IGNORED

Found a Sega Saturn steering wheel in a trash can!

So far for me, salvaged from the trash :

- 3 Playstation; all fat models, from each revision (first release with RCA output, one without them but all ports, and a latter one with the new menu) one of them had a defective pad ports and one other would not detect the disc (I shorted the damaged contact and it works fine now).

- One CPC 464 : worked fine but there is loading issues now,might be a tape player issue.

- One Acer Aspire 7220 laptop, from which I type this message :D

- Hards drives, the most noticeable being a fine, SMART wise, Western Digital 1To (!)

- One Philips N4144 reel to reel player deck. Hat to replace belts, but works fine otherwise.

and various power supplies and other lil things :o

I once found a 2600 joystick and a battered DK Jr. cartridge in the dumpster beside my apartment building (oddly no console, however).

On other occasions, I have found various printer cables and, recently, a HDMI video cable.

In the past, ive found everything from tvs, to dvd players, and the occasional game system. Found a couple 2600's in the trash. Once found a Colecovision. A PS2, an Intellivision. I dont find as much where i live versus where i lived before but i still find alot of tv sets since i collect older crt sets. I recently picked up a 56" HDTV projection set capapble of 1080i. Just yesterday, i picked up an RCA 46" projection set manufactured in 82. Had a sign on it that said "good tv works free".

Once I found many empty Colecovision boxes. Wheel module, dozens of games, etc. They were dumped in I think '94. I didn't salvage it as the dumpster was at apartment and all the boxes were covered with assorted colored stinky smelling goo.

Still have no idea who threw those out or why wait 10 years later. I am hoping it was thrown out only because they were damaged in storage and not because of space issues.

That would have been a nice haul had it not been for the goo. Thats about the time i found a colecovision and 18 games for $50 in the local paper and went to the guys house to pick up. Remember it like it was yesterday. Was probably more around 91 or so. Memeories. As for the wheel, i'll test it whenever i get a saturn. Even if it needs repair, i'll probably fix it.

• 5 months later...

Cool find, though I don't think I've ever had the guts (or stomache) to go digging in someone's trash for the .00000001% chance of finding anything gaming related.

didn't have to "dig". Reason I stopped is because I could see something standing up out of the can. When I stopped to check it out, it was just sitting on top of a black bag. All my years of finding systems, cartridges, and accessories in dumpsters, not once have I ever touched something less than clean. Most of the items at the goodwill bin were clean donated clothes, hangers, candles, kitchenware, etc. No actual kitchen garbage.

Only thing I've ever gotten out of the trash was a Power Macintosh G3 Blue & White. Was at my buddies apartment and saw it sitting on the ground right next to the dumpster. It was perfectly clean, but when I picked it up something was rattling around inside. Took it home, wiped it all down with disinfectant, found out the rattling sound was just the ram sticks which were loose for some reason so I plugged 'em back in, and just recently dedicated the time to installing OS 9.2.2 on it.

Other than that in the garbage around here you pretty much only find, well, garbage. Good find though! Hope you wiped it down with disinfectant before you used it.

Only thing I've ever gotten out of the trash was a Power Macintosh G3 Blue & White. Was at my buddies apartment and saw it sitting on the ground right next to the dumpster. It was perfectly clean, but when I picked it up something was rattling around inside. Took it home, wiped it all down with disinfectant, found out the rattling sound was just the ram sticks which were loose for some reason so I plugged 'em back in, and just recently dedicated the time to installing OS 9.2.2 on it.

Other than that in the garbage around here you pretty much only find, well, garbage. Good find though! Hope you wiped it down with disinfectant before you used it.

Some years back, I found a few of those at separate times and locations. Blue, green, and maybe others. Been awhile. Never kept very long as I've never really use mac os.

Pulled a nice comfy office chair out of the trash once. Was shocked to see it in such great condition. I sorta half expected it to be either be broken or maybe smell like farts since it had been inside a giant bin. LOL.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1