IGNORED

Imagic Top Ten List

ZillaRUSH

Imagic games were always a fav...my Top 10 list...how would you rank em?

1. Beauty and the Beast

2. Dracula

3. Demon Attack

4. Atlantis

5. Nova Blast

6. Swords & Serpents

7. Tropical Trouble

8. Dragonfire

9. White Water

10. Ice Trek

Snubbed: Truckin, Microsurgeon, Fathom, Safecracker

Edited by ZillaRUSH

I must take umbrage at the lack of Microsurgeon! ;) I'd swap out White Water or Dragonfire. I enjoyed Dragonfire on the VCS, even though it had fewer features. Maybe because I played it more there, but the treasures were much more colorful and the controls seemed better. White Water is enjoyable, but it never engaged me as much as Microsurgeon.

Nova Blast is also on the bubble for me. The trickiest part for an Imagic list is that so many of their games are really top-tier graphically.

I played Dragonfire a lot, I really like this simple, fast and addictive gameplay. Its definitely not the best, but maybe the most entertaining Imagic Game for me. To be honest, I never got familiar with Truckin, Fathom, White Water or Swords & Serpents. I guess Truckin could be awesome from reading the manual, I really need to check it later.

From the games I played enough to get a opinion I would rank Dragonfire 1st (finally it entertains me and that is everything it should do), Ice Trek 3rd and Atlantis 3rd. Especially if you compare Atlantis to the VCS version its a great game.

This is my list:

1. White Water

2. Swords & Serpents

3. Ice Trek

4. Demon Attack

5. Dracula

6. Safecracker

It seems that these lists are very different each other.

Anyway, all the Imagic games are top quality, although the gameplay of some is not the best (f.i. Tropical Trouble)

Edited by intellivotion

Anyway, all the Imagic games are top quality, although the gameplay of some is not the best (f.i. Tropical Trouble)

Not really, in fact Dragonfire is pretty buggy. If you use the wrong button for jump the game crashes and you start at the title screen. I do not know if you have to use the upper or lower side button to prevent the game from crashing.

Hmmm. I wonder if that crashing bug in Dragonfire is PAL-specific?

If pressed, I'd put my top five as:

1. Beauty & the Beast
  2. Demon Attack
  3. Atlantis
  4. Microsurgeon
  5. Swords & Serpents

I really enjoyed almost all of their games. The most disappointing one to me, but maybe because I got it so much later, was Fathom. I just haven't 'grokked' it. It seemed to be a move in the 'least common denominator' direction. Is there anything really different or better than the Atari version, for example?

1. Microsurgeon

2. Atlantis

3. Swords & Serpents

4. Beauty and the Beast

5. Dragonfire

6. Dracula

7. Safecracker

8. White Water

9. Ice Trek

10. Tropical Trouble

Snubbed: Demon Attack, Nova Blast

Haven't played enough to evaluate: Fathom, Truckin'

I don't know why people like Demon Attack. The graphics are nice, sure, but the controls are totally bugged out, with little "hitches" in the lateral movement. The game itself is buggy, too, and has crashed on me at least once or twice. I'd much rather play the Atari version.

I don't know why people like Demon Attack. The graphics are nice, sure, but the controls are totally bugged out, with little "hitches" in the lateral movement. The game itself is buggy, too, and has crashed on me at least once or twice. I'd much rather play the Atari version.

[Jason rushes off to the pile to see if he has Demon Attack for Atari]...

...he does! I should play this. Any other suggestions for fun Atari games I should try while I have my Atari set up? :)

My list would be, based on what I play the most:

Beauty and the Beast

Atlantis

Demon Attack

Swords and Serpents

Ice Trek

Tropical Trouble

Dragonfire

Dracula

White Water

Nova Blast

I don't really play the other four that much at all. I really should try to dig into them all at some point.

I know you were all holding your breath waiting for it, so I'll let you off the hook. :lol: Here's my list:

1. Atlantis

2. Dracula

3. Microsurgeon

4. Atlantis

5. Dracula

6. Microsurgeon

7. Demon Attack

8. Beauty and the Beast

14. Dragonfire

15. Tropical Trouble

29. White Water

77. Ice Trek

When I play, most of the time I don't go beyond #5. :)

Edited by DZ-Jay

Why the hating on Tropical Trouble? It is definitely not the sequel I would have hoped for Beauty & The Beast, but it is imaginative with colorful graphics and is pretty fun.

And Microsurgeon so low on so many lists? The horror! What a unique and fascinating game that is, and even the only Intellivision title that is even a bit gross. At least DZ-Jay liked it enough to put it positions 3 and 6.

But I am glad to see Dracula on so many lists. Wish the game had longer play value (I often turn it off well before it appears the game would have ended naturally), but it is another of those deeply bizarre Intellivision exclusives that makes me love this system.

And as for White Water, that is justifiably low on all but one list so far. But what sticks with me about this game is it is the only game on any console where I feel very guilty about my characters dying. There is something about one of them falling off the raft, floating downstream and my consistent inability to rescue them from drowning that always has me apologize out loud.

On, one last thing: Ice Trek. I think that, above all other Intellivision games, I wish I loved or at least like this because it looks pretty freakin' awesome. I would say the second most game I feel this way towards is Truckin, because I usually love simulations and I always have had a secret dream of being a trucker (no, really).

Hmmm. I wonder if that crashing bug in Dragonfire is PAL-specific?

I dont know, may you try it out :) I guess it was the upper side button who causes the crashes, but not as you hit it, its more random. You can actually play with the button, til the game says "no".

But there are other flaws too, which I am pretty sure that they appear in the US too. The invisible black drafon. Its not a bug, but its also not smart to change the color of the dragon to black on a black screen. Or the leaving dragon, who thinks "well, get my stuff, I don't mind". Or the infinite fireballs. They leave the top of the screen and appear on the bottom to cross the screen again and again.

The collision detection is also a bit strange. You clearly hit an object, but you do not collect it for some reasons. All in all Dragonfire shows many lacks of quality, but its still a very entertaining game ^^

Not really, in fact Dragonfire is pretty buggy. If you use the wrong button for jump the game crashes and you start at the title screen. I do not know if you have to use the upper or lower side button to prevent the game from crashing.

If you like its "simple, fast and addictive gameplay" you should have to admit that even Dragonfire is top quality. Not the best graphics, ok, but at least it's very entertaining (top quality in the gameplay, don't you think? ;) )

Why the hating on Tropical Trouble? It is definitely not the sequel I would have hoped for Beauty & The Beast, but it is imaginative with colorful graphics and is pretty fun.

And Microsurgeon so low on so many lists? The horror! What a unique and fascinating game that is, and even the only Intellivision title that is even a bit gross. At least DZ-Jay liked it enough to put it positions 3 and 6.

But I am glad to see Dracula on so many lists. Wish the game had longer play value (I often turn it off well before it appears the game would have ended naturally), but it is another of those deeply bizarre Intellivision exclusives that makes me love this system.

And as for White Water, that is justifiably low on all but one list so far. But what sticks with me about this game is it is the only game on any console where I feel very guilty about my characters dying. There is something about one of them falling off the raft, floating downstream and my consistent inability to rescue them from drowning that always has me apologize out loud.

On, one last thing: Ice Trek. I think that, above all other Intellivision games, I wish I loved or at least like this because it looks pretty freakin' awesome. I would say the second most game I feel this way towards is Truckin, because I usually love simulations and I always have had a secret dream of being a trucker (no, really).

I find Tropical Trouble to be a cheap version of Tarzan (Jungle King), just like I find Beauty and the Beast to be a cheap knock-off of Donkey Kong. I find the control a bit wonky and inconsistent in both games.

Ice Trek I just cannot stand. Every time I try to play it, hoping that perhaps my dislike is unfounded and surely this time it'll be great; I re-discover its horrible unforgiving mechanics that require pixel-perfect precision on manoeuvering that hook while simultaneously offering buggy and laggy input detection. I also find it too much work to figure out how to get anything done, and the manual makes the input controls seem like complex steam-punk machinery.

I love Dracula, but my thumb hates those "biting" action buttons with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Most of the time I have to stop just because I can't bear the pain any more, rather than from getting bored. I guess I should try it now with the superior Flashback controllers.

Atlantis, well that's just a masterpiece of arcade action with beautiful graphics and sound effects. Plus it has a sci-fi storyline and spaceships, what's not to like?

And finally, Microsurgeon is just so unique and it just clicks with me. It was actually one of my favorite games as a kid, and I used to spend hours exploring those organs. To me it was always like living a Fantastic Voyage fantasy. :)

dZ.

• Like 1

If you like its "simple, fast and addictive gameplay" you should have to admit that even Dragonfire is top quality. Not the best graphics, ok, but at least it's very entertaining (top quality in the gameplay, don't you think? ;) )

Get your ass kicked by the unfair black dragon from 4 lives to 0 without any chance to avoid the fire and you may change your mind ;) In the gameplay its not top quality. I love this game, but that doesnt makes me blind for the many flaws in the game.

Edited by Ignorama