IGNORED

Double Hi-Res Graphics

whiteplanet

Mark O

When you port, Swinth, will you do it in BASIC or assembly?

If it is in assembly I would be curious in the code.

I don't think BASIC could handle it..

Glen Bredon wrote the Merlin Assembler, ( AKA Big Mac ), so Swish should be in 6510 Assembler for the C64..

I would love to find the original Swish and Synth Assembler Code, or at least the Machine Language, to see how they work separately..

MarkO

• 2 months later...

Thanks Mark I will have a look at it.

I have trouble accessing the archive.org site so I

will access it via

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/documentation/magazines/softalk/

Regards

I "stumbled across it", while looking for something else..

I wonder, sometimes, how come this article wasn't found earlier with Google Searches, but I have to remind myself that with the popularity of Apple ( the company ) today, a simple search for "Apple 2 Double High Res Graphics" is not going to reveal many "relevent" Results...

eBay was (is) pretty bad, when searching for "Apple 2", and getting a Whole Lot of "iPad 2"..

MarkO

I "stumbled across it", while looking for something else..

I wonder, sometimes, how come this article wasn't found earlier with Google Searches, but I have to remind myself that with the popularity of Apple ( the company ) today, a simple search for "Apple 2 Double High Res Graphics" is not going to reveal many "relevent" Results...

eBay was (is) pretty bad, when searching for "Apple 2", and getting a Whole Lot of "iPad 2"..

MarkO

You will get better results if a search is done using the words "vintage" and use "II" instead of the number "2". This will still pull up a lot of the older Macs but weeds out a lot of the new products.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

this has come up recently and could be

interesting in the near future.

www.6502workshop.com

Hi, I'm half of the 6502 Workshop team developing Nox Archaist. Thanks for the interest in the game. If you guys have any questions or suggestions about the game feel free to let me know.

Hi-Res Graphics & Animation Using Assembly

Language by Leonard Malkin

It is detailed explanation/examples of graphics

for the Apple ][ and also includes Double-HIRes

Graphics.

We have a copy of the Malkin book. I could post some info from it if there are specific pages you'd like to see. Unfortunately I don't have a scan of the entire book.

Here is the table of contents:

http://imgur.com/a/QPrZq

81dPORF.jpg?1

L0D9iqC.jpg?1

ZmiphJr.jpg?1

Edited by 6502Foreman
  • Like 1

You will get better results if a search is done using the words "vintage" and use "II" instead of the number "2". This will still pull up a lot of the older Macs but weeds out a lot of the new products.

I have not thought to add the word "vintage", but I typically use "2", "II" and "][" in searches...

Thanks for the Tip....

MarkO

• 6 months later...

I took an article "Sixteen colors and beyond; extended hi-res graphics on the Apple." from Creative_Computing_v11_n02_1985_Feb and typed source again

Result is not what I expected. Maybe source has mistakes?

I will take a look at this in a bit...

MarkO

• 2 months later...

MarkO, did you find a solution?

MAN!! I am Sorry... I have So Many "Irons in the Fire", I forgot about this...

I just downloaded the Magazine Issue and will look over your Code and the Article and Test it Out...

( This looks like a really good article.... )

MarkO

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, now that I have my Apple IIc, I am planning to start programming again and Double Hires was something I was always trying to learn. Back in the 80's I figured out a lot about how they work and basically wrote my own routine to transfer disks between my Laser 128 and a PC using Copy II+ on the Apple side and a terminal program and QuickBasic on the PC. I also wrote a program to display Double Hires graphics images on a PC. However, doing anything besides images was difficult to nearly impossible until I purchased ZBasic. ZBasic is a great alternative to Applesoft Basic. I wrote the board game "Risk" using double hires graphics and a mouse. Right now my Risk program is sitting on a lonely 3.5 inch disk that I can't read at the moment. I do have a MAC LC III with Apple IIe card that can read 3.5 inch disks, but the serial port has too many pins compared to my IIc cable I use with ADTPro. So reading that floppy is on hold until I either buy or make a cable or adapter.

Sorry for rambling, but in summary, if you learn ZBasic, then Double Hires becomes very easy to use. The only weird thing is you have to program in 1024x768 resolution which is automatically converted to the 140x192 display by Zbasic. When designing your graphics you have to do the math to know where your coordinates should be in the 1024x768 world. The reason they did this is so your basic program could be easily ported to other platforms such as a PC.

Aside from all of this, as a challenge, I am looking forward to reading through the above posts and learning how to better do DHR with Applesoft.

• Like 1

MarkO, did you find a solution?

After the First Horizontal Line, it seems to Skip Every Other Column...

It's Not so Noticeable on Real Hardware:

gallery_34814_1848_1569438.jpg

But when I ran the HGR1 program on AppleWin, you can see in the Upper Left Corner a Blue line segment, and then for every Horizontal line that is dropped, the Line Segment is just a Pixel...

gallery_34814_1848_72568.png

gallery_34814_1848_1226.png

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

Where on the site can we find the book? It's a little hard to navigate. Thanks!

My "first guess" was, "/PDF___Other_documents":

http://quartdepomme.fr/quartdepomme/PDF___Other_documents_files/ISBN%200-8104-6758-5.pdf

110MB!!!

MarkO

Edited by MarkO