IGNORED

Gamers, anyone?

Opry99er

How many gamers do we have on this forum? I know we have many brilliant programmers, historians, collectors, etc., but how many high-scoring, wrist-busting, game-marathoning bad asses do we have on here? Anyone rolled the score over on a classic TI game? I know other retro systems have some RABID and (bordering on) insane gamers as members of their communities, so how bout the TI?

At one point I was intent on getting a world record on TI Invaders, but I gave that up long ago. ;)

I ask because I would like to start a monthly high score competition where those of us who ARE gamers can learn and master a difderent TI game each month, and to the winners go the spoils. :)

If there are more than a couple freak gamers on here, I will start a thread and offer up the first prize.

Here's the catch... The winner must select the next month's game and offer the next month's prize. Doesn't have to be anything big... Could be something as simple as a common game cart, a cassette cable, whatever.

Anyway, if there is any interest, I'll fire up a thread and we can all snap our wrists trying to beat the high scores!

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 3

Count me in. I love game night! If I have other retro but non TI gamers over this gives me a perfect reason to play the system. Everyone loves a challenge right?

P.S. Judging by my score on rasmus' track n field challenge I will get my ass handed to me, but still sounds like a good time.

I got a game we could play... a race to see whomever can come up with an OSX GUI version of software that allows CF7+ and NanoPEB users the equivalent of drag and dropping TI files into their CF cards (and be useable) first! Winner gets a case of beer, their choice. :rolling:

• Like 1

Well.... Does that mean you're "in" save? ;)

I could be... so long as the game is something I have in my collection or among those found on the Games 1-6 multi-carts. Oh and Rasmus's 3-game multi-cart. :love:

Munchman - yay, I've got that. lol Will give it a go later this afternoon...

I'm not a gamer. Sometimes, I play games and only on very old games like TI-Invaders or Parsec on the TI-99/4A, on Ms Pacman (Cocktail) Donkey Kong jr. (Upright ) or Star Wars (Cockpit) arcade game that I have all built from scratch a few years ago. I play one or two times a month, sometimes less. (max. 30mn)

Here are the arcade cab that I have built:

msp.jpgmspi12.jpg
...My Wife love it! :-)

ndkjr9.jpgndkjr1.jpg

im75.jpgim71.jpg

I built the Star Wars Cockpit t without any plan, datasheet or official mesures (they were not available when I realized my project ) . I have just used some pictures of the real Cockit and I worked thanks to them, I guessed all the measures. There is no Atari original parts, I have remake all of them with woold, plastic and metal pieces. It was a fun project..A childhood dream :-)

More pictures and the construction details, step by step, here: http://fabrice.montupet.pagesperso-orange.fr/arcade/index.htm

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 8

I built the Star Wars Cockpit t without any plan, datasheet or official mesures (they were not available when I realized my project ) . I have just used some pictures of the real Cockit and I worked thanks to them, I guessed all the measures. There is no Atari original parts, I have remake all of them with woold, plastic and metal pieces. It was a fun project..A childhood dream :-)

Amazing. Very nice. My childhood favorite arcade-game. Fascinating at the time when I was so much into Star Wars. :)

I Thank you very much :-)

@Schmitzi: I have uploaded all my archive pictures, taken on the web in 2006 (some taken on ebay) that I have used to make the plans of the Cockpit. Here: http://www.ti99.com/misc/sw/starwars-archive-2006.zip (21Mb)

The only information that I had was the width, the length and height of the Cockpit (taken from an Atari advert). The rest was by feel. Later during the assembly of some wood parts that I have built, I noted that something was wrong... and after some calculation I had the suprise to see an error about the height on the Atari paper: It said 'Height: 59"5, 141 cm". I trusted the document, I was wrong because if we multiply 59.5 by 2.54, the result is not 141 but 151.3 cm !
My plans have been intensively modified during the construction, I had to adjust, add, cut parts so many times to obtain a this result.

In 2006, no one had tried to build this Cockpit from scratch. At the time, I read two messages from guys on a message board or a newsgroup (i don't remember) :

"Trust me, if you try to build one from scratch you'll end up spending more time and money in the long run and if you ever finish it you'll never be really happy with it."

"Trying to make one would be a waste of time. I say this because the artwork is unavailable; no matter how good your carpentry/art skills are"

So, making from scratch this cab was for me also a challenge :-)
I changed the original sidearts because, in the end, I found that they were too dated "80 years". And those I have created were more WAF compatible than the originals. It is also an important fact ;-)

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 1