really appreciate it the response/corroboration. I have my fingers crossed that this parts machine will soon be a real working 5200.

And I believe you are right about the routing as well, there is that slot in the board at the front for the cord, then a guide underneath the board on the bottom casing. My plan is that if the 5200 is working, I will use one of these:

$_12.JPG

And run a good length of shielded RG6 right out of the 5200. I always seem (at least it's true of my 7800) to get a better signal using and rca to f adapter first and then using rg6 for the cord, as opposed to a standard rca cord and then using an RCA to f on the TV end. Less ghosting interference etc.

Edited by GoldenWheels