IGNORED

Is it possible to program a game for the emulator?

Buffki

The hardest part will probably be animating the polygons and building them right? Even simple polygon models can take days right? (not including textures).

You all think 3D platformer would be the best game for a beginner? Or does the genre matter much?

Quite correct. Using an already well supported and documented application to build low poly count models and texture them with ultra low resolution textures will be much harder than creating your own 3D engine on custom RISC cpus that you have never heard of before.

That part is simple, after all it only needs programmer skills like logic flow, assembly, understanding Japanese RAM, math, etc. Making the poly models 'only' needs an artist.

You'll be done by the weekend!

• Like 2

Well, I had sod get in my eyes (know that is not an excuse). I took a break from learning to program because of that. The hardest part will probably be animating the polygons and building them right? Even simple polygon models can take days right? (not including textures).

You all think 3D platformer would be the best game for a beginner? Or does the genre matter much?

Sorry to break the news, but this tells me that jaguar coding really isn't for you. If you want to code on a retro platform and it has to be Atari, get yourself an Atari 800XL and a SIO to PC device and start at the bottom with BASIC. There is still plenty of fun to be had on an 8-bit platform. The Altirra emulator will come in handy too. Once you get your head around BASIC then you can progress to 6502 assembler.

Failing that, download the free version of GameMaker: Studio and start having fun.

• Like 2

Okay I will try to shift over to gamedev.net. Thank you all for humoring me.

Sorry to break the news, but this tells me that jaguar coding really isn't for you. If you want to code on a retro platform and it has to be Atari, get yourself an Atari 800XL and a SIO to PC device and start at the bottom with BASIC. There is still plenty of fun to be had on an 8-bit platform. The Altirra emulator will come in handy too. Once you get your head around BASIC then you can progress to 6502 assembler.

Failing that, download the free version of GameMaker: Studio and start having fun.

Ah okay no thank you. I do not mean to be rude but I am looking to make a polygonal 3D game even if it takes 10 times longer than a 2D game would. I have tried learning programming numerous times but it just goes over my head lol. I know 22 is pretty late to start. When did you all start learning development? When I was a younger I dabbled in RPG maker... I was interested in creating a low poly game that could be ported across many OS and platforms (smartphones, PC, etc).

My dad bought me a playstation when I was a kid (pretty spoiled) in like 1998 or 1999 I can't remember. Just Sony is not cool enough to release dev kits (well didn't matter since we sold to upgrade to ps2) but it is no biggie because it seems like PC/mobile is better suited for me anyways. I might be able to get like 20 bucks for the ps2. Would you all recommend buying a book or just using free internet tutorials like CPP.com Free to play seems like a good model with optional microtransactions.

Playstation does not sound Japanese which is kind of funny because Atari does sound Japanese but is American.

While I am here though, what was first Taito's Astro Race or Atari's Space race? Since you are all enthuisiasts and I am 22. http://ultimatehistoryvideogames.jimdo.com/

Oh and one more quick inquiry... Why didn't Atari make a Jaguar version of Gauntlet Legends if they owned the IP? Was it too intensive?

Quite correct. Using an already well supported and documented application to build low poly count models and texture them with ultra low resolution textures will be much harder than creating your own 3D engine on custom RISC cpus that you have never heard of before.

That part is simple, after all it only needs programmer skills like logic flow, assembly, understanding Japanese RAM, math, etc. Making the poly models 'only' needs an artist.

You'll be done by the weekend!

Psssh, with my skills I will be done in 4 years with a simple 3D game if I can even make one. I probably will go for the Top Down perspective.

(I did not know Tic Tac Toe was based from Roman history).

Love the ambition here... see you in 20 years and several 2D puzzle games later. :lol:

Speaking of puzzle games... Tetrisphere *still* needs to be ported over. Should you wish to accept this challenge... :rolling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrisphere

attachicon.gif N64_Tetrisphere.PNG

Nintendo would sue me to hell and back. They shut down the Unity Mario 64 remake pronto right?
Alpha Waves was the first 3D platformer and Banjo Kazooie is way better than Mario 64... Is the reason people want Mario because it would be easier to port (less system intense or something).

Maybe if Microsoft bought Tetrisphere's studio than they could remove any reference to Nintendo and let fans/hobbyists do as they please right?

Buffki,

Learning to program is quite commendable. However, learning programming on a 20 year old, no longer supported platform is probably not the right choice.

I appreciate your enthusiasm.

-Pete

Thanks, I know a lot of people are ambitious though. That is why I am trying not to flatter myself until I have some form of results.

Edited by Buffki

Why didn't Atari make a Jaguar version of Gauntlet Legends if they owned the IP? Was it too intensive?

Firstly, Atari Corporation and Atari Games were two different companies. Atari Corp. made the Jaguar. Atari Games made Gauntlet Legends.

Secondly, by the time Gauntlet Legends was released the Jaguar was dead. Atari Corp. had gone the way of the dodo by 1996.

I did not make that site that I linked. That is someone else's site. I just thought I would check all his links and stuff and try to contribute. Maybe to make a little money on the side.

Firstly, Atari Corporation and Atari Games were two different companies. Atari Corp. made the Jaguar. Atari Games made Gauntlet Legends.

Secondly, by the time Gauntlet Legends was released the Jaguar was dead. Atari Corp. had gone the way of the dodo by 1996.

Ah okay, thanks. Sucks they never did a PC port of that game oh well.

"In 1973, Atari's Space Race was a space-themed arcade game where players controlled spaceships that race against opposing ships, while avoiding comets and meteors. It was a competitive two-player game controlled using a two-way joystick, and was presented in black and white graphics.[1] The same year, Taito released a similar space-themed racing game Astro Race, which used an early four-way joystick.[2]?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_video_game#1970s

This means Atari did Space Race first right? None of the developers are listed on the wiki page but I guess that is common of arcade games right?

Yes, 3D platformers are the best way to learn to program. All the basics about logic and syntax are pointless wastes of time. Go straight to 3D.

There is a way to do 2D without sprite graphics right? 2D is not necessary is it? As long as I learn the fundamentals of C++ right?