IGNORED

Intellivision 'Dual Action' Controller...

nurmix

By the way, this controller works equally well on the original consoles as it does on the Flashback. I kept the controller wiring in the 'Flashback layout', so in order to use it on a real console you'll need an adapter (which obviously I have plenty of). I figured this gives it the most versatility; although certainly it's easy enough to just wire it for an Intellivision II / Sears, should I decide to make these for people down the road.

It is really too bad we can't buy individual controllers from ATGames or Intellivision Prod. I could see a use for 200 of these (of course that would mean buying 400 stock controllers)

I agree. Keith Robinson was disappointed that AT Games never delivered on their initial promise of making extra controllers available.

So... what are you planning that would require 200 of these??

PM me if you'd rather keep it private.

I agree. Keith Robinson was disappointed that AT Games never delivered on their initial promise of making extra controllers available.

So... what are you planning that would require 200 of these??

PM me if you'd rather keep it private.

I would think that the controller design is owned by Keith and that he would have some sort of leverage with ATGames to make them live up to the agreement, or at least get the factory ATGames used to make a quantity of them for Keith to sell on his site.

As for what I would use 200 for?... NOT Robotron, that for sure, but it would be easy enough to program a couple of my games to use this alternate joystick, selectable from an Options menu.

I'll PM you in a day or two.

• Like 1

Detailed pictures of the internals.

Some things to note for those wanting to do this - in no particular order...

There is "un-shrunk" heat shrink tubing between the two matrix wire connections to prevent shorts. I thought about putting heat shrink on all 18 wire connections, but this would limit flexibility, and isn't really necessary as long as the pins are straight, and there is something non-conductive between the two connector layers.

The lower controller housing was roughly filed out to make more room where the wires and connectors sit, and the screw hole posts where the Flashback controller daughter board would screw into have been mostly removed, as they aren't needed. The underside of the top controller housing was filed a bit too, to make more room, but isn't shown in the pictures.

The lower controller housing is also filed down a little along the (internal) sides where the matrices fit in the side-button area to make room for both matrices. The side button traces are masked off with thin painters tape on the KEYPAD matrix. I didn't find the need to cut portions out there as the side button performance was fine - even with both matrices layered.

The lower disc/side button matrix has it's keypad masked off with thin paper.

You can see the thin 'freezer bag' plastic I put between the cut disc area of the KEYPAD matrix (red outline to make it more visible in the photo) just to make sure no accidental connections happen there - even with the cut-out areas. And the numeric keypad 'top' also has some additional upside down "V" notches cut into it to better fit in the lower controller housing.

The controller wires are soldered to the pins of the matrix connectors. The plastic housing of these two connectors have also been filed down slightly, again, to make things fit. Obviously you have to desolder these connectors from the daughter boards first.

I made another hole for the second controller cable to exit the lower housing, and filed down one side of each of the wire 'stress relief' boots so the two cables would sit side by side evenly.

I think that pretty much sums it up. The controller works just as well as you would expect a standard Flashback controller to work, and other than the second cable coming out of the housing, you can't tell the difference visually between the two.

If anyone is interested in having me make one of these for you, let me know. I haven't decided on a price yet (it's A LOT of work), but if people actually want them, I'll come up with something.

DAC_internals_01.jpg

DAC_internals_02.jpg

DAC_internals_03.jpg

DAC_internals_04.jpg

DAC_internals_05.jpg

DAC_internals_06.jpg

DAC_internals_07.jpg

DAC_internals_09.jpg

DAC_internals_11.jpg

DAC_internals_12.jpg

DAC_internals_13.jpg

• Like 6

This seems like a fairly painstaking process, Nurmix. I know you do this stuff "for the love of the game", but if there is any kind of wish list of your to make this easier, what would it be? Is there a way to buy some of the parts pre-cut or something so you wouldn't have to do all if the work yourself, post-prototyping?

This seems like a fairly painstaking process, Nurmix. I know you do this stuff "for the love of the game", but if there is any kind of wish list of your to make this easier, what would it be? Is there a way to buy some of the parts pre-cut or something so you wouldn't have to do all if the work yourself, post-prototyping?

None of the work is difficult, just time consuming. Sure, it would be nice if the matrix connectors didn't have to be desoldered from the daughter boards. And cutting the matrices is a bit tedious. But really, there's not much I could do to speed up the process, other than prepping/filing extra controller housings in advance or something, if I were to start making these for people.. That's just the nature of doing things like this. The fun is in figuring it out and making it work.

None of the work is difficult, just time consuming.

I think if we're talking about new production stuff, it would be very cool to have a different mylar matrix created - one that completely separates the two sets of tracings to two different edge connection areas. I don't know what goes into making those.

I think if we're talking about new production stuff, it would be very cool to have a different mylar matrix created - one that completely separates the two sets of tracings to two different edge connection areas. I don't know what goes into making those.

No idea what it would cost or how to go about making a custom matrix. That issue aside, I think it could be 'boiled down' to a single matrix of 4 sections (maybe 5 with a clear / masking layer) and folded over itself in a similar way to the existing one. It would have two ends to connect the 18 wires. Of course if we're going to go that far, custom controller housings with large recessed areas already cut out for the wire area would be sweet. But given the small market, I don't think any of this is feasible from a cost perspective.

My mistake, Shark! Shark! controls are separated.

Good point... you'd be moving player 1's fish with the disc, but darting player 2's! Might make for a fun challenge if this could be done using the ECS for player 2 to use a Dual Action controller too... Dammit, stop DARTING me into the shark!!!

Edited by nurmix

Paul's dreaming up some crazy configuration here. Two players, each using a double action controller, but the only way they can be connected is with two Y-adapters... WAIT! I SEE WHAT HE'S DOING HERE!!! IT'S A CONSPIRACY TO SELL LOTS OF HIS DB9 DOODADS!!!

No, it would need to be a modded version of Shark! Shark! that used both controller ports of the Intellivision console for player one, and both ports of the ECS for player 2.

But now you got me thinking... I haven't plugged this beast into one of my Y-adapters and then into a single controller port on the Intellivision... sounds dangerous.

[emoji6]

That is really nice! And with the newer controllers maybe a bit easier to work with.

Nevertheless, I need to see if this is possible with the Intellivision 2 controllers.

Actually those suck, need to find me a cheap Intellivision Flashback. ;)

• Like 1

That is really nice! And with the newer controllers maybe a bit easier to work with.

Nevertheless, I need to see if this is possible with the Intellivision 2 controllers.

Actually those suck, need to find me a cheap Intellivision Flashback. ;)

Thanks. Yeah, I recommend going with the Flashback controllers. It takes some work but it all eventually fits.

Hey, guys.

I'd like to get an idea of the number of people here (if any?) who would be interested in buying one of these controllers.

Anyone interested would need to send me 2 Flashback controllers, and would get the spare parts back along with the Dual Action Controller if desired. Parts cost is small, so you're essentially paying for the time involved in making them. I haven't decided on a final price yet, and I'm thinking about 'branding' them in some way to differentiate them from standard controllers (maybe a case/box too), but if there is no interest, I won't bother.

You would pay to ship your Flashback controllers to me, but return shipping would be included in the price (slightly higher for Canada, Europe, etc, as I'm in Los Angeles).

Respond here or send me a PM.

Thanks.

I guess everyone would end up with a spare Intellivision Flashback console in this scenario,. And ... nothing wrong with a backup (for those keeping score, I have 4 Intellivision Flashbacks, and 2 Colecovision Flashbacks)

Of course as I mentioned a while back, the Dual Action Controllers work with the original consoles (with appropriate adapters) and the Flashback (no adapters required). I think that's the most versatile setup, since, if you use it with the original 2609 Intellivision, you'd want to have Flashback adapters installed for ease of controller connection/removal anyway.

Maybe I'll also offer a bundle with Flashback adapters included; for those who don't already have them?