IGNORED

Easy ROM to CAR Utility

electrotrains

And in many cases, Im not even talking about large rom files. Im talking about actual released rom cartridges that clearly exist/existed in that format originally/natively but for whatever reason, as the years have passed, the only rom images you can find for them on the net are the ones that were modified from bin to xex.

You say you understand, but I think you don't.

The process of convertering ROMs to XEXs means that all cartridge-related code will be removed to make them work when loaded from disk. The XEX is just not a ROM anymore.

Regarding CAR:

.CAR is nothing weired, but a standard format to not only include the ROM content, but also a check sum and the information of the type of the ROM's PCB and bank switching.

If you have .CARs you an simply remove the first 16 bytes or use this:

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/atarirommaker

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong, but this tool isn't working for me. The original post just said to open the html file in a web browser, then drag and drop the files you want to convert. Well, below is all I get. It appears to be opening the same web site I originally downloaded it from and nothing is running. I use FireFox, but also tried it from Internet Explorer, Edge, and Chrome, all with the exact same results. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.

post-39087-0-88852900-1550951952_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong, but this tool isn't working for me. The original post just said to open the html file in a web browser, then drag and drop the files you want to convert. Well, below is all I get. It appears to be opening the same web site I originally downloaded it from and nothing is running. I use FireFox, but also tried it from Internet Explorer, Edge, and Chrome, all with the exact same results. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Okay, go the original source for the HTML code (https://github.com/robinhedwards/UltimateCart/blob/master/RomToCar.html) and click on the view at the right that says "RAW". Copy and paste that entire wall of text into any text editor and save that locally as "Rom2Car.html" When you open that in your browser, you should see this:

post-30400-0-45825800-1550961683_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Okay, go the original source for the HTML code (https://github.com/robinhedwards/UltimateCart/blob/master/RomToCar.html) and click on the view at the right that says "RAW". Copy and paste that entire wall of text into any text editor and save that locally as "Rom2Car.html" When you open that in your browser, you should see this:

attachicon.gifCapture3.JPG

Well, yeah, it seems so simple when you say it like that!

Everything seems to be working just fine now.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Well, yeah, it seems so simple when you say it like that!

Everything seems to be working just fine now.

Thanks!

Glad I could be of help! Enjoy - the UNO Cart (brother to the Ultimate) is one of the best things I've ever gotten for my Atari computers. :)

Yes, I'm thoroughly enjoying my AtariMax SIO2PC-USB, but I plan to purchase an Ultimate Cartridge and one of Lotharek's SIO2SDs soon. There will be very little, if anything, that I won't be able to run or access then!

If you build an SDrive-MAX (about $20 in parts) you'll even be able to enjoy playing disk images of un-altered/un-cracked copyprotected disk files (ATX files). :)

I've been looking into the SIO2SD and the SDrive-Max for some time. While both are awesome pieces of hardware and my hats are off to both developers, Lotharek's SIO2SD has the lead in advantages that I can see, at least in areas that are important to me.

drives/disks supported (15 instead of 4, important for some games contained in more than 4 disk)

disks selection/creation on the fly

being able to change disks on the fly without rebooting

long files names display (all files, not selected ones only)

And those are all important to me, while atx support isn't nearly as important, since almost every piece of software ever made available for the 8-bit line is available as a rom or atr image or as an xex file.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

I've been looking into the SIO2SD and the SDrive-Max for some time. While both are awesome pieces of hardware and my hats are off to both developers, Lotharek's SIO2SD has the lead in advantages that I can see, at least in areas that are important to me.

drives/disks supported (15 instead of 4, important for some games contained in more than 4 disk)

disks selection/creation on the fly

being able to change disks on the fly without rebooting

long files names display (all files, not selected ones only)

And those are all important to me, while atx support isn't nearly as important, since almost every piece of software ever made available for the 8-bit line is available as a rom or atr image or as an xex file.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Everyone needs to make their own decision about what features matter most to them, though I will point out that I can certainly select disks on the fly with my SDrive-Max, and I can create new ones and use them just fine as well (Atari DOS 2 or 2.5 works great, though I've had mixed results formatting new ones with SpartaDOS 3.2). Changing disks is also not a problem - it's a touch-screen device, after all. Selecting disk images is what it excels at.

Admittedly, long file name display could use some work (and is being worked on for the 1.1 code branch). Currently, the long name is only displayed once you select a file - so a truncated name is displayed in file list. If you tap one, its long name is displayed the top of the screen and scrolls as necessary - scrolling could be faster however). Once you're satisfied you've selected the one you want, you tap OK and the disk is loaded into the slot. Pretty easy really.

You may still go with Lotharek's device - which is fine, I have a number of his products (received another U1MB just yesterday in fact) - but I wanted to set the record straight about what the

SDrive-MAX can do. :)

EDIT: I just flashed the v1.1 beta code branch to my SDrive-Max and scrolling speed at the top is improved and even better, the long file name is displayed in the bottom status window using multiple lines if necessary - this is important since a lot of the disk file archives we all use have naming conventions that describe publisher, year, PAL/NTSC, etc.

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2