IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

On 6/5/2022 at 4:57 AM, globeron said:

April - Robots of Death II

* globeron 2,070  zone 8 

May - Robots of Death 3

* globeron 29.600 wave 15

My apologises for not taking part in the compo. Especially to @Retrospect: mate, your games are great and I enjoyed giving them a taste... (I think I reached zone 3 in ROD2 and just looked at zone 1 in ROD3... not enough to post scores!)

Unfortunately since march I really have no time to have fun with games and with my TI in general! ?

Edited by Count9929A
more details
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Agree. We should only stick to fully released games for maximal enjoyment.

I am all okay to redo the competition in parallel for June with Pinball v1.0, according this post it is almost the same.  

. Hopefully more people joining the competition

21 hours ago, globeron said:

July - game competition:

Freddy - needs 32K

* RPK (for MAME,  Batocera,  www.JS99er.net) 

Freddy32KB8.rpk 12.98 kB · 4 downloads

* BIN    (for Classic99,  www.JS99er.net,  FinalGrom) 

Freddy32KB8.bin 32 kB · 8 downloads

FreddyTitle.png.c863342dec10bfe3876a57b4e5ee72ee.png

1353217424_Freddy(2).png.b4fe724af0be864eadfa7e6e3c092ce0.png

Alpha Lock Ausrasten! This was my and my kids’ favorite TI game back in the day.

I actually have an original Saurussoft disk of this one in my collection. As released, the game has an interesting quirk. If the disk it was on was a copy, the game would start fine and run for a while, before locking up the program and giving an error message to the effect: not an original disk. At that point, to had to quit and restart. Cracked versions eventually jumped over the code that initiated this, but it was an interesting way to protect the program yet give the pirates a nice functional demo to hopefully allow the programmer to sell more of the program. I seriously doubt that more than 75 copies were ever sold, unfortunately. Originals were also identified by serial number. . .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Cracked versions eventually jumped over the code that initiated this, but it was an interesting way to protect the program yet give the pirates a nice functional demo to hopefully allow the programmer to sell more of the program.

In my book, that kind of copy protection rules.  Take Spyro, for instance:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/spyro-year-of-the-dragon/Pirated_Copy_Effects

Also, ignore that the wobble of PlayStation discs is significant, and just enjoy the show.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I actually have an original Saurussoft disk of this one in my collection. As released, the game has an interesting quirk. If the disk it was on was a copy, the game would start fine and run for a while, before locking up the program and giving an error message to the effect: not an original disk. At that point, to had to quit and restart. Cracked versions eventually jumped over the code that initiated this, but it was an interesting way to protect the program yet give the pirates a nice functional demo to hopefully allow the programmer to sell more of the program. I seriously doubt that more than 75 copies were ever sold, unfortunately. Originals were also identified by serial number. . .

How would that work if someone used Copy-C or similar  (entire disk as bitmap copy or sector copy?). 

10 hours ago, globeron said:

How would that work if someone used Copy-C or similar  (entire disk as bitmap copy or sector copy?). 

Copy-C would copy the disk perfectly (I did that to make a backup of mine to use BITD and to keep my original safe).

On 7/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, Ksarul said:

Mine must have been a cracked version - I got it either off CompuServe TI forums or one of the local BBS's like TI-West or West-Dale. Late 80s or early 90s.

On 7/4/2022 at 2:13 AM, Ksarul said:

Copy-C would copy the disk perfectly (I did that to make a backup of mine to use BITD and to keep my original safe).

What I meant was then I guess the message will not come up “not an original disk” as it is an exact copy bit by bit.

7 hours ago, globeron said:

What I meant was then I guess the message will not come up “not an original disk” as it is an exact copy bit by bit.

Correct--the program considers the disk copy to be an original, as it has the same underlying disk architecture as the original disk did. Copy-C has always been my go-to program when making true-to-the-original copies for my own use.

• 3 weeks later...