IGNORED

Tossing out video games(yes, garbage)

S1500

Last weekend, I bought "Mojo" for the PS2 for $2. After 5 minutes of playing it, I realized why it was $2. It's just a bad, uninvolved game. Then I did something I only done once before: I tossed in the garbage. I could have done the Half Price Books route(returning it back to where it came from), donated it, traded it, craigslisted it, but instead, it went in the garbage can.

The empty shelf space was worth more to me than was keeping a game I'll never play.

Then I looked around the shelf to try another PS2 game. It was weird seeing game save files that were 10+ years old. Burnout:Domination. I must have played it for 2 minutes before getting frustrated with the first race where it pauses the game every 10 seconds if you don't get boost. I got quite a bit further in the game, only to get a bit past 6%.

That too I'm considering tossing out. Burnout to me has been bad after 2.

Have you done this before? Just threw a game in the garbage? Many years from now, "Mojo" is not going to have any collector value. Madden games could be used to re-roof a house at this point.

Felt like I did a bit of growing up in my life where I would just rather toss it instead of jumping through hoops to get rid of it, or "recycle" it. Free game to a future dumpster diver.

Burnout 3 was the peak - It was still fun and playable, even tho EA had their dirty mitts on it. Paradise feels a lot like a souless version of Burnout 3.

I usually just throw games I don't want in the box with what ever I've sold. Kinda like a free gift.

• Like 1

Burnout 3 was the peak - It was still fun and playable, even tho EA had their dirty mitts on it. Paradise feels a lot like a souless version of Burnout 3.

I usually just throw games I don't want in the box with what ever I've sold. Kinda like a free gift.

When I mailed Ferg his golden poddie, I threw in a few uncommon 2600 games, which would later be used in a prize for a 2600 "Lot".

I had Burnout 3, but got ultra-frustrated on the preview race(with the formula 1 racecar) where i kept crashing in the toll booths. I gave up the game. Odd since I was able to drift around corners perfectly in Burnout 2 and get all golds. I "beat" the game. 1 seemed like a boring Sunday drive. Dominator, on most races = I never get boost. Also, no crash mode in Dominator, which everyone loved.

Sure, I've tossed out worthless videogame stuff before. Very common Odyssey2 carts, for example. I feel a little guilty doing that, but in the end I don't feel a responsibility to preserve absolutely everything I come across.

Sure, I've tossed out worthless videogame stuff before. Very common Odyssey2 carts, for example. I feel a little guilty doing that, but in the end I don't feel a responsibility to preserve absolutely everything I come across.

Keep those O2 carts and inform people in that thread. We will make sure they end up in the hands of one of the homebrew developers to put put to better use!

• Like 1

I recently purged my PS 2 collection of games that I will never play/don't enjoy/were disk only in an attempt to save space. These went to charity, however, rather than the garbage. They were not worth the effort of selling.

There is a charity donation facility just a few blocks from my apartment, so I when I accumulate enough stuff (usually paperback books), I take it there.

Keep those O2 carts and inform people in that thread. We will make sure they end up in the hands of one of the homebrew developers to put put to better use!

It's a little late for that, as I sold off all my O2 stuff quite a while back. :)

I have Mojo; got it real cheap, like you, a few years ago.I wouldn't be so sure it will be worthless in the future. Somebody might just buy the rights to it, make a movie about it with Tom Cruise (or whoever the new guy is), sell Mojo toys at McDonalds, and turn it into a mega franchise. THEN you'll be kicking yourself. Mine's still shrinkwrapped, but only because I never got around to it.

I haven't even turned on my PS2 in at least 4 years. There are only a couple of PS2 games I really like, but even THEY aren't that unique. I should probably just find another home for the whole neglected, unimpressive collection of mostly mediocre PS2 games.

I doubt if I'd throw anything even remotely possibly potentially useful away. Even if I couldn't find someone to give it to, I'd rather donate it and let them throw it away.

Well, possible exceptions might include a PS2 game case without the artwork or instructions or disk with a broken spindle, or a disassembled Atari aftermarket joystick with missing or broken parts. Even then I would probably try to fix it first.

As I get many games from garage sales, here and there, I buy games in lot, so I end up with shit like the complete PES 2001-2012 collection.

While I do not want to keep those games and I know they have no value whatsoever, I recycle them.

Games boxes are standard, so they are replacement for my other games that need one. Game disks make nice bird chasers onge handed in a tree.

And the notice and cover? Recycled.

If they are carts... I never felt like throwing carts. I prefer to keep them up for trading, or giving, or homebrew stuff if that happen.

But I only ever had a handful of games I did not wanted on carts. And they weren't even bad games, they were just games I had no interest into.

I still prefer to continue to pass on games that I thought were worthless, but then I figured that if someone's willing to pay shipping, they can have it. The only ones I tossed were scratched up (even if mostly playable) or EA sports games that no one wanted to pay shipping on. Only discs, though. Discs are really worthless, whereas carts can be redeemed for homebrew/repros.

Yeah, I rarely ever toss anything game related - ever, save for maybe arcade stuff (lockdown bars, aprons, legs, boards, displays, coin doors, coils, rotor assemblies, etc.). I do usually try to find homes for them first. Heck, even old scratched up pinball glass usually finds its way to someone that can use it before it gets tossed or recycled.

Still even have some worthless PS3 games I bought new, just to rob the cases for. Disney's Sing It comes to mind. Sits in my box of misc. crap I hope to unload on someone someday. Might have to do the random box of crap for someone soon! lol

I've thrown a few 2600 games that never worked and a Sega Genesis cart. Quite a number of game CDs, they scratch and fails easily so when I am looking at used CD games, i check for any defect. One tiny hairline scratch and it's no sale.

I think I've thrown away only one working game cart: Glib for 2600 because it sucked shit back then. 15 years before I found internet and found that I threw away $100.

S1500, on 11 Aug 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

Last weekend, I bought Mojo for the PS2 for $2. After 5 minutes of playing it, I realized why it was $2. It's just a bad, uninvolved game. Then I did something I only done once before: I tossed in the garbage. I could have done the Half Price Books route(returning it back to where it came from), donated it, traded it, craigslisted it, but instead, it went in the garbage can.

icemanxp300, on 11 Aug 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

I personally like Mojo. I like puzzle games though. I only toss stuff that is in very bad condition. Something like mojo only if it was completely scratched and unplayable would I toss it, I however would keep the case.

I get disc only games a lot and those empty cases come in handy.

I also like PS2 Mojo, reminds me of the Arcade game Marble Madness in a different aspect. This game is played best with a Smartjoy Frag and a Trakball emulating the Arcade game control. Aha! Now go dig that game out of the trash. Even if you do not like a game, its worth keeping in case you might want to try years later.

Edited by CRTGAMER

It's wasteful, but I've taken a hammer to games like Robodemons for the NES and Rise 2 Resurrection for the Saturn. I think Robodemons has gotten harder to find (whoops!), but in my defense, they were REALLY BAD GAMES.

As for Mojo, wasn't that by Far Sight Technologies? You know, the people who brought us Action 52 for the Genesis. I'm pretty sure one of the games on that crapfest was a caveman ancestor of Mojo. I still make a habit of avoiding Far Sight's games, although they kinda sorta made up for their past sins with that arcade pinball series.

It's wasteful, but I've taken a hammer to games like Robodemons for the NES and Rise 2 Resurrection for the Saturn. I think Robodemons has gotten harder to find (whoops!), but in my defense, they were REALLY BAD GAMES.

As for Mojo, wasn't that by Far Sight Technologies? You know, the people who brought us Action 52 for the Genesis. I'm pretty sure one of the games on that crapfest was a caveman ancestor of Mojo. I still make a habit of avoiding Far Sight's games, although they kinda sorta made up for their past sins with that arcade pinball series.

Wait, so you are telling me that Farsight, the company behind the beloved pinball recreations, was also responsible for the abomination also known as Action 52? Un-freakking-believable! :o

EDIT: holy crap!

http://www.farsightstudios.com/Games/

Edited by stardust4ever